Transfers Thread

not sure -- but can you limit graduate transfers?

I question this and I also question the validity of reports that schools restrict players. Can't remember exact situations, but Howland got put on blast for limiting a guy the past few years. This got quickly resolved and the player was allowed to go whereever, but not before Miss St's reputation was tarnished. I think Occamm's razor in this case would be that school dont actually restrict players, its just media/fan buildup. Of course, there are probably instances, and I know it's a much bigger thing in football than basketball (I've heard kids actually getting denied releases in FB, never in BB), but then again maybe im a cynic and these universities do do intensive limitations consistently.

My vote is kids aren't normally restricted, but it probably does happen occasionally.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I question this and I also question the validity of reports that schools restrict players. Can't remember exact situations, but Howland got put on blast for limiting a guy the past few years. This got quickly resolved and the player was allowed to go whereever, but not before Miss St's reputation was tarnished. I think Occamm's razor in this case would be that school dont actually restrict players, its just media/fan buildup. Of course, there are probably instances, and I know it's a much bigger thing in football than basketball (I've heard kids actually getting denied releases in FB, never in BB), but then again maybe im a cynic and these universities do do intensive limitations consistently.

My vote is kids aren't normally restricted, but it probably does happen occasionally.
I think the national media is starting the push back on coaches restrictions on players. Bo Ryan got crushed on the blocks he put on Uthoff.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
What about Bielfeldt? He went to Indiana from Michigan as a grad transfer, didn't he?

I think it's been done before.

I have no problem with Finke to PSU. I think he'd be better off at Vandy or Stanford, though.

One thing notable about PSU is the toughness and athleticism that they play with. Is Michael Finke really a fit for that team?

jmilt7

Waukegan
Okay, it sounds as if you can block a transfer unless the press finds out about it?

You can still block graduate transfers but coaches and programs are catching a lot of heat for doing so. Beilein tried to block Spike Albrecht from transferring to other B1G programs (although he had already recruited over him) but he was forced to remove such restrictions after receiving much criticism. Albrecht eventually transferred to Purdue.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/.../michigan-basketball-transfer-rules/82508986/

This + Biefeldt + Cam Johnson from Pitt are all recent examples that went awry for the school trying to block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 631370

D
What about Bielfeldt? He went to Indiana from Michigan as a grad transfer, didn't he?

I think it's been done before.

I have no problem with Finke to PSU. I think he'd be better off at Vandy or Stanford, though.

And the Dakich kid.

Not only did he transfer within the conference, but he went from Michigan to Ohio State.

This + Biefeldt + Cam Johnson from Pitt are all recent examples that went awry for the school trying to block

Twitter pretty much took away a coaches ability to block schools. I'm not even exaggerating.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Twitter pretty much took away a coaches ability to block schools. I'm not even exaggerating.

Which is fine with me. Coaches can jump for greener pastures with little to no consequence, but they want to dictate where a player can or cannot wind up?

The funny thing is that these coaches appear to have no compunction with the possibility of coaching against their former players if the coach is the one to move, but don't want to allow it if it is the player that leaves. Massive double standard, and I'm always happy to see a coach get roasted on the interwebs for it.

Which is fine with me. Coaches can jump for greener pastures with little to no consequence, but they want to dictate where a player can or cannot wind up?

The funny thing is that these coaches appear to have no compunction with the possibility of coaching against their former players if the coach is the one to move, but don't want to allow it if it is the player that leaves. Massive double standard, and I'm always happy to see a coach get roasted on the interwebs for it.
For me it's not the double standard of coaching-against vs. playing-against, it's more that the coaches will still get paid 6-7 digits annually to do it. Say what you will about the value of a college education for a player to stick around but that salary is cash in hand, not a hope for future cash.

jmilt7

Waukegan

Just to play devil's advocate because I agree with you but isn't blocking not just for the coach's sake? Not that a coach necessarily takes fans opinions into account but how many people here wished Mark Smith the best unless he transferred to Missouri? Or just plain did not want him to transfer to Missouri. Heck, we have a whole thread detailing our angst on his transfer to Missouri. Although my guess is that most of Illini fandom wish him well, or don't care where he ended up. Just kind of throwing it out there.

Just to play devil's advocate because I agree with you but isn't blocking not just for the coach's sake? Not that a coach necessarily takes fans opinions into account but how many people here wished Mark Smith the best unless he transferred to Missouri? Or just plain did not want him to transfer to Missouri. Heck, we have a whole thread detailing our angst on his transfer to Missouri. Although my guess is that most of Illini fandom wish him well, or don't care where he ended up. Just kind of throwing it out there.

A coach should block a school because the fans might turn on the player.. Really?

jmilt7

Waukegan
A coach should block a school because the fans might turn on the player.. Really?

Yeah, after I posted that I thought it sounded, well, to put best, ill advised. But like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. Best to ignore it.

Yeah, after I posted that I thought it sounded, well, to put best, ill advised. But like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. Best to ignore it.

I can certainly see why a school would want to block a conference opponent but I understand why coaches were getting criticism. I'm all for player freedom now but they need to have some rules so it doesn't become such a chaotic process. I'm just not sure what rules would work out in favor of players.

t7nich

Central IL
Don't care where he went, he's a good kid, tried hard, no attitude, just don't care. I actually root for Mizzou when they aren't playing us. I want that win in the Braggin' Rights game to be a big win.

:hurl:

haasi

New York
I think the only possible rationale for blocking a player is that he knows your system and could provide valuable intel to a regular opponent. But (a) probably not much info he can give that coaches can’t figure out from film and other publicly available stuff; (b) whatever other info he has probably has limited shelf life; and (c) the much greater interest is the interest of the player to live his life and go to school and play where he wants.

It would be interesting to see how players that transfered from one P5 school to another Comparable school have performed over the last several years. What percentage excel or at least improve?

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
He really would be wise to hitch his wagon to Bradley and Brian Wardle.
Although if Wojo loses that Marquette gig, Wardle might be gone...

Agree. Wardle is doing a good job rebuilding the Bradley program. They have one of the Brummitt brothers from Decatur MacArthur coming this fall and just picked up a 6-6 JUCO wing that looks pretty athletic.

Is Wojo on the hot seat at Marquette? I would assume that would be Wardle's next move up the ladder.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I think the only possible rationale for blocking a player is that he knows your system and could provide valuable intel to a regular opponent. But (a) probably not much info he can give that coaches can’t figure out from film and other publicly available stuff; (b) whatever other info he has probably has limited shelf life; and (c) the much greater interest is the interest of the player to live his life and go to school and play where he wants.

Even if the transferring player takes "intel" to the opposing team, it will be, as you say, will be two years old. HOWEVER, the coach who once had him on his team will know more about him--even with growth on the part of the transferring player--and how to neutralize him on the court. The transferee's value on the court isn't as great as it might be, even if he knows more about his teammates.

It's probably a wash.

haasi

New York
Even if the transferring player takes "intel" to the opposing team, it will be, as you say, will be two years old. HOWEVER, the coach who once had him on his team will know more about him--even with growth on the part of the transferring player--and how to neutralize him on the court. The transferee's value on the court isn't as great as it might be, even if he knows more about his teammates.

It's probably a wash.

IMO coach’s detailed knowledge of one player is much less significant than one player’s detailed knowledge of coach, personnel, system etc. but that’s not the ultimate point since we don’t disagree - all your point would do is strengthen the argument for players transferring freely- which I agree with.