This year's experimental NIT rules

Illini_1979

Oregon
The only one I am interested in is the move to quarters from halves. It will be interesting to see what (if any) difference it makes in the flow of the game.

I wonder if the "team fouls" also resets at the end of each quarter?

Yes, they do. I read it as each team enters a 2 shot bonus after 5 fouls per quarter. No 1 and 1.

The only one I am interested in is the move to quarters from halves. It will be interesting to see what (if any) difference it makes in the flow of the game.

Based on this sentence, I believe that fouls reset each quarter.
"For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls."

Oops, too slow, I see that Spoon House got here first

Illini_1979

Oregon
Yes, they do. I read it as each team enters a 2 shot bonus after 5 fouls per quarter. No 1 and 1.

Based on this sentence, I believe that fouls reset each quarter.
"For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls."

Oops, too slow, I see that Spoon House got here first

Yup, I missed that the first time through. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Deleted member 11241

D
I don't like the shot clock only resetting to 20 sec after an offensive rebound. That's not a good one. Why should a team get punished for getting an offensive rebound and then not get to have a full possession on offense

The one thing that really drives me nuts in college basketball....is the allotted time a team has to replace a player that has fouled out of a game....I believe they have 1 min. to sub in a replacement for the player that has fouled out...time starting from when the official gives the official scorer the signal to start the clock...this is like a time out....teams go to the bench and huddle up while the coaching staff kind of acts like they are trying to figure out who to put into the game....limit the time a coach has to replace a player that has fouled out and DO NOT let the teams huddle up with coaching staff during this time....keep the game moving.....rant over

Personally think the best addition is probably the lamest--the wider lane. Matches NBA standards. Quarters I could take or leave not sure it'll impact the game much. Also indifferent on the 3 pt line. I like high scoring games so I should probably advocate keeping it where it is, though it might emphasize good offense more moving it back.

The fouling, no 1 and 1s, and shorter shot clocks are changing key parts of the game. No.

wettsten

Chicago
I don't like the shot clock only resetting to 20 sec after an offensive rebound. That's not a good one. Why should a team get punished for getting an offensive rebound and then not get to have a full possession on offense

i kind of like it. you don't have to bring the ball up the court so why do you need the full shot clock?

wettsten

Chicago
The one thing that really drives me nuts in college basketball....is the allotted time a team has to replace a player that has fouled out of a game....I believe they have 1 min. to sub in a replacement for the player that has fouled out...time starting from when the official gives the official scorer the signal to start the clock...this is like a time out....teams go to the bench and huddle up while the coaching staff kind of acts like they are trying to figure out who to put into the game....limit the time a coach has to replace a player that has fouled out and DO NOT let the teams huddle up with coaching staff during this time....keep the game moving.....rant over

in addition, limit the time the officials are at the monitor to review a play. that seems to kill the game faster than anything else. there should be a 4th official that checks the monitor when requested by the floor officials and only the 4th official can keep or reverse the call; the floor officials never get to see the monitor.

I still like 1-1's -- make them earn the 2nd shot.

Totally agree. 1-1 free throws have been a key part of the game forever. If you cannot make free throws under pressure or at all, you should be penalized. Going straight to 2 free throws will greatly diminish the roll of the free throw especially for big men who struggle with them.
(FYI - I am short!:))

in addition, limit the time the officials are at the monitor to review a play. that seems to kill the game faster than anything else. there should be a 4th official that checks the monitor when requested by the floor officials and only the 4th official can keep or reverse the call; the floor officials never get to see the monitor.

This is how replay should be handled in ALL SPORTS. Just stick an extra guy up in the booth, who is constantly watching replays and can radio down to the guys on the field/court and relay the decision.

It kinda works that way in college football. It would be a godsend for baseball and basketball, no more huddling around a screen/ just huddling around and everything gets called quickly and accurately.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I like all these changes, although I'm less concerned with moving the lane/3pt line than the quarter/foul changes.

