The new basketball uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
Because you are in the mindset that if we keep the '89 uniforms, it means we will play like we did in '89. Doesn't work that way. You can't plug that to a recruit either. "I know these uniforms are 30 years old, but they really looked good 30 years ago" when recruits want what LeBron and Steph Curry are wearing.

Not really... they honestly just look really good....

The fighting Illini ones are By FAR the best ones we have. Followed by the grey ones and not because one says fighting Illini on it but simply because they don’t have two tone lettering or stupid zig zags or a not so great font style.

I think of a schools like the blue bloods who’s jerseys don’t really change. They just get refined a touch and updated to the new style of uniform but for the most part the logo on the jersey stays the same with no stupid two tones or awful designs on them. I feel like we should be able to do the same regardless of whether it says Fighting Illini or not.

Not really... they honestly just look really good....
Thank you. No where did I say that I wanted to go back to those uniforms because we'll somehow magically play better. They're simply that best ones we have right now so why only save them for "special occasions"?
And I couldn't care less what recruits think looks good. I think that matters a lot less than it does in football (and I think it's draw in football is pretty overstated).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
Well, at least Golden States primary uniforms do a good job of respecting their uniforms of the 70's and early 80's while adding some subtle modern touches. I would much rather see us do that than trust some artsy person at nike to come up with what we ended up with.

Totally cool with that. I think we could find a way to make something like that happen.

I don't disagree that those throwbacks aren't the best looking ones we have. but it's 2017. You can't recycle the old and claim it new. But, to say "I couldn't care less what recruits think" is just ignorant and justifies my point that it's just trying to revive the basketball program via uniforms. I agree you never said that, but it's the underlying tone to the point. Everyone wants to claim a "new era" but still living in the past.

But to tell you where my mind was, I thought we should have built a brand new stadium instead of the renovation. So take it for what its worth. :thumb:

See I think change just for change's sake is saying the same thing though. "Well we sucked in these old uniforms so maybe if we change them for the 4th time in 10 years, we'll look better AND we'll play better." Same argument just a different angle. Everyone wants to claim a new era every time they add a zig zag, two toned lettering, shoulder stripes, new fonts. I'm not a moron, I don't think uniforms are connected to performance in any way shape or form. But if you have to wear them, why look like idiots? Why not wear the best possible look? Hey, if you or Nike or whoever come up with something better than the Fighting Illini ones, I'll embrace them whole heartedly. Until then, let's rock on with our badsevles.
And, just so you know, I was born in 1989 so I never watched our team play in the original versions of our throwbacks, I have no special touchy feely attachment to them other than they look great (I was a sophomore in HS in 04-05 so I do have a touchy feely relationship to those unis).
The problem with constantly rebranding is it's damn hard to stop. Look at the NCAA, some schools have the same look they've had for decades, others change every 3 years, there's not many in between.
Going back to a classic look doesn't mean you have to "Claim it's new". In fact only Illinois fans would probably know about the old ones anyway. Do you think recruits are so well versed in Illini lore that they'd know or even care that this had been the look 30 years ago?

Unfortunately I don't think any of the rebrand stuff is going anywhere, at least for a while. So we know what font we will use and have our number style already set. Get rid of the two tone font though, it's awful.

I'd prefer these combinations. Put "Fighting Illini" on the white and orange jerseys and just "Illinois" on the blues. Fighting Illini text would be above and below the numbers like on the '89 throwbacks.

Jersey Color: White
Text: Fighting Illini
Text Color: Blue w/Orange Trim
Number Color: Orange w/ Blue Trim

Jersey Color: Blue
Text: Illinois
Text Color: Orange w/White Trim
Number Color: White w/ Orange Trim

Jersey Color: Orange
Text Color: Blue w/White Trim
Number Color: White w/ Blue Trim

I think that's a solid base that uses the current rebrand and still keeps it simple while taking a little from the '89 and '05 uniforms.

