The Illinois Coaching Staff Thread

How about we get a proven recruiting type with that last open spot for LB or DB coach

Because this is Illinois Loyalty, where we dream of famous or even sort of famous former players with little to no college coaching experience to come in and be our saviors. These players are ace recruiters who are going to come in as position coaches and coach that position like it has never been coached before. When Lovie retires after winning our first National Championship in the last 50 years, then this position coach will be promoted to be our head coach, where he will take us to even greater heights and win 20 straight championships.

If Holecek is not interested, how about Dana Howard, Kevin Hardy or Scott Studwell. See if they are interested in helping the old alma matre. Studwell in particular would be a significant addition since he oversaw all scouting and player evaluations for the Vikings for over 20 years. He retired to get off the road. Howard and Hardy both have ties to the St. Louis area and were outstanding players.

If Studwell wants to avoid the road I'm not sure an assistant's job in Div. I football is the answer.

If Holecek is not interested, how about ... Scott Studwell. Studwell in particular would be a significant addition since he oversaw all scouting and player evaluations for the Vikings for over 20 years. He retired to get off the road.

I was with the team when Studwell was there. I am now on Medicare.....

UofI08

Chicago
Looks like Nathan Scheelhaase is heading to Iowa St as a RB coach

Good for him.

There's still a spot open on the Illini staff. I understand trying to keep offense and defense split evenly but with Phair, Nickerson, Abraham, and Lovie on defense, would it have really been that bad to keep Nate as an offensive or ST assistant?

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
Phair is leaving now too.

FootballScoop Staff‏
@FootballScoop
Following Following @FootballScoop
More
Sources: Illinois defensive line coach Mike Phair has stepped down & is joining the Colts' staff coaching the defensive line

Wow. Huge loss.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
giphy.gif

UofI08

Chicago
So it took almost a month to hire the last 2 assistants. What's the over/under for when the next 2 will be hired?

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Coaches moving on to bigger and better things is always a good thing. Now let's go get outstanding replacements.

Deleted member 654622

D
I will say this...It totally sucks the position we are currently in. HOWEVER, if we can become a stepping stone "pipeline" for coaches to make it to the NFL due to the experience with working with Lovie, this will make us way more appealing to FA coaches AND recruits. Just saying, big picture outlook here

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I will say this...It totally sucks the position we are currently in. HOWEVER, if we can become a stepping stone "pipeline" for coaches to make it to the NFL due to the experience with working with Lovie, this will make us way more appealing to FA coaches AND recruits. Just saying, big picture outlook here

Yeah, but they could done it at a more opportune time, at least for us. :(

Deleted member 654622

D
Agreed. However considering the timeline of the NFL year. This will be the norm....if we become that pipeline...

Well, gratz to Phair and Scheelhaase. I hope they both do well with their new teams.

With that said, lets get a solid veteran and maybe pick up a great HS school coach on the D side and get better. Kinda can't wait to see who we get (but I suspect I will be waiting for a couple weeks).

Who is our narration coordinator?

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I don't know, but Lovie had better control the doggoned narrative.

He already lost the narrative by not letting everyone know Phair was leaving before he left.

He continues to lose the narrative every second he isn’t at a podium explaining every personal and professional reason as to why Phair left.

Honestly, we should probably have a constant live stream on Lovie so he can gain control of that pesky narrative.

/s

Deleted member 654622

D
He already lost the narrative by not letting everyone know Phair was leaving before he left.

He continues to lose the narrative every second he isn’t at a podium explaining every personal and professional reason as to why Phair left.

Honestly, we should probably have a constant live stream on Lovie so he can gain control of that pesky narrative.

/s

I am for a constant live stream on the Lovie beard to watch it grow!....like the program

Good for him.

There's still a spot open on the Illini staff. I understand trying to keep offense and defense split evenly but with Phair, Nickerson, Abraham, and Lovie on defense, would it have really been that bad to keep Nate as an offensive or ST assistant?

No, it wouldn't have been bad, but I'd rather Lovie have the coaches he wants to be there. He's got a couple years left to prove himself before people really start calling for his head and only 24 regular season games to do it in. If you think an assistant change gives you a better chance to win any of them, I think you have to do it.

Look at the basketball team. Not only are all the players new to Underwood, all the assistants are also. You know they're not completely up to speed with how Underwood wants to run things and there's probably some things getting dropped that would've got taken care of with assistant coaches that had been with him for years.

And he owes an obligation to do so because ...
To appease this discussion board?