This year's experimental NIT rules

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
its always strange (funny) how some changes in the rules between college and pro always seem to make a HUGE difference in the game (football or basketball) if they were implemented.

personally, I like the college rules in football and the pro rules in hoops

So I just got back from an NIT game. Here were the rules:
3pt line moved back to FIBA distance
20 second shot clock on offensive rebound
Free throw lane extended to NBA Length
4 Quarters, fouls reset ever quarter, 5 fouls for bonus

The 4 quarters thing really changed momentum I thought. Created 4 last second shots instead of 2, and the possession arrow determined possession at the next quarter as well. ND got into the bonus the 1st quarter but then not the 2nd quarter, but would have been in double bonus if it had been normal. The time between the quarters was freaking forever as well.

The 3 point shot line changed the entire game I felt. Guys were shooting way less 3s and more long 2s(probably out of habit). Also shooting percentages for 3s were way down, which seems obvious. This led to way less stupid 3s and more down low ball movement and fast break stuff. So good thing or bad idk, but both teams did not take many 3s.

The free throw lane change looked ridiculous. College guys are much smaller. They looked humorously far apart. Huge advantage to the team defending the free throw. In fact, Notre Dame didn't even bother putting guys on the lane when they were shooting their own free throws because Brey thought it smarter to just set up their defense instead.

The offensive rebound rule seemed to have little to no impact on the game.

*Edit: Title should be Rule Changes not Rules... Whoops.

Just looked at the box score; that’s the Austin Colbert? I lost track of him.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Just looked at the box score; that’s the Austin Colbert? I lost track of him.

Holy crap. That WAS Austin Colbert. I hadn't even noticed. Wow. Well he didn't play good considering where he started and where he is now

Holy crap. That WAS Austin Colbert. I hadn't even noticed. Wow. Well he didn't play good considering where he started and where he is now
Looks like as it stands, his career high was 17 points this season against a private Christian school with an enrollment of 178 students total. And a career high 8 rebounds against the Rider Broncs, a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference team, also this season.

Woof.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
So how do they handle media timeouts? I would assume you'd just have the one per quarter under the 5:00 mark? That should help speed up the game a bit.