Top Illini Point Guards

Des Moines, Iowa
Douglas held the steals record in the B1G until Craft broke it.

Kirksville, MO
If it was possible to go back and take a past PG straight out of HS and put them on this team for the next 4 years, I'm taking Larry Smith.

CU Expat
Chicago
Top PG based on what? If it's talent, then it's Deron. If it's Illini career, then it's probably Douglas. If it's likability, then it's Dee.

Los Angeles
I'm taking Frank as well, I think him and Deron were the only NBA 1st rd picks out of the group. Frank should of had a 10 year NBA career but his work ethic smeed to drop in the pros.

Los Angeles
Derek Harper was picked #11.

Someone said Harp did not play the point for Illnois, thought it was Dougals. Harp carrer at Illnois was before my time but if we're putting him at point guard yes he is better than Frank. I know he played point in the NBA and was very good.

Someone said Harp did not play the point for Illnois, thought it was Dougals. Harp carrer at Illnois was before my time but if we're putting him at point guard yes he is better than Frank. I know he played point in the NBA and was very good.

I think their careers overlapped by maybe 1 year. Harper played the 1 more often than not.

He started out at PG, then moved over to the 2 so they could get Douglas on the court with him.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
Strange as it sounds, Garris may be my favorite of all those guys. The 3-point streak was amazing, and the kid stood up to the pressure night in and night out. Second in scoring all-time, 5th in assists, 7th in steals. The kid just got it done and made his team better.

Danville,IL
Strange as it sounds, Garris may be my favorite of all those guys. The 3-point streak was amazing, and the kid stood up to the pressure night in and night out. Second in scoring all-time, 5th in assists, 7th in steals. The kid just got it done and made his team better.

I agree. But ILLINI don't honor him anywhere in State Farm Center.:tsk:

Garris carried the program for a few years. While he was a nice player, he wasn't good enough to carry an otherwise average team to any tournament success. He doesn't make the Mt. Rushmore of Illini point guards. Douglas, DWill, Frankie, Harper

Need to include a PG from the Flying Illini team - Was it Bardo or Gill more of the PG

Need to include a PG from the Flying Illini team - Was it Bardo or Gill more of the PG

Bardo and Smith. Gill strictly a wing. Bardo was not a particularly good PG in my opinion. He's the exception the rule that you need a great PG. Our 2-4 were just so dominant (3 first rounders) that Bardo and Smith merely had to be competent to make that engine run.

Of course...IMO.

Los Angeles
Top 5 #1 Harper, #2 Frank , #3 Deron, #4 Douglas #5 Garris you could make an argument for any of these guys being #1 all great players. Can't wait till we get the next great Illini point guard.

Top 5 #1 Harper, #2 Frank , #3 Deron, #4 Douglas #5 Garris you could make an argument for any of these guys being #1 all great players. Can't wait till we get the next great Illini point guard.

That's how I'd rank them as well with DMac 6th.

Bardo and Smith. Gill strictly a wing. Bardo was not a particularly good PG in my opinion. He's the exception the rule that you need a great PG. Our 2-4 were just so dominant (3 first rounders) that Bardo and Smith merely had to be competent to make that engine run.

Of course...IMO.

Bardo was pretty good. He was a shut down defender at 6'5". He was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks & was in the NBA parts of three seasons, though he didn't play much. He also played overseas for 7 seasons.

Frankie was not nearly as good as Derek Harper. During his last year at Illinois Harper played as well as any PG ever has in a single season. DWill and Harper the top two imo

Northbrook
Frankie was not nearly as good as Derek Harper. During his last year at Illinois Harper played as well as any PG ever has in a single season. DWill and Harper the top two imo
Totally agree on the top two. Frankie sure had his moments and I loved watching him play, but he was a step behind those two.