Top Illini Point Guards

Kirksville, MO
Honored jerseys The University of Illinois has honored its most decorated basketball players in school history by hanging a banner with their name and number from the rafters of State Farm Center. A total of 33 men’s players have their jersey honored. To have his jersey honored, a player must have met one of the following criteria:

Wikipedia
Garris is deserving, but doesn't meet the arbitrary requirements.

Los Angeles
Can anybody find the carrer numbers of Frank vs DWill? Man wish I would of got a chance to see Harper play live sounds like he was amazing in orange and blue. I'm 32 so missed out on him and Douglas. Did see Harper in the pros more so with the Knicks than Dallas he was a very good NBA player could only imagine him in college.

Can anybody find the carrer numbers of Frank vs DWill? Man wish I would of got a chance to see Harper play live sounds like he was amazing in orange and blue. I'm 32 so missed out on him and Douglas. Did see Harper in the pros more so with the Knicks than Dallas he was a very good NBA player could only imagine him in college.

Throwing in Harper and Douglas as well.

Frank: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/frank-williams-1.html

Deron: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/deron-williams-1.html

Harper: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/derek-harper-1.html

Douglas: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bruce-douglas-1.html

Des Moines, Iowa
I think a lot has to do with what you want out of a PG and that over time their abilities can not be as appreciated. Douglas was not a scorer but he could very well be defined as the best defender in Illini history, well since I started watching in the early 70's.

Does anyone think Harper was a better pro than he was a college player?

Last edited:
Los Angeles

Thanks! Just looking at the raw numbers DWill vs Frank might be a photo finish lol, Harper Jr year was amazing 15 pg and shot 50% from the field, wow! I know some of Franks teams should of made it farther in the tourney just because they were that good. I remember some real bad calls vs Kansas in the elite 8 and I think the same could be said vs UofA in the sweet 16. I could just be bias though lol

Orange Crush '89
Northern Illinois
Top 5 #1 Harper, #2 Frank , #3 Deron, #4 Douglas #5 Garris you could make an argument for any of these guys being #1 all great players. Can't wait till we get the next great Illini point guard.
I think this is how I'd rate them. Admittedly Harper and Douglas were nearly before my time (I was pre-teenager) so I'm not an expert.

And if you put Deron ahead of Frank I couldn't really argue much about it.

Does anyone think Harper was a better pro than he was a college player?

Unequivocally, yes. Harper had a breakout junior year offensively. But offensively, he wasn't nearly as good in college as The League. Save for a completely stacked West, he would've been an All-Star many seasons instead of one.

Top 5 #1 Harper, #2 Frank , #3 Deron, #4 Douglas #5 Garris you could make an argument for any of these guys being #1 all great players. Can't wait till we get the next great Illini point guard.

Dee Brown needs to be in the top 5

Orange Crush '89
Northern Illinois
I noticed that, yet they had Havilcek but not Lucas who played at the same time. Shrug.

Kirksville, MO
Also, Michael Redd over Jimmy Jackson at tOSU?
No Doug Smith or Jevon Crudup at Mizzou?
C'mon.

The biggest mistake, though, was leaving David Thompson off of NC State.

Depends on how you rank players.

Frank Williams' 2001 season (as a sophomore) when he won B1G POY award was the best individual season I've ever watched of any Illini PG (in college, not pros). His freshman year, he often clashed with Kruger and never got the freedom he enjoyed with Self, and in his last season people forget that Frank played injured (hand), which seriously affected his play.

Deron and Harper had steadier overall Illini careers and obviously better pro careers, which unavoidably affects people's perception of college as well.

So if you rank players based on their best individual season/performance, then Frankie gets the nod: 1. Frank, 2 Harper, 3. Deron.

If you rank players based on overall Illini career, then Harper gets the nod: 1. Harper, 2. Deron, 3. Frank.

If you rank players based on PG leadership, leading their TEAM to success, no Illini PG will come close to Deron: 1. Deron, 2. Harper, 3. Frank.

Douglas and Garris round up the the top 5, arguably Garris had the best Illini freshman season I've ever watched in my 30+ years as an Illini fan.

Last edited:
Baja Ontario
On the subject of point guards - Tal Brody was a 1965 All American, first team All-Big Ten, a second team academic All American, and a Converse top-10 player. The Sporting News picked him as one of the top 10 players in the nation. A Big Ten Championship and selected 12th in the NBA draft. (from wikipedia)

Unequivocally, yes. Harper had a breakout junior year offensively. But offensively, he wasn't nearly as good in college as The League. Save for a completely stacked West, he would've been an All-Star many seasons instead of one.

I used to play in a fantasy type league before they wer all the rage. Just a few guys at work nothing major like yodels leagues. We kept track of all stats, plus played a starting line up of "games."

Harper was one of those guys everyone wanted on their team. Good to great numbers across the board, points, assists, steals, rebounds (for a guard) you name it.. Terrific NBA career

On the subject of point guards - Tal Brody was a 1965 All American, first team All-Big Ten, a second team academic All American, and a Converse top-10 player. The Sporting News picked him as one of the top 10 players in the nation. A Big Ten Championship and selected 12th in the NBA draft. (from wikipedia)

Was in H.S. when Tal played, if there had been a 3 point shot then, he would have really torn it up. Had a great career.

Baja Ontario
Was in H.S. when Tal played, if there had been a 3 point shot then, he would have really torn it up. Had a great career.

I was in grade school (shamelessly flaunting my youthfulness). 1963 Illinois football, basketball, and baseball champions, plus Da Bears, and then the Cardinals winning it all in 1964 after being very close in '63. My allegiances were set at a young age.

Brody and Brosky do not get enough recognition, imho.