The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,529      
This whole process makes it much easier to understand that "tourney or bust" is almost a necessary criteria for letting a coach go. I know there were many who felt that Groce should be fired even if we snuck into the tourney. Can you imagine how much more difficult this would be (for JW and this board) if we were in the tourney only to get beat by 30 points last night? Meanwhile, Martin and Keats gone, IU open, and we aren't even opening the job until Monday.

Also, I really have no point here - just rambling.

Join the club lol

#4,532      

Deleted member 569417

D
Do you compromise on a coach just to keep Tilmon or do you risk losing Tilmon(and no true big on the roster) for your homerun hire of a coach.

Short term goals = Tilmon
Long term goals = homerun hire of a coach
Which, Illinois being Illinois will mean we'll hire a coach that is far less than a home run while also losing Tilmon at the same time

#4,533      

Deleted member 569417

D
Thats the Oklahoma reference I was making... Loren says Henson loves him.

Well, hell then, hire him! Old timers love him!

Also only makes $1M a year which makes him super cheap! I'm sure that's just a weird coincidence.

#4,536      
Buncha made up !!!! for $800, Alex. :thumb:

No kidding! Arguably some of the stupidest logic I have ever heard. I live in KS. Born and raised in Central illinois though! Anyway, WSU is not joining a P5 conference. The only chance is the Big East, and I just don't see that. Any other conference and they would have to have football.

WSU did a cost analysis and Football was deemed not worth the price.

#4,538      
Outside of the fact that Miller would not want walker, and then all the rest of it as well.... I agree.... well thought out!

#4,541      
Maybe he will bring Jawun and we'll finally have our PG. :noidea:

I know you were kidding, but from some mock drafts I've seen Jawun probably won't be playing college basketball next year. he certainly isn't going to transfer & sit out a year.

#4,545      
Miller and Walker are friends from Arizona.

Doesn't mean he'd be one of three precious slots that Miller would choose to be his army in the biggest challenge of his life.

Walker is not some giant asset soon to be a head coach in his own right. He's a guy who's holding a recruit in his back pocket. Smart leverage play for him. Not smart to tack him on as a precondition of a job whose problems are really thrown into sharp relief by that addition.

#4,546      

Deleted member 8213

D
Doesn't mean he'd be one of three precious slots that Miller would choose to be his army in the biggest challenge of his life.

Walker is not some giant asset soon to be a head coach in his own right. He's a guy who's holding a recruit in his back pocket. Smart leverage play for him. Not smart to tack him on as a precondition of a job whose problems are really thrown into sharp relief by that addition.

I agree but if you were coming into a situation like Illinois and your options were to start relatively bare like Groce did or with the cupboard half full with a top 10 recruiting class just by keeping one assistant around who you already have a relationship with... seems sort of obvious.

#4,547      

Deleted member 16068

D
JW is a smart man. All the insiders and outsiders on this board and the media have no clue where this coaching search is going. He has kept it tight and closed. I think because of that we are going to be pleasantly surprised. Can't wait until the announcement. :illinois:

#4,548      
Here's to hoping we all celebrate like this when our new head coach is officially announced

Attachments

• IMG_0582.GIF
    IMG_0582.GIF
    2.3 MB · Views: 472
#4,549      
Ok to sum up, we still know nothing. Either JW is good at keeping things quiet or we are nowhere near hiring a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.