Transfers Thread

I remember Verdis said he wanted to be a 3 Technique DT just before he announced his commitment to Illinois.

I'm guessing this was/is a recruiting promise that was made to Verdis so Illinois should keep him on the Defensive side of the ball unless Verdis has changed his mind since then.

Honestly it's much harder to recruit quality HS DTs than OL so I would hope they keep Verdis there as opposed to moving him.

Pearl is the one who should be moved especially since we added Okpala and Randolph. Really no reason to leave Pearl buried there when we have added quality depth like this at SDE.
Playing DT is what got Verdis to the ILLINI. If I remember correctly FSU wanted him on the OL.

Naperville
Some transfers suck. Boyd definitely falls into that category. Very much doubt there was anything more the program could do. Won't be surprised if he surfaces at a JUCO.
I was listening to the Jeremy Werner Show this morning and they said he was looking at FCS schools or a JUCO so that he could play this Fall.

This is the problem facing guys like B. Williams, Dorsey and Boyd. They are talented enough to play at other P5 programs but that would mean essentially having to sit out two years as they either didn't play last year or barely played at all.

They also said there's a possibility that Larry could be back. Lovie has been in Texas all week and has't had a chance to talk to Larry about this. They said that the problems would still remain however as there are some things he has to take care of. He's just in the transfer portal right now so that's not a guarantee he's leaving. However, if a year long suspension wasn't enough motivation for him to take care of business then I don't know if he can really be counted on at this point so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Naperville
A really interesting Q&A with Dorsey who is now at Iowa Western:

https://247sports.com/college/illin...Western-and-his-future-128649398/#128649398_1

There's a lot to unpack here.

The first time I've seen a former player say something nice about McGee.

He also appears to verify that the suspensions at the beginning of the year were due to failed drug tests.

No one on the staff really wanted Dorsey around except for Rod Smith and Patterson.

Former Illinois player Eric Finney is a coach at Iowa Western.

Dorsey was also looking at Southern University this fall. This seems to verify what a lot of us thought about these guys wanting to go to a lower level this year since they would have to sit out at FBS schools anyway. That would mean essentially sitting out for two years. There is certainly P5 interest in someone with Dorsey's size/speed combination which is very hard to find.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...Western-and-his-future-128649398/#128649398_1

He also appears to verify that the suspensions at the beginning of the year were due to failed drug tests.

No one on the staff really wanted Dorsey around except for Rod Smith and Patterson.

Dorsey was also looking at Southern University this fall. This seems to verify what a lot of us thought about these guys wanting to go to a lower level this year since they would have to sit out at FBS schools anyway. That would mean essentially sitting out for two years. There is certainly P5 interest in someone with Dorsey's size/speed combination which is very hard to find.
"Just imagine, if I would have played my sophomore year. We would’ve had a great season."

Sucks he couldn't have kept clean, cause apparently he was the missing link.

Yeah, it was his fault Crouch couldn't get him the ball more. (y)
I'll second southside. He completely fell off the map this year, and the QB cannot be fully blamed for that. He dropped the ball (pun intended?) on what could have been a great college career followed by the NFL. It's unfortunate, but he is old enough to know that actions have consequences.

So the newer coaches from last spring liked him, but the older coaches who knew him longer didn’t?
Maybe he ends up at Missouri with McGee next year? Hopefully not, too close to our orbit and fans might antagonize him. Better off out of the area where people can wish him well and hopefully gets changed for the better whether that leads to the nfl or not

Well, Dorsey didn't play this season. But he definitely fell off the map, I wholeheartedly agree.
From this article:

"With little practice time in Rod Smith's scheme due to suspensions, Dorsey hadn't earned the trust of the staff and didn't play against Rutgers despite full health. He played during Saturday's loss at Purdue but dropped two catchable balls." I'll admit, I forgot he announced his transfer in the middle of the season, but it does look like he had 3 games before that where he was back from suspension and healthy. Trust me, I am disappointed in a program like this losing a player of his skill level, but I support Lovie's desire to turn around the culture, especially after Zook (too many off-field arrests) and Beckman (I don't think I need to add anything here).

Is there a movie on this flight?
Elmhurst
From this article:

"With little practice time in Rod Smith's scheme due to suspensions, Dorsey hadn't earned the trust of the staff and didn't play against Rutgers despite full health. He played during Saturday's loss at Purdue but dropped two catchable balls." I'll admit, I forgot he announced his transfer in the middle of the season, but it does look like he had 3 games before that where he was back from suspension and healthy. Trust me, I am disappointed in a program like this losing a player of his skill level, but I support Lovie's desire to turn around the culture, especially after Zook (too many off-field arrests) and Beckman (I don't think I need to add anything here).
Forgot he had a cameo, sorry. He was deep, deep, deep in the dog house. What a waste.

I don't want to assume anything but, I thought these quotes by Dorsey was interesting.

"If I go down south, I’m not going back to Florida though.”

“As soon as I got to the new school, I do what they doing. Yeah, staying on the right path, which is kind of hard. You’re not playing football, so it’s like, hard to not be doing that during the season.”