The Kingfisher

Professional Social Distancer
Virginia
This is what happens when you let people who don't attend games make decisions.... sigh. I kinda like the Eagle myself. A tad more fierce.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
What's the relationship between a Kingfisher and Illinois? As far as my Googling skills can tell, there are no species of Kingfisher native to the state, but may migrate through.

And nothing looks dumber in my eyes than someone in a bird costume dancing around on the sidelines. Not even Purdue Pete.

Edit--apparently it is native to the state (stupid Google skills), and according to this article it is orange and blue. Although I've not seen a picture of one that has orange in it.

Last edited:
What's the relationship between a Kingfisher and Illinois? As far as my Googling skills can tell, there are no species of Kingfisher native to the state, but may migrate through.

And nothing looks dumber in my eyes than someone in a bird costume dancing around on the sidelines. Not even Purdue Pete.

Edit--apparently it is native to the state (stupid Google skills), and according to this article it is orange and blue. Although I've not seen a picture of one that has orange in it.
B88E5C53-2BF6-43AC-9F01-47AD73BA7C48.jpeg

Not making any comment on whether the kingfisher mascot is a good or bad idea. However, this picture was taken about 30 miles north of Champaign.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
AFAIK this proposal doesn't have anything to do with a name change — would be similar to Stanford having the Tree, while their team name is the Stanford Cardinal.

NW Suburbs
This is the trademarked and copyrighted logo of Kingfisher beer from United Breweries Group. I'm pretty sure that nothing with an orange and blue bird or with the kingfisher name would "fly" for use by the UIUC.

1582599551444.png

Stupid idea...if you go with a bird, use the state bird..the northern cardinal. Last year someone came up with the WWI doughboy. I liked that idea.