The return of Illinois-Missouri series?

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
As long as it is not the first game of the season, I'm OK with it.

Mattoon-Charleston Area
I would be in favor of a home-and-home set up going forward. I agree with KBLEE that it probably shouldn't be first game but a last non-conference game would be good. I'd love to see my Illini be my cousin's Tigers!

Agree with the earlier posters. Not the first game of the season, and mix in some home-and-home. And, if they can wait until Gary Pinkel retires, that would be even better. ;)

I know a lot of you guys complain about push over schedules, but it would not bother me if all four non-conference teams were low-grade D1A teams until we start ranking in the top of the west year after year and have been to numerous minor and mid-level bowls. You are not relevant until you are consistent, and playing non-conference teams who have more than a 50% chance of beating you is not smart when you play in the b10. if we can pull off say five bowls in the next five years (I think this is reasonable), then worry about upgrading the non-conference. Personally, Mo may be a toss up next year, but I'm all in favor of strengthening the long-term health of the program over upgrading the schedule and having it backfire. Playing MO and losing to them hurts recruiting in the St. Louis/Metro East. I honestly think MO is going to start sliding in the SEC. Lets have 2-3 years of teams from bottom feeder conferences and teams that tend to land in the bottom half/quarter of their conferences because the best of the b10 is not currently among the best in football, but the worst is a lot better than the worst in other conferences (there is more parity in this conference). I honestly believe that a bottom 3 team in the b10 can probably beat teh bottom half of the SEC, B12, or any other conference. Scheduling IAA teams is a nothing to win everything to lose proposition, especially when they are a top 25 team in teh IAA. No one cares that you beat them, but darn if you lose to them..

You know what's more exciting than a decent non-conference game in September?

A BOWL GAME!!!

bowl games should be the ultimate goal until the program is getting at least 6 wins per year. then we can start talking about playing Mizzou again.

You know what's more exciting than a decent non-conference game in September?

A BOWL GAME!!!

bowl games should be the ultimate goal until the program is getting at least 6 wins per year. then we can start talking about playing Mizzou again.
:eek::eek::eek::thumb::thumb::thumb:
EXACTLY MY POINT! :)
Its not like they can's schedule us for a bowl against MO.

THen, there is always the long-discussed but never implemented St. Louis Arch Bowl (or whatever they are calling it now). They start discussing it every few years, then talk dissipates. A bowl in St. Louis between a B10 (b12 or SEC) would be sweet.

I would be in favor of a home-and-home set up going forward. I agree with KBLEE that it probably shouldn't be first game but a last non-conference game would be good. I'd love to see my Illini be my cousin's Tigers!
Sure, then all our injuries from playing MO will hamper the first game of conference. That makes sense.

SAY NO TO MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hand:

Sure, then all our injuries from playing MO will hamper the first game of conference. That makes sense.

SAY NO TO MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hand:
If we really had a realistic chance of seeing 5 bowl games in the next 5 years, then there would be absolutely no reason not to play Mizzou. They are a great geographic natural rival.

We need to stop being scared to play these types of teams. One non-conference game of this caliber per season should happen for us if we are going to get, and then remain, relevant in the B1G.

Biggest thing we need more than anything though is to get better.

No thanks. Not until we at least get the program on some kind of solid footing. This is just a way to add another check to the loss column. Personally, I always hated this series. I'm not in the Loren Tate "let's play every top team we can" club. Part of building a program is smart scheduling, and we haven't done that until the last couple fo years. Don't add "Misery" back into the schedule.

Woodridge, IL
I think a 5 game series would be neat. A game in Champaign, Chicago, Columbia, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

Earliest opening on the schedule isn't until 2019 for us though.

There is literally nothing about our program currently that would suggest 5 bowl games in the next 5 years is realistic.
I'm well aware of that. I was referencing that to Can's earlier post which suggested otherwise.

I would love to see an Illini-Mizzou series brought back at some point. Those kind of rivalries are good for college football. We need to improve a lot to the point where having one high major non conference opponent is a scary prospect. I realize we are nowhere near that though and it's probably best we keep competing with other low level teams

I'm well aware of that. I was referencing that to Can's earlier post which suggested otherwise.

