Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have been pretty spot on in a lot of your info so I will take your word for it.

I played D1 and actually went to high school with a guy that wrestled at UofI in late 90’s/early 2000’s. You almost have to try to not remain academically eligible as a D1 athlete. I am not saying it is “easy” academically. There are, however, infinite resources for athletes to succeed academically.

I wish him luck at his next stop.
This is spot on in regards to academic help at major universities for D1 athletes. They go out of their way to ensure players stay eligible and there are implications for the academic aid department if they don't have enough players succeed. If he had any academic problems, it would fall completely on his shoulders.

Glenview, IL
Is there a movie on this flight?
Elmhurst
Boyd: damn shame. Some kids are just not cut out and/or not ready for college. Wish him well. Certainly don't blame the academic support staff. They can only do so much (insert UNC/KU joke here).

Fully expecting one of Brown and Pearl to be flipped to OL (if not both). Expecting one of our remaining rides to go to a HS OL. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a stop gap transfer too. Will be interesting to see if any of our redshirts (Slaughter?) emerge as a viable backups.

They got Tathan last night so they were/are more than giddy.

We need our own Tate here and we can run the ball 90% of the time. Our personnel, OC, OL and the downfield blocking ability of our WRs would make this offense very hard to stop.
I actually hope that if we are running the ball 90% of the time that every receiver that we have, transfers out.

While I would prefer that we add a prep OL or two (perhaps William Rogers and/or Cedric Claiborne?), I wonder if we would have any interest in either Drew Richmond (Tennessee) or Alex Gellerstedt (Penn State), both of whom are in the transfer portal. 247 shows that we offered both players coming out of high school.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Drew-Richmond-20085/RecruitInterests/
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Alex-Gellerstedt-81831/RecruitInterests/
If we land one of these two, flip one of Verdis or Julian, and pick up a freshman I think that we will survive next year depth wise.

I just wish for once we could get this thing rolling. Every time it feels like their is some momentum and we start the process of digging out we get hit with something to stall us. Yes, this happens in big boy football or whatever and is probably not unique to us, but man does it feel like it. I'd love to get to a place where we aren't always scrambling or settling every time common NCAA issues (academics, injury, legal trouble, transfers) hit our team.

If we land one of these two, flip one of Verdis or Julian, and pick up a freshman I think that we will survive next year depth wise.
I don't think Verdis will be moved. The DL rotation needs him and there were too many injuries last year to do this. Pearl...maybe. Need 2 lineman to step up during spring ball and show the staff they are reliable. Also, need at least 1 transfer OL.

I don't think Verdis will be moved. The DL rotation needs him and there were too many injuries last year to do this. Pearl...maybe. Need 2 lineman to step up during spring ball and show the staff they are reliable. Also, need at least 1 transfer OL.
Agree on Verdis. You move him then we're in trouble at DT in 2020 since we lose Milan, Jackson, and Oliver after this season. We have depth at DE so moving Pearl seems more likely

The defense will determine how this team does next year more the Verdis being a back up OL. He will not be moved. Pearl on the other hand, probably will be moved unless he looks like a starting DE.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Every single team has multiple transfers every offseason. The Illini’s have been pretty modest so far this year. Calm down.
Boyd was not modest. We need OL depth and he is a giant human that looked decent for a true freshman 2 seasons ago. He would have been a HUGE help in the seasons to come.

The only reason I’m not worried about this one is that it doesn’t seem to be a “I don’t buy in” or “I’m worried some of my PT will be taken by underclassmen” transfer.

This was just a normal attrition transfer where a dude (apparently) couldn’t get things together on an academic level.

Let’s hope we don’t have a lot of those, but at least it’s not a sign that Lovie’s program is crumbling from the inside.

Boyd was not modest. We need OL depth and he is a giant human that looked decent for a true freshman 2 seasons ago. He would have been a HUGE help in the seasons to come.

The only reason I’m not worried about this one is that it doesn’t seem to be a “I don’t buy in” or “I’m worried some of my PT will be taken by underclassmen” transfer.

This was just a normal attrition transfer where a dude (apparently) couldn’t get things together on an academic level.

Let’s hope we don’t have a lot of those, but at least it’s not a sign that Lovie’s program is crumbling from the inside.
Think he is talking about number of kids transferring this year.

I think Verdis is still a possibility. But I heard he and Lovie both want him to play DT. If that is the case, keep the kid happy, so we don't get another transfer!
He would be great on O though

Naperville
I think Verdis is still a possibility. But I heard he and Lovie both want him to play DT. If that is the case, keep the kid happy, so we don't get another transfer!
He would be great on O though
I remember Verdis said he wanted to be a 3 Technique DT just before he announced his commitment to Illinois.

I'm guessing this was/is a recruiting promise that was made to Verdis so Illinois should keep him on the Defensive side of the ball unless Verdis has changed his mind since then.

Honestly it's much harder to recruit quality HS DTs than OL so I would hope they keep Verdis there as opposed to moving him.

Pearl is the one who should be moved especially since we added Okpala and Randolph. Really no reason to leave Pearl buried there when we have added quality depth like this at SDE.

Making a mental note, another transfer taking a step down
If I had to guess, I'd say this one isn't for lack of talent. Big difference in guys stepping down a level due to talent, versus stepping down because no other D1 school dares to, or even can, touch you. Also possible he didnt want to sit a year, who knows.

Naperville
Could just be a player who wants to play in 2019 instead of sitting out at another D1.
I think you're right. There may be other issues preventing him from making a direct transfer to another D1 program. I heard that Louisville was interested.

His combination of size/athleticism is very hard to find so he'll get another shot at an FBS program if he takes care of business off the field.

I've also heard that Cam Thomas could be joining him at Iowa Western but haven't seen anything to confirm that.

Last edited:
Could just be a player who wants to play in 2019 instead of sitting out at another D1.
It's become a pretty sweet deal if your grades are in order. If you don't like your situation after spring ball, or even as fall practice is getting started, you can drop down a level, beat up on a lower level of competition for a handful of games and then be at your next D1 destination by like December.

Status
Not open for further replies.