Tiger Tiger Woods Y'all

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
giphy.gif

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Was he way behind in this tournament or something?

Seems like he has been way behind for years. Career wise, winning this tournament and finishing second in the FedX Cup makes an argument for "greatest comeback" conversation...

IlliniSaluki

IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
After he came back from his own self inflicted stuff (divorce and all that) he had I think multiple back surgeries. This year early on he got close I think a few times (i'm just going off what I saw on the broadcast I don't normally watch golf) but this was the PGA Tour Championship. The top 30 golfers from the Tour participated. He set himself up that had Rose not finished off strong on the last hole he actually could of won the FedEx Cup which I think the winner got $10 million. He's won it twice before and one time as the world #1. Rose actually became world #1 after last weeks event and finished off the last hole with a birdie to clinch the FedEx cup.

This was Tiger's first PGA Tour win in 5 years. So yah I think it has a strong case for one of the greatest comebacks ever.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Tiger was pretty amazing this weekend. Kudos no doubt. But Ben Hogan already locked up greatest comeback 50 years ago. While protecting his wife instead while cheating on her.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...S-Open-puts-todays-heroes-in-their-place.html

Pretty amazing? Lol....kudos? Try beating the 30 best players on tour, which while technically not a major.....in the field that is the best of the year. With a fused back.
It's no doubt impressive to come back from a car wreck and some broken bones against 1950's competition, but not equal to this.
Tiger's been through his struggles for almost five years....not 11 months.
Tiger's accomplishment after what he's been through (even the self inflicted stuff) is far more impressive.
Take all the shots you want about his personal decisions, what he did this year defies astronomical odds.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-woods-win-greatest-comeback-story-sports-history-003744544.html

I don't get the logic of "he beat the 30 best players in the world" as more impressive than Hogan beat the 100 best players in the world.

And my complaint with Tiger . . . and I admit that I have no proof of this . . . is that I believe he hurt his back because of steroid use. Same as Sammy Sosa, hurting his back sneezing, I just feel that way. Could I be wrong on that? Obviously. And I don't like the guy. That's another completely blind spot that I have. So, I resist Tiger stuff, probably too much. I absolutely agree that he played one heck of a golf tournament though. And it was a pretty cool scene seeing all those people surge to the 18th green. Golf doesn't allow that stuff often enough. That was a great thing.

Pretty amazing? Lol....kudos? Try beating the 30 best players on tour, which while technically not a major.....in the field that is the best of the year. With a fused back.
It's no doubt impressive to come back from a car wreck and some broken bones against 1950's competition, but not equal to this.
Tiger's been through his struggles for almost five years....not 11 months.
Tiger's accomplishment after what he's been through (even the self inflicted stuff) is far more impressive.
Take all the shots you want about his personal decisions, what he did this year defies astronomical odds.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-woods-win-greatest-comeback-story-sports-history-003744544.html
Read up a little more on Hogan's injuries and the complications that happened afterward. He hardly had "some broken bones".

This is a man that, prior to this season, many were saying would not be able to even compete in a golf tournament again. So, yes, an incredible comeback!

I thought Lance Armstrong made the greatest comeback in sports history. I need a scorecard.

Could 1950's medicine have allowed Tiger to come back? I imagine as medicine improves, including disguising performance drugs, we'll see more "greatest comebacks."

Rocky Bleier being a 1,000 yard rusher after being wounded in the Vietnam War and losing part of his foot seems like it deserves a mention.

George Foreman regaining the heavyweight championship at age 44 springs to mind as well.

And it wasn't as warm and fuzzy, but Michael Vick's return from jail was pretty remarkable.

I didn't realize Tiger's career was in that much jeopardy, but regardless, if he's healthy enough to play, I can't be too shocked by him winning a tournament. He's better than everybody else, and it's not like golf is some impossible physical grind.

Whatever sport comeback story you side for, I think the thing Tigers got going for him his that he brought golf into the spotlight. Lebron, MJ, Peyton, Bonds, etc. etc. were all huge names in their respective sport. Tiger Woods might be the only golfer a very large amount of people know. His worth in percentage to golf far exceeds any other sports dependence on a player. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB are bigger, but there are other stars in those worlds. Sure, DJ, Spieth, Rory, and a few others are good/great golfers, but they are as boring as watching paint dry, especially compared to Tiger. No way I watch that round yesterday if Tiger wasn't in it.

