Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are being transparent, we already know that is what they want. They have the biggest fan base, which will generate the biggest revenue. The NCAA has become a business and they are making business decisions sadly.
You're probably right. In which case someone should teach them the fundamentals of economics. There will be a lot more engaged fans added by getting Illinois competitive than by having another routine good year by a longtime good team. Illini Nation will be gigantic if we can put a competitive product on the field year after year.

Springfield, Il
Alex Hornibrook has entered the transfer portal. Coan played well at the end of the season, but supposedly the 5-star recruit Mertz is the real deal.

Morris, IL
Alex Hornibrook has entered the transfer portal. Coan played well at the end of the season, but supposedly the 5-star recruit Mertz is the real deal.
Interesting. Hornibrook was Top 5 all time for Wisconsin QBs in a lot of categories, even with only 3 years of play. Coan spelled Hornibrook for the last 4 games of last year due to concussion suffered by Hornibrook. Would seem to be a stretch that a 5-star Freshman is going to be better in year 1 than your Top 5 all time QB (unlike our situation where a 5-star QB wouldn't be filling big shoes) .

Last edited:
Charlotte, NC
Especially with the Wisconsin situation. Never thought he was that good. Another in the long line of 'sconi QBs who are just ok but sit behind that big oline, throw 5yr out routes to some no name WRs, and then hand the ball off the other 20 plays of a drive. I can't imagine him getting the starting roll at any other P5 school.

We'll see if this pops up on freezing cold takes at then end of next year though.

Especially with the Wisconsin situation. Never thought he was that good. Another in the long line of 'sconi QBs who are just ok but sit behind that big oline, throw 5yr out routes to some no name WRs, and then hand the ball off the other 20 plays of a drive. I can't imagine him getting the starting roll at any other P5 school.

We'll see if this pops up on freezing cold takes at then end of next year though.
Just going to throw this tidbit out there.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/24/wisconsin-qb-alex-hornibrook-wins-manning-passing-academy-throwing-competition/

He has skill. It's one thing to be a great QB, it is another to go into an offense where you hand off the majority of the day and then be expected to make throws at the end of the game.

I think theres plenty of teams that will offer him a starting spot, whether or not