Tim Beckman explains "Only Orange" - The Illinois uniforms/helmet thread

Interesting that they're starting this year with the patch, when the first year of the new logo was last year. I wonder if the reveal of the new B10 logos last summer happened during a time period when it wasn't feasible for all the teams to repatch their jerseys?

The new B10 logos were announced on December 13, 2010 as were the division assignments. This should have given plenty of time to get patches ready for last season. This patch might have been delayed either because it was not a high priority or was a planned delay? I have found that I like both the divisions and the logo much better now than I did when they were first announced.

Last edited:
I am fine with the league logo, and always was

I have become used to the division splits, but still think the names are ridiculous and that the league should change the names to black and blue.

also, I think the conferences that are deciding the BCS rules should get together and mandate any conference with 12 or more members play 9 league games. Also, mandate every team play a total of 10 games against BCS teams. Put all teams on a more level playing field, there by limiting these cupcake games to 2 per season.

Riverton, Illinois
Amazing.

Things that the fanbase has been clammering for for years, Beckman is making happen.

Love it. Glad we finally got a coach that "gets it".

Luke Butkus just tweeted out a link to a family photo session at Memorial Stadium, some of the photos feature the new helmet which will be used in a game or two this season-

As much as I was hoping to see the block I on the helmet, this doesn't quite do it for me and I'm not sure why. Somehow the block I seems out of proportion or disconnected from the helmet. Either they need a touch of white/orange trim somewhere else on the helmet or perhaps just go with the orange I sans white outline.

We don't get much news nowadays on Illinois sports.. But man, the news we have gotten is almost all POSITIVE (would be 100% positive if Chew hadn't left).

The renovation pictures, Maverick committing, these helmets, etc..

We don't get much news nowadays on Illinois sports.. But man, the news we have gotten is almost all POSITIVE (would be 100% positive if Chew hadn't left).

The renovation pictures, Maverick committing, these helmets, etc..
Everything seems to be headed in the right direction, and I am very hopeful. I am looking forward to the opening of the renovated AH, more commitments from guys like Nunn and Jackson, and more improvements to our football uniforms that are enticing to fans and recruits.

LOVE the new helmet. It's great to have a whole new era of Illini football underway and under new leadership!

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Love the new helmet design. In fact, that's exactly what I envisioned back when we were talking about it in a thread probably 3-4 years ago!

Chief Supporter
Michigan
[/QUOTE]

The first picture of the baby are my thoughts exactly. I hate that the helmet isn't orange. If you want to change the Illinois I'm fine with that. But what was the point of the "Only Orange" campaign, if we are changing to blue? How long has it been since Illinois had a helmet color that wasn't Orange? Beckman spoke to Robert over at ALE about tradition. Orange helmets are part of that. Don't give in to fashion trends. Go back to the curved Illini or stars with the numbers, just don't go away from Orange.

Only Orange only means something if we have orange. Why not Orange helmet with Block I in blue or white?

Long live the Chief.

Northwoods of Wisconsin
I hate that the helmet isn't orange. If you want to change the Illinois I'm fine with that. [/QUOTE]

Other old people might have a better memory than me but IIRC the helmets in the 60's were blue until Bob Blackman became coach. I don't think there were orange jerseys either. Blue was predominate with orange and white trim. He introduced the orange helmet with the curved Illini on both sides. I always preferred the blue but that was before orange became the color that identified the Illini.

Then again, I might be wrong.

The first picture of the baby are my thoughts exactly. I hate that the helmet isn't orange. If you want to change the Illinois I'm fine with that. But what was the point of the "Only Orange" campaign, if we are changing to blue? How long has it been since Illinois had a helmet color that wasn't Orange? Beckman spoke to Robert over at ALE about tradition. Orange helmets are part of that. Don't give in to fashion trends. Go back to the curved Illini or stars with the numbers, just don't go away from Orange.

Only Orange only means something if we have orange. Why not Orange helmet with Block I in blue or white?

Long live the Chief.
We aren't ditching the orange helmets. These are alternate helmets. Don't worry, they'll be plenty of orange.

As much as I was hoping to see the block I on the helmet, this doesn't quite do it for me and I'm not sure why. Somehow the block I seems out of proportion or disconnected from the helmet. Either they need a touch of white/orange trim somewhere else on the helmet or perhaps just go with the orange I sans white outline.
Maybe it is just me, but the paint on the helmet looks like a matte finish... and the Block I looks like a gloss finish. I could be wrong, but I think it would look better if the I just looked a little different.

I do still really like these though.

Edit: I think I see it as disconnected just because the I is so bright and the helm so dull. It almost looks photoshopped on.

Amazing.

Things that the fanbase has been clammering for for years, Beckman is making happen.

Love it. Glad we finally got a coach that "gets it".
I haven't heard anyone clamor for a navy helmet for years, let alone a matte one.

It's not a bad looking helmet, but it's not right for the Illini. They should only wear orange helmets. And they don't need alternate helmets when they only play 12-14 games per year. Two helmets, three jerseys, three pants - 18 combos. That's clownish.

Little Rock, Arkansas
I like the blue (black?? ;) ) helmet and the matte finish. I think it really will depend what uniform it ends up going with.

However, I would definitely like to see a matte orange. I've looked at some pictures and I think it looks good. Just go all out with orange, orange jersey, orange helmet, orange face mask, orange pants. Maybe use it to blind NW or during homecoming. Only Orange!

Also, the helmet seemed to be the quickest and easiest thing to change this year, maybe next year we will actually see what the new uniforms could be if we still decide to implement them.

I agree. I posted when it was first mentioned that we would be using these helmets that I didn't love them but given that they are an improvement, it is hard to complain. More importantly, I don't know how to improve it. I don't even know what it is that I don't like. Is it the blue of the helmet? I think it's the scale and shape of the I, but I cannot see a way to fix this. You have two issues both related to the letter I being tall, thin and angular. The angular nature looks awkward on the rounded helmet. Probably more distracting is that the long axis of the I is perpendicular to the long axis of the helmet. A short and wide letter like a W for example seems to fill the helmet much better than the I. Maybe you need to enclose it in an oval like the 49ers (IU tried this) or in another way change the visual aspect ratio.