Once that is set up its really just playing around with the side striping/other markings, which you would be able to change out every few years for a fresh look if you wanted. Maybe for starters use stripes matching those on our football helmets from last year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think any of the rebrand stuff is going anywhere, at least for a while. So we know what font we will use and have our number style already set. Get rid of the two tone font though, it's awful.

I'd prefer these combinations. Put "Fighting Illini" on the white and orange jerseys and just "Illinois" on the blues. Fighting Illini text would be above and below the numbers like on the '89 throwbacks.

Jersey Color: White
Text Color: Blue w/Orange Trim
Number Color: Orange w/ Blue Trim

Jersey Color: Blue
Text: Illinois
Text Color: Orange w/White Trim
Number Color: White w/ Orange Trim

Jersey Color: Orange
Text Color: Blue w/White Trim
Number Color: White w/ Blue Trim

I think that's a solid base that uses the current rebrand and still keeps it simple while taking a little from the '89 and '05 uniforms.

Once that is set up its really just playing around with the side striping/other markings, which you would be able to change out every few years for a fresh look if you wanted. Maybe for starters use stripes matching those on our football helmets from last year.

I am on board with this, anything and I mean anything is better than the sophomoric zig zag look...c'mon man!

I read somewhere that there will be rebranded jerseys next year. Been in the works but there wasn’t enough time to get them out for this year. Sorry for not havin a link, I can’t remember where I read it. Heck, might’ve been here for all I can remember.

Rob07

San Francisco
But, to say "I couldn't care less what recruits think" is just ignorant and justifies my point that it's just trying to revive the basketball program via uniforms.
Not sure if you saw, but our headline 2018 BB recruit's new profile pic is him in the throwbacks. That puts a bit of a damper on the idea that young recruits don't like the uniforms ;)

DMikf3MVQAApDpy.jpg

I think they are great looking and classic. And, I'm 31 so I'm not riding nostalgia. I attended '04-'07, love the team of that era, hate the uniforms of that era.

As a student here at UIUC, I see kids walking around with the 89' unis everyday. Never once seen someone rocking the zigzag at red lion on game days.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Does anyone sell the throwback Fighting Illini ones? They aren't on the fightingillini.com store.

Frank Dux

Hong Kong
if you're ever in Korea they can make anything for about $25 American. just show them a pic of what you want. my buddy got a k Nunn retro

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
if you're ever in Korea they can make anything for about $25 American. just show them a pic of what you want. my buddy got a k Nunn retro

Taxi ride from Airport to jersey maker, $20
Hotel room in Korea, $75
Roundtrip flight to Korea, $3500
Knock off K Gill 13 Flyin Illini Orange Jersey, Priceless.....

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
My kid was on some site the other day, looking at the cheap jerseys. They had an orange Fighting Illini Kenny Battle #33 jersey that I told him to get! He ended up getting a Red Davidson Curry jersey instead... SMH...

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
My kid was on some site the other day, looking at the cheap jerseys. They had an orange Fighting Illini Kenny Battle #33 jersey that I told him to get! He ended up getting a Red Davidson Curry jersey instead... SMH...

get the site name please

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Love to know if the sight is legit and transaction process seems safe.

DO NOT BUY.. Unfortunately I bought one (Kenny Battle) and it was black and orange... Not blue :( and they were selling a white version that was black and not blue as well.. It was hard to tell on the website with their photos..

If this trend of rolling the waistband down down is going to continue can we please make the inside of the shorts the same color as the outside? I can't stand that look of a white belt on an orange or blue uniform, just disrupts the continuity of the whole thing. Which is probably hypocritical because I like the look of the waistband on the flyin' illini ones, but there it makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

297.png

If this trend of rolling the waistband down down is going to continue can we please make the inside of the shorts the same color as the outside? I can't stand that look of a white belt on an orange or blue uniform, just disrupts the continuity of the whole thing. Which is probably hypocritical because I like the look of the waistband on the flyin' illini ones, but there it makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

297.png

The waistband rolling is a point of emphasis in HS bball in texas. You would be happy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.