Track & Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broke Wolhuter's armory record

A record that had stood for 44 years. Even more impressive is that he did it with virtually no competition. Second finisher was 4:10+.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
One of the coolest events I've covered for UI Track. The whole place was watching and cheering him on. The last lap was electric, watching him rounding the last turn and the clock nearing 4 minutes, man was it intense.

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
3:58 isn't really that impressive.

OHHH, thought that was the half mile time;)

I kid, I kid... I remember in high school breaking 5 minutes and thought I was absolutely flying. Cant imagine running a sub 4 minute mile.

Slightly fun fact, he became the 498th American to go sub4.

Before the day, we were at 494, at the end we were at 501. A couple Oregon guys and a Hoosier did it in the morning, then Davis, then a couple pros in Boston, and then another college guy that evening.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Slightly fun fact, he became the 498th American to go sub4.

Before the day, we were at 494, at the end we were at 501. A couple Oregon guys and a Hoosier did it in the morning, then Davis, then a couple pros in Boston, and then another college guy that evening.
Seven in one day? That's got to be a record on it's own.

NJILLINI

Castle Pines, Colorado
Not in one day, but I think Illinois has had at least seven runners do it in their history. I was in grade school when my dad took me to a meet at the old track at MS to watch Lee LaBadie in the mile. He was the first Illini to do it. Not sure now if he accomplished it that day or we went just hoping he would again.

Good to see Illini T&F in the news.

Not in one day, but I think Illinois has had at least seven runners do it in their history. I was in grade school when my dad took me to a meet at the old track at MS to watch Lee LaBadie in the mile. He was the first Illini to do it. Not sure now if he accomplished it that day or we went just hoping he would again.

Good to see Illini T&F in the news.

Marko Koers ran a 3:53+ outdoors. Of course, he wasn't an American. I remember Labadie doing it and Durkin. It's a little tougher indoors, though, due to the sharp curves and the shortened track. I think only about 200 of the 500 were done indoors and I would guess that a lot of those were on banked tracks. Davis has to be one of the younger guys to have done this.

Marko Koers ran a 3:53+ outdoors. Of course, he wasn't an American. I remember Labadie doing it and Durkin. It's a little tougher indoors, though, due to the sharp curves and the shortened track. I think only about 200 of the 500 were done indoors and I would guess that a lot of those were on banked tracks. Davis has to be one of the younger guys to have done this.

The son of my college teammate did it a couple years ago as a high schooler. He was 19, though, so technically he was as old as most college freshmen. Also, he finished third in the race, so he had people pacing him.

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/matthew-maton-becomes-sixth-us-high-school-sub-400-miler

Also, there was a high-schooler from Illinois, Lukas Verzbicas, who did it in 2011.

It's a great accomplishment, but it seems like more people are doing it younger these days:

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/5...omes-the-tenth-high-school-sub-400-miler-ever

The Armory isn't even banked; tough way to do it.

Also Reiser did a 342 1500 last year. That converts to basically 4 flat. Not sure how many miles they will have on the schedule this year. Would be nice to pick up a second.

Basting ran that during a season he was running unattached. I don't think he ever actually did a sub4 as an Illini.

West prelims are done. Illinois will have decent representation at Nationals. The following qualified:

Jonathan Wells (long jump, high jump)
Devin Quinn (100m, 200m)
David Kendziera (110m hurdles, 400m hurdles)
4x100m relay

Kendziera is a beast and could put up some legit points at Nationals. Probably not enough for a team trophy, but the team could finish fairly high.

West prelims are done. Illinois will have decent representation at Nationals. The following qualified:

Jonathan Wells (long jump, high jump)
Devin Quinn (100m, 200m)
David Kendziera (110m hurdles, 400m hurdles)
4x100m relay

Kendziera is a beast and could put up some legit points at Nationals. Probably not enough for a team trophy, but the team could finish fairly high.

Is there a place to see results with times and distances/heights?

4x100 relay is out. They actually ran the 8th fastest time, but were in the fastest heat and took 6th in it. All but one team ran their season best in that heat.

Similarly, Quinn ran a solid time in the 200 but came up a little short. He's also out of the 100. Solid performance for him overall though.

Kendziera is in the finals of both hurdles, with the 2nd and 3rd best times in the prelims.

Wells finished in the middle of the Long Jump.

The hurdle finals and the High Jump will be on Friday.

4x100 relay is out. They actually ran the 8th fastest time, but were in the fastest heat and took 6th in it. All but one team ran their season best in that heat.

Similarly, Quinn ran a solid time in the 200 but came up a little short. He's also out of the 100. Solid performance for him overall though.

Kendziera is in the finals of both hurdles, with the 2nd and 3rd best times in the prelims.

Wells finished in the middle of the Long Jump.

The hurdle finals and the High Jump will be on Friday.

Link to that one?

Kendziera is in the US Outdoor Championships final today at 3:36.

I saw in an article on illiniboard that Maryland ran a 43.38 4x1 at the big ten championships. That is terrible how is that possible?

The only video I see is on flotrack, so I can't watch it.

I'd assume they were in last and the anchor jogged it in. A botched 4x100 exchange usually gets you a DQ.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
The only video I see is on flotrack, so I can't watch it.

I'd assume they were in last and the anchor jogged it in. A botched 4x100 exchange usually gets you a DQ.
Depends how it's "botched". Could be right about them jogging it in, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.