Now, you add this 5 year drought, personal issues, injuries, etc. You've got a controversial figure, but you have a story to tell. That's why he'll get a lot of nods as the best comeback in sports history.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Read up a little more on Hogan's injuries and the complications that happened afterward. He hardly had "some broken bones".

I've read the entire story. I'm a huge golf fan and love Ben Hogan. His comeback is nothing short of amazing. The difference is he was the leading money winner on the tour in 1948...the year before his accident. The level of competition absolutely pales in comparison to what Tiger faced this year. Tiger hasn't won squat in five years.
He has a fused spine. Fused! Think about a golf swing, then consider what that means after four different back surgeries!
If you want to call them the greatest comebacks 1a. and 1b.....I'm totally fine with that.
It remains that what Tiger accomplished yesterday is more difficult than what Ben Hogan did, whether or not you like the guy.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I don't get the logic of "he beat the 30 best players in the world" as more impressive than Hogan beat the 100 best players in the world.

And my complaint with Tiger . . . and I admit that I have no proof of this . . . is that I believe he hurt his back because of steroid use. Same as Sammy Sosa, hurting his back sneezing, I just feel that way. Could I be wrong on that? Obviously. And I don't like the guy. That's another completely blind spot that I have. So, I resist Tiger stuff, probably too much. I absolutely agree that he played one heck of a golf tournament though. And it was a pretty cool scene seeing all those people surge to the 18th green. Golf doesn't allow that stuff often enough. That was a great thing.

It's fine that you don't like him. I don't believe he used steroids. He was, however, the first golfer to hit the weight room and build muscle to increase his power. His swing was violent and surely is responsible for his back issues. I also agree that his personal decision were pretty poor, but it's not my place to judge him. He also has had to answer to more media pressure and scrutiny than maybe any athlete in history.

All of this is part of the reason this comeback is so unbelievable. His back, his fall from grace (if you will), and the level of competition he faces EACH one individually are reasons that two or three years ago nearly everyone thought he would never win again. Much less the Tour Championship.
He overcame all of those things.

All of this is part of the reason this comeback is so unbelievable. His back, his fall from grace (if you will), and the level of competition he faces EACH one individually are reasons that two or three years ago nearly everyone thought he would never win again. Much less the Tour Championship.
He overcame all of those things.

His "fall from grace" was in 2009 and he won 8 events and had several top 10's in majors after that, but before the back stuff. And I've never heard of the Tour Championship. Golf has like ten different events that it tries to hype up as the "5th major". There are four golf events that matter. If Tiger wins one again after all these years, THAT will be the story. He came darned close a couple times this year, so obviously he's been healthy for awhile.

But anyway, I'm glad that he's back to full health and these injuries haven't cost him his career, golf is better off having Tiger Woods in it.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
His "fall from grace" was in 2009 and he won 8 events and had several top 10's in majors after that, but before the back stuff. And I've never heard of the Tour Championship. Golf has like ten different events that it tries to hype up as the "5th major". There are four golf events that matter. If Tiger wins one again after all these years, THAT will be the story. He came darned close a couple times this year, so obviously he's been healthy for awhile.

But anyway, I'm glad that he's back to full health and these injuries haven't cost him his career, golf is better off having Tiger Woods in it.

The "fall from grace" reference is to the totality of his personal issues, not just the incident with his marriage. His DWI last year was the culmination of many poor choices under the intense microscope he lived under.
Interesting that you pretend not to know or care much about most of this, but somehow come up with statistics from 10 years ago.
Golf does not have "like ten different events that it tries to hype up as the '5th major".

He only began swinging a golf club fully again about a year ago.
THE story was yesterday. Perhaps "majors" only matter to you, but the entire season matters just like it does in every other sport.

Even more unbelievable is he was one stroke....one stroke out of the tens of thousands of strokes all year....from being the FedEx Cup Champion.
Ridiculous.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Love me some Wiki.

I'll leave with this finale......if world rankings tickle your fancy.

Tiger Woods was ranked 1200th in the world one year ago. After yesterday's win he is ranked 13th.
1200th to 13th in one year. He passed 1000 golfers in one year.

If you can find a comeback that equals that anywhere in sports history, I'll....never mind....you can't.