I would love to see an Illini-Mizzou series brought back at some point. Those kind of rivalries are good for college football. We need to improve a lot to the point where having one high major non conference opponent is a scary prospect. I realize we are nowhere near that though and it's probably best we keep competing with other low level teams
No I know i was using your post to follow up. I agree that Mizzou-Illinois is good for football and good for Illinois to have rival but right now we arent good enough.

If we really had a realistic chance of seeing 5 bowl games in the next 5 years, then there would be absolutely no reason not to play Mizzou. They are a great geographic natural rival.

We need to stop being scared to play these types of teams. One non-conference game of this caliber per season should happen for us if we are going to get, and then remain, relevant in the B1G.

Biggest thing we need more than anything though is to get better.
ITs not fear, its being practical, prudent and sensible.
So, then you agree with me then.
We should not play MO because we are not a consistent bowl team.

Last edited:
There is literally nothing about our program currently that would suggest 5 bowl games in the next 5 years is realistic.
Then you agree, we should not play Mizzou?
Until we are winning 3+ games in the B10 (which has plenty of rpi value, we should avoid playing teams with better rpis (or the stat uf your choice). ITs just plain dumb. Every year there are a ton of dumpy teams making bowls, then they can brag on it to recruits. Schedule pushovers, then you have 4 Ws outside of conference. I think 90% of the people on here agree that 2 Ws in conference is doable. SOOOOO, if we schedule dumpy teams for 5 years strait, and did not even improve, it is realistic to expect 5 bowls. I'm not talking great ones. Consistently get 6 wins, when you are getting 7, you can worry about adding a good team outside of conference. There are plenty of good teams in the conference.

I think a 5 game series would be neat. A game in Champaign, Chicago, Columbia, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

Earliest opening on the schedule isn't until 2019 for us though.
Sure, that way we can win in Champaign, and Chicago. They win in Columbia and Kansas City, and we split in St. Louis.

Such a situation gives MO exposure in Chicago, and KC is not even close to the size of St. Louis, so you essentially invite them into your big time recruiting ground and get squat in return. Such an arrangement would benefit MO enormously UNLESS we slaughtered them in CHicago, KC, and SL. I don't see that happening. IN fact, I think a split as I described above is a Best case scenario, and possibly a distant possiblity until the program is above water.

Then you agree, we should not play Mizzou?
Until we are winning 3+ games in the B10 (which has plenty of rpi value, we should avoid playing teams with better rpis (or the stat uf your choice). ITs just plain dumb. Every year there are a ton of dumpy teams making bowls, then they can brag on it to recruits. Schedule pushovers, then you have 4 Ws outside of conference. I think 90% of the people on here agree that 2 Ws in conference is doable. SOOOOO, if we schedule dumpy teams for 5 years strait, and did not even improve, it is realistic to expect 5 bowls. I'm not talking great ones. Consistently get 6 wins, when you are getting 7, you can worry about adding a good team outside of conference. There are plenty of good teams in the conference.
There are a couple problems with your scenario. First we don't have 4 cupcakes on our schedule for the next 4 or 5 years. We have at least one difficult OOC game until 2019.

Second problem is the fans are not going to settle for 6-6 forever. 5 straight years of 6-6 and middling bowl games will not awaken this fan base. Zook had 2 straight 6-6 seasons with likely more difficult schedules and got fired.

The final problem with this scenario is it has taken 15 years for us to get to 5 bowls since 1999. Our history doesn't suggest 5 straight winning seasons is likely or even possible.

Beckman needs to get to a bowl game this year and then build on it going forward with 7 or 8 wins in a season. Then you can start mixing in 6 win seasons with 8 win ones. Beating 4 cupcakes and 2 Big 10 bottom feeder won't keep his or anyone elses for long

I like the idea if it were occasionally regular. Say once every third season with regularity. Every year may work down the road but for now we could rotate them in every third year and it would be fun.