Transfers Thread

Dan

Admin
Players transferring out of Illinois
TE Henry McGrew
DB Harvey Clayton Jr.
DB Frank Sumpter
QB Chayce Crouch (has retired from football‏)
QB Jeff George Jr.
DE Sean Adesanya
WR Dominic Thieman
DB Chris James
DE/LB Christion Abercrombie
LB Julian Jones
DT Tito Odenigbo
S Patrick Nelson
OL Gabe Megginson
LB Tre Watson
Walk-on P Bryce Baringer

-------------------------------------------------------------------
LB Tre Watson transferring from Illinois
https://twitter.com/ILL_Tre33/status/935272691224981505

Last edited:
Dang, I Watson is a pretty solid player too. The good news is that Phillips is a good/great LB and we still have him next year. Beyond that, I think that Jones/Harding and some of the other younger LBs are good B1G LBs. Gabe leaving isn't great either, but less of a blow. If these are the two biggest transfers we have to deal with, all will be okay.

Now let's get some more coming our way :illinois:

All these comments are very cordial. Are all of these announcements sstrategic to get them all out of the way? Will they all be announced or will some of these be realized after the fact?

Bryce Baringer (PWO Punter) is leaving. Hayes has that position locked down obviously.

Hearing that Julian Jones, Tito Odenigbo and Patrick Nelson could be leaving as well. I truly hope none of these players are leaving.

I was expecting a lot of RS Juniors who aren't playing much (i.e. Hylton, James, Mcgrew, etc.) to be leaving, not starters.
https://twitter.com/bryce_bin18/sta...ter.com/bryce_bin18/status/935310999049170945

That would definitely escalate my previous post from very mildly concerned to very concerned. Nelson had a great year and forced a few fumbles, Jones could start next year, and Tito was solid.

FT35

Naperville
That would definitely escalate my previous post from very mildly concerned to very concerned. Nelson had a great year and forced a few fumbles, Jones could start next year, and Tito was solid.

Hopefully these rumors are not true and these guys stay put. Odenigbo could be a graduate transfer. Jones and Nelson would have to sit out a year, however, so I don't understand why they would transfer? It's not like they aren't getting playing time.

Jones was solid at WLB this year and just got hurt. He would definitely be in the mix to start next year along with Phillips, Harding and Hansen.

Nelson looks like he has the potential to play on Sundays and is one of the best players on the team. It would explain why we are pushing for so many Safeties in this class, however.

I'm not sure what to make of Tito. We're pretty deep at DT but it's a hit to depth there.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Hearing that Julian Jones, Tito Odenigbo and Patrick Nelson could be leaving as well.

giphy.gif

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
This leaves me conflicted. I want these kids to have more freedom to play where they want. They're amateur athletes who deserve the same flexibility given to just about everyone else in the workforce. However.... this is a killer for our program. It's all fine and dandy to play the youngins, but if they leave before they become upperclassman, what's the point?

I wish these kids luck, but I'm not going to shower them with praise for their cordial goodbyes. On to the next ones.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I feel for Lovie and Whitman. Thomas and Beckman killed football. It was a program in critical condition and they were the caretakers who just goofed off and let the program die.

it didn't seem so at the time, but looking back it does seem that the 4-5 years of Thomas / Beckman did more to hurt the football program, given how news is shared today, than the slush fund scandal did in the late 1960's.

We are in a pretty low spot right now and I have ZERO expectations of much change in the short term.

While I hope he is, I am not sure Lovie is the guy to see us through this for 5 more years.

Bryce Baringer (PWO Punter) is leaving. Hayes has that position locked down obviously.

https://twitter.com/bryce_bin18/sta...ter.com/bryce_bin18/status/935310999049170945

Hearing that Julian Jones, Tito Odenigbo and Patrick Nelson could be leaving as well. I truly hope none of these players are leaving.

I was expecting a lot of RS Juniors who aren't playing much (i.e. Hylton, James, Mcgrew, etc.) to be leaving, not starters.

Really? Odenigbo wants to leave? That’s hard to believe after reading this article.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/.../2017-11-18/odenigbo-the-trash-talk-real.html

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
This is not looking good. The wheels might be coming off now.

Wheels coming off? We won two games. Tre Watson is going to graduate early and wants to win somewhere with his final year of eligibility which obviously won’t be here.

I’m fully expecting more transfers from upperclassmen with eligibility left which is okay. Playing time next year will be dominated by the freshman and sophomores next year and we’ll probably take some more losses in the process but maybe two years from now with another productive freshman class, we can start to talk about being bowl eligible.

Yea wouldn't say the wheels are falling off.

Exit interviews w/ players are happening right now and I bet many of the grad-transfer eligible/buried upperclassmen are getting nudged out. The staff wants to get their own guys in there.

Also allows us to grow this 2018 recruiting class by a good number. Just need to fill w/ talent.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Yea wouldn't say the wheels are falling off.

Exit interviews w/ players are happening right now and I bet many of the grad-transfer eligible/buried upperclassmen are getting nudged out. The staff wants to get their own guys in there.

Also allows us to grow this 2018 recruiting class by a good number. Just need to fill w/ talent.

As those of you have said, I would certainly like to see some of these guys stay, like Tre and Nelson, but since most of the coaching staff has that professional background about them, and staring at a smaller amount of scholarships available for next year, you would expect them to figure out how to enlarge that scholly pool within NCAA rules, since of course they cannot go out and spend a ton for free agents. I would like to be that fly on the wall to hear how they were told that their services just might be a bit limited next year.