The Kingfisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the video of Chief's last dance. My daughter is a freshman at UI and thinks that the Chief was racist. I have tried to explain the love and respect for Chief, that he was a symbol, not a mascot, but she just sees a suburban white boy dancing around in a costume. (no offense meant to anyone, I was a suburban white boy) Watching this video brought tears to my eyes. I forwarded to her, hopefully she will see the emotion. Won't likely work, but, I can't let it go.
It can be both racist and an icon that invokes great pride in our university. One trumps the other unfortunately for the older generation.

Reactions: Ander1345 and Stevegarbs
This is great! I'm tired of the shield. I love the Block I.

The Kingfisher would make a great mascot! Think of it as a way to engage young fans!

And it would make a great t-shirt

Reactions: redbeard7278, uofi7477 and ironhand
Tyngsborough, MA
Try the Dodo if the Kingfisher fails.

Reactions: SixthandWhite and CogDog
This is great! I'm tired of the shield. I love the Block I.

The Kingfisher would make a great mascot! Think of it as a way to engage young fans!

And it would make a great t-shirt

There is a beer named Kingfisher. That can't hurt.

Reactions: Tophe and ironhand
That article reads like a 6th grader wrote it for their science fair project.

Reactions: IlliniKat91
Chicago, IL
I still say go with a doughboy, but 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Fighter of the Nightman
I still haven't seen a mascot suggestion that is anything but derivative, still potentially offensive, or lame.

Reactions: illinifan4249
Will the PC decision makers eliminate "Fighting" from the team name because they may consider it promoting violence? Sheesh!!! What next? Bring back the Chief!

Reactions: IllGuardU, illinifan4249, IllininVA and 4 others
Will the PC decision makers eliminate "Fighting" from the team name because they may consider it promoting violence? Sheesh!!! What next? Bring back the Chief!
I recall a lot of natives calling for the end of the chief. No need to turn this into a facebook fight.

Reactions: APS iMBA, IllinoisssssssVarsity, IllinoisFirst and 2 others
Crazy how out of touch most posters on here are from the current student body. Geeze, just let the kids have fun

Reactions: IllinoisssssssVarsity, redbeard7278, IllinoisFirst and 3 others
The Chief is never coming back, get over it

Reactions: SuperMetroid, uofi7477, IllinoisssssssVarsity and 4 others
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Feckless "leadership." 'Cause we really should expunge all portrayals of aboriginal Americans from the culture, even dignified ones such as CI. We can't have anyone reflecting on the original inhabitants of the prairie in the region. /s

They will take my Chief logo when they scrape it off my cold, dead chest. (not /s)

Reactions: chiefini, illinifan4249, Game Fan and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.