IIRC, this quarter/foul limit was in the NIT last year when we were in it. I remember think that the game flowed a lot better. We're obviously a foul-prone team, but I think there are way too many free-throw in college regardless. It's so painful when both teams are in the bonus 6-8 minutes into a half and the next 12-14 minutes become a FT shooting contest.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
i kind of like it. you don't have to bring the ball up the court so why do you need the full shot clock?
Agreed. The first 10 seconds of the shot clock (after a made basket) are just the PG bringing the ball up the court and setting everyone up into proper positions. Resetting to 30 after an OReb was essentially giving teams "more" time than they originally had.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
The rule change I'd like most is removing the arc under the basket where taking a charge becomes a blocking foul. That's one of many rules that penalize good defense--the "impeding the cylinder" call that went against us at RU is another egregious one. The defense does everything they're supposed to do on a double-team, but somehow the offensive player is supposed to be given room?

And get off of my lawn!!!

The women have used this rule for the last couple of years. Fouls do reset each quarter for them.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The rule change I'd like most is removing the arc under the basket where taking a charge becomes a blocking foul. That's one of many rules that penalize good defense--the "impeding the cylinder" call that went against us at RU is another egregious one. The defense does everything they're supposed to do on a double-team, but somehow the offensive player is supposed to be given room?

And get off of my lawn!!!

I do miss the anticipation whenever there was a collision on a drive attempt under the basket and everyone would look to the ref to see if it was a block or charge. Now it seems every charge attempt ends up in a block because a guys heel is on the circle.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Wasn't there a reason (safety?) they extended the restricted arc?

I think the rationale is that it keeps defenders from sliding underneath a jumping player, which can be dangerous. I get that, but I also don't remember that being a huge issue before the arc was extended.

wettsten

Chicago
I think the rationale is that it keeps defenders from sliding underneath a jumping player, which can be dangerous. I get that, but I also don't remember that being a huge issue before the arc was extended.

what would the arc have to do with that? if the defender doesn't have his feet set, it's a block regardless of where the arc is. the spirit of the difference between block and charge is who was there first.

blackdog

Champaign
Moving the 3 point line back and widening the lane will make a pretty huge difference in the style of play. Makes a pack-line defense much harder and gives offenses a lot more room to operate which I personally like. You truly get to see a players skill level when you don't have 3 defenders jamming up space in the middle.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
what would the arc have to do with that? if the defender doesn't have his feet set, it's a block regardless of where the arc is. the spirit of the difference between block and charge is who was there first.

In theory, the arc prevents players from even attempting to draw a charge under the basket, thus reducing the chance of that type of collision.

Why would a wider lane do that? 3 seconds in the lane would be called more. The offense will have to spread out more, but it doesn’t necessarily change what the defense will do.

It will if the offense has guys that have to be respected at the longer three point line.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
NIT Rules Changes

So I just got back from an NIT game. Here were the rules:
3pt line moved back to FIBA distance
20 second shot clock on offensive rebound
Free throw lane extended to NBA Length
4 Quarters, fouls reset ever quarter, 5 fouls for bonus

The 4 quarters thing really changed momentum I thought. Created 4 last second shots instead of 2, and the possession arrow determined possession at the next quarter as well. ND got into the bonus the 1st quarter but then not the 2nd quarter, but would have been in double bonus if it had been normal. The time between the quarters was freaking forever as well.

The 3 point shot line changed the entire game I felt. Guys were shooting way less 3s and more long 2s(probably out of habit). Also shooting percentages for 3s were way down, which seems obvious. This led to way less stupid 3s and more down low ball movement and fast break stuff. So good thing or bad idk, but both teams did not take many 3s.

The free throw lane change looked ridiculous. College guys are much smaller. They looked humorously far apart. Huge advantage to the team defending the free throw. In fact, Notre Dame didn't even bother putting guys on the lane when they were shooting their own free throws because Brey thought it smarter to just set up their defense instead.

The offensive rebound rule seemed to have little to no impact on the game.

*Edit: Title should be Rule Changes not Rules... Whoops.