Transfers Thread

That's disappointing as I believe he was projected to start next year. It definitely hurts our depth at CB.
I agree it hurts our depth. I wonder if it is a precursor to a Safety transferring in? Didn't someone mention a Penn State safety that just entered the portal?

Naperville
I agree it hurts our depth. I wonder if it is a precursor to a Safety transferring in? Didn't someone mention a Penn State safety that just entered the portal?
Zero idea. Might actually have more to do with Beason joining the team this fall?

I'm guessing Beason takes over and starts alongside Hobbs (if eligible/healthy). Martin would be the primary back up to one of them. We now need one of Hardge, Wyatt and Walker to step up and take over the other back up spot at CB.

I've heard Watkins is headed to Vandy to play with Vaughn. They went to the same high school together.

I don't want to overreact, but just as a general observation, if good players only want to be on your football team if a starting spot is completely clear for them, you're not going anywhere, ever. From both a depth perspective and a culture perspective. The two go hand-in-hand in many ways.

Fully enfranchised seniors who are invested and proud to guide younger players and compete with them for snaps are the lifeblood of any program.

Naperville
I don't want to overreact, but just as a general observation, if good players only want to be on your football team if a starting spot is completely clear for them, you're not going anywhere, ever. From both a depth perspective and a culture perspective. The two go hand-in-hand in many ways.

Fully enfranchised seniors who are invested and proud to guide younger players and compete with them for snaps are the lifeblood of any program.
You're kind of going overboard here, I think. Transfers literally happen everywhere for a number of reasons. There's 8 PSU players in the transfer portal right now.

I'm honestly surprised he stuck around given his ties to Vaughn.

Glenview, IL

You're kind of going overboard here, I think. Transfers literally happen everywhere for a number of reasons. There's 8 PSU players in the transfer portal right now.

I can see both sides. As I posted in another thread recently, one example of the prevalent transfer trend is Vandy losing plenty of OL depth from a middling bowl team. On the other hand, we need to develop veteran depth if we are to take significant steps forward. Youth gets exposed pretty consistently at the college level.

Sad to see Cam go. He played his heart out and was an experienced hard hitting cornerback. At least this opens up a spot at in the secondary as he was most likely going to start at nickel back or at least be second strong cornerback. Interesting to see if Marquez can beat out Nate or Jartavius for one of the starting corner spots.

I agree with basically all of this with regards to normal transfers, but the grad transfer phenomenon has really changed everything. Any player that gets redshirted or graduates early get a free agent season to finish off their career. Personally I like it.

He will be missed for depth, but I do not think he was going to start. Despite the issues the secondary had last year, him included, we have a lot of young talent there and that was the issue last year. We started three true frosh at times and a lot of their issues were blown coverage's. That should get fixed in Spring Ball. Funny how the roof is caving in now. The defense now loses two players and still gains a bunch, most of which are rated pretty good to damn good. Defense will improve, a lot.

He will be missed for depth, but I do not think he was going to start. Despite the issues the secondary had last year, him included, we have a lot of young talent there and that was the issue last year. We started three true frosh at times and a lot of their issues were blown coverage's. That should get fixed in Spring Ball. Funny how the roof is caving in now. The defense now loses two players and still gains a bunch, most of which are rated pretty good to damn good. Defense will improve, a lot.
I really liked watching Cam use the hit stick, but to be completely honest, there is a reason all these younger guys were playing over him. Depth is nice. But we are not losing a starter

You bring up a good point, but clearly it is not the only perspective. Cameron Watkins isn't one of Lovie's guys, which means that he has had relationships with many people that are part of the old culture and have been in his ear about things. Vaughn was one of the P5 players that transferred and played to his level so I am sure he is still seeing grass in greener. We will see less of this as (if?) Lovie's culture advances.

From a talent perspective, a senior should think they could beat out a true freshman. I am less concerned about this type of transfer. But he will certainly be missed.

Generally those players that are fully invested as seniors and ready to guide younger players were the ones recruited by the current staff and have bought in to bigger picture. Not as easy when you want to play and the guy coaching wasn't the one who brought you in.

You overreacted. We just picked up a would be senior grad transfer from Alabama. Kelly Bryant transferred from Clemson after leading them to the playoffs a year prior. Fields, Wimbush, Martell and Hurts are examples of what college football has become. The idea that juniors and seniors are the only ones providing leadership at the top notch programs is outdated. The 5 players I mentioned above transferred out of the best football programs in America with the best coaches and winningest cultures in the country. Bottom line, these kids go to school to play football. If there is a chance they may not play in their junior/senior year and they can go elsewhere, they will.

You overreacted. We just picked up a would be senior grad transfer from Alabama. Kelly Bryant transferred from Clemson after leading them to the playoffs a year prior. Fields, Wimbush, Martell and Hurts are examples of what college football has become. The idea that juniors and seniors are the only ones providing leadership at the top notch programs is outdated. The 5 players I mentioned above transferred out of the best football programs in America with the best coaches and winningest cultures in the country. Bottom line, these kids go to school to play football. If there is a chance they may not play in their junior/senior year and they can go elsewhere, they will.
Well said

He won't have that problem at UCF.
Yes, Wimbush's inconsistencies seemed to come against top level secondaries; still probably wouldve gone 10-2 this season if he started every game. Mind you, he looked sharp against MU in week 1. Combining his experience against top level defences and pure athleticism with a comparatively weaker schedule should equate success.

Im sure choosing UCF will be great for Brandons future draft stock.

Quarterbacks are a totally different thing, and have been for awhile now.

QB's were a transfer carousel 10 years ago. It's the nature of the position, only one can play and starters stay starters.

Which isn't to say transfers aren't becoming more commonplace elsewhere, but any comparison to the QB position is apples and oranges.

The bolded is correct at any position though, and if Watkins came to understand through the grapevine that his battle with the younger Lovie guys, especially a true freshman in Beason, wasn't going to be a fair fight, then we're making a big mistake.

If you're going anywhere, snaps are earned.

Quarterbacks are a totally different thing, and have been for awhile now.

QB's were a transfer carousel 10 years ago. It's the nature of the position, only one can play and starters stay starters.

Which isn't to say transfers aren't becoming more commonplace elsewhere, but any comparison to the QB position is apples and oranges.

The bolded is correct at any position though, and if Watkins came to understand through the grapevine that his battle with the younger Lovie guys, especially a true freshman in Beason, wasn't going to be a fair fight, then we're making a big mistake.

If you're going anywhere, snaps are earned.
My example holds true even at QB. Hurts, Bryant and Wimbush were all underclassmen starters that lost their starting jobs to freshman in seasons in which they were leading their teams to victories. Your original point was that successful programs don’t have seniors/leaders transfer out. They stay and lead and fight for the culture. That just isn’t as true anymore. Hurts maybe the best example of a kid trying to be that leader and sticking around, but when it was known he graduated in December the writing was on the wall he was out of Tuscaloosa for what will certainly be a guaranteed starting role.

To agree with you and contradict my own argument (a little), a program like UofI can not afford to have the guys Lovie and staff brought in over the past two years transfer as juniors/seniors because we have yet to prove the consistent ability to recruit over current talent. In my experience and opinion, leadership can be developed, but superior talent and athleticism is harder to create. It must be recruited as it is mostly God given.