Transfers Thread

Quite the interesting list...

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
49m49 minutes ago
More
Illinois transfer Mark Smith is receiving interest from Kansas State, Missouri, Creighton, BC, Georgia Tech, Butler, Nevada, and Georgia, per a source.

foby

Bonnaroo Land

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
49m49 minutes ago
More
Illinois transfer Mark Smith is receiving interest from Kansas State, Missouri, Creighton, BC, Georgia Tech, Butler, Nevada, and Georgia, per a source.

Anyone but Mizzery

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
49m49 minutes ago
More

No Duke, Kentucky or MSU??

I really don't think he's ready for P5 school. He might really develop at a mid-major.

I really don't think he's ready for P5 school. He might really develop at a mid-major.

His list above is pretty reasonable with many P5/P6 schools. If Mark Smith had decided to stay, most would be betting on him getting a lot better the rest of his career, similar to other players rather than he is not P5 material.

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
I think Mark Smith is going to prove a lot of people wrong, and will be an All-Conference player at his next school.

I think Mark Smith is going to prove a lot of people wrong, and will be an All-Conference player at his next school.

If he can improve to that level elsewhere, at the schools listed. He could have accomplished the same here. Am not buying the "doesn't fit the system" argument as much as meeting adversity that comes at a higher level of competition.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
If he can improve to that level elsewhere, at the schools listed. He could have accomplished the same here. Am not buying the "doesn't fit the system" argument as much as meeting adversity that comes at a higher level of competition.

Is it "he doesn't fit the system" or the system doesn't fit him?

Deleted member 590820

D
It’s not that complicated. As R.P. McMurphy once said to Chief,”Its an old Indian game. Called put the ball in the hole.” Smith didn’t do much of that.

Well, that perspective has been pretty savagely dunked on with the offers he's getting.

Overrated in the hysteria of the spring last year? Maybe. A now-exposed mirage? That's perspective that needs some heavy lifting from other pre-fab narratives to even pass a straight face test.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
49m49 minutes ago
More
I thought you had to get kicked off a team in order to transfer to Creighton.

Deleted member 654622

D
Receiving Interest and Receiving an Offer are not the same. I am not saying that he has not received offers, just saying, interesting choice of wording

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Well, that perspective has been pretty savagely dunked on with the offers he's getting.

Overrated in the hysteria of the spring last year? Maybe. A now-exposed mirage? That's perspective that needs some heavy lifting from other pre-fab narratives to even pass a straight face test.

Offers and interest are two completely different things.

edit: I responded before I read Dude's post.

He could be a good fit for Bruce. If anyone can teach him Defense, BW could. Mark's Offense will come with maturity. He is a decent shooter.

Mark could be a super star his red shirt season and under the bus for the next three.

You may want to see where he actually ends up (and possibly even which position he occupies on the floor) before putting too much effort into this narrative.

Mark Smith and his family think he’s a high major lead guard, and in that respect his mirage has certainly been tarnished. His ability to defend and understand what constitutes a foul have definitely taken hits as well.

Let’s see who is willing to hand Mark Smith the keys.

Interest and committable offers are two different things. If he gets an offer from Creighton or K State, I hope he jumps on it.

You may want to see where he actually ends up (and possibly even which position he occupies on the floor) before putting too much effort into this narrative.

Mark Smith and his family think he’s a high major lead guard, and in that respect his mirage has certainly been tarnished. His ability to defend and understand what constitutes a foul have definitely taken hits as well.

Let’s see who is willing to hand Mark Smith the keys.

I actually do not see ANY program that is willing to give him the keys to the car.

Mark Smith has talent, seems to be a great young man, but lacks confidence now that he is a big fish in a large ocean and not the farm pond he once swam in.

He was over-rated, he has a lead guard had been exposed, his talent level handling the ball now is FAR different than where he was rated at one time. I will go on a limb and say he will NEVER be a lead guard for 3 years at any major school. Off guard at best, small forward wing even better, less ball handling overall.

No dig against him, but his game does not compute now or later to lead PG position. Thus no keys, keep taking the Uber! :chief:

illini80

Forgottonia
The thing is, after a year out to work on his game he could be significantly better. He needs to decide if he wants to dominate at a lower level or have to compete for playing time at a higher level. It certainly didn't seem like he (or maybe his dad) wanted the competition. There are no high level programs that are going to hand him the keys like BU mostly did.