The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,226      

jmilt7

Waukegan
sorry to be that guy but after looking back 10-15 pages i can't find any info about JW saying that Walker will for sure be on the next staff... anyone care to explain why people are saying that

I was kinda hoping for an answer on this one, too. I am behind in the posts as usual, about 10 pages behind. This was on page 162 and I looked at the next three pages through 165 then I had to go and didn't see an answer. Anyone?

#4,227      
sorry to be that guy but after looking back 10-15 pages i can't find any info about JW saying that Walker will for sure be on the next staff... anyone care to explain why people are saying that

You can't blame them for wanting to keep this recruiting class in tact. Walker is the best way to potentially ensure they stick together. That being said, we cannot know anything about Walker's status if we know nothing about who the coach will be at Illinois.

#4,228      

illini80

Forgottonia
I was kinda hoping for an answer on this one, too. I am behind in the posts as usual, about 10 pages behind. This was on page 162 and I looked at the next three pages through 165 then I had to go and didn't see an answer. Anyone?
JW said in the press conference that he would encourage the new coach to keep him on staff. Most are hoping if that happens that we could keep all the recruits. Nothing is for sure until a HC is hired and makes that call.

#4,229      
42ae61533b2a8c23b36e14e85a4aeb82.gif

IllinoisLoyalty right now.

#4,231      
It is true that LA does not care about sports in general

There is very little sense of community in SoCal. It's a disjointed collection of parts that don't fit together. As someone once said, the LA area is 100 suburbs in search of a city. They only support winners, and even then it is more of an image thing that you appeared at a certain event. Few real hard core fans, and many of those are "From Back East" transplants. USC football has some hard cores, and the Dodgers have some. When they are good, the Lakers are the closest thing to a regional team that a lot of people support. It's a real culture shock when someone from fly-over country gets caught living in that bizzare environment. You'll appreciate Champaign like never before after spending a couple days in the LA Basin. You'll see corn fields in a whole new light.

#4,234      

illiniCA

DC Area
There is very little sense of community in SoCal. It's a disjointed collection of parts that don't fit together. As someone once said, the LA area is 100 suburbs in search of a city. They only support winners, and even then it is more of an image thing that you appeared at a certain event. Few real hard core fans, and many of those are "From Back East" transplants. USC football has some hard cores, and the Dodgers have some. When they are good, the Lakers are the closest thing to a regional team that a lot of people support. It's a real culture shock when someone from fly-over country gets caught living in that bizzare environment. You'll appreciate Champaign like never before after spending a couple days in the LA Basin. You'll see corn fields in a whole new light.

I grew up in SoCal and went to school at :shield:

You are pretty spot on. Even the lakers dont get support when they are bad

#4,237      
Could it possibly be that those who want Monty post disappointment when it is thought that he won't come, and those that don't want him post disappointment when he might come?

Sorry to single this post out, but there have been at least 4 of these today. There are lots of fans and we all have different opinions. Most only post to get frustration off of our chests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a fair point. My point is, there isn't a perfect hire. People can learn to recruit, very few can learn to coach. There are a lot of good coaches that are potentially available us, each with pros and cons. Everyone has the right to their opinions, but how many people have watched a lot of Dayton or UNCW basketball outside of a few games. Monty has as good of an opportunity to be successful as any of the other top coaches mentioned here (who I would also be ecstatic with).

#4,239      
So no other schools are interested in Monty Williams but Illinois needs to pay him $5m ?.....

The number would be high to entice him to coach in the NCAA over waiting for an NBA offer. Not because we are battling other colleges for his services.

#4,242      
Seriously. What are some of these posters' problems?!

They see Monty's average NBA record as if that's an indication of how he'll do in the college game. It's a completely different situation. You create your team in the college game whereas in the NBA, if you have a bad roster, there's nothing you can do.

#4,245      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Keatts meeting with NCst.

Waiting for UVa's while options dwindle?

What do people think? Will Whitman be the one left holding the bag? Or end up being the "smartest guy in the room"?

Betting on smartest guy in the room. But, I'm optimistic at this point.

#4,249      

Deleted member 228346

D
Is Archie the only name out there that nobody has complaints about?

Status
Not open for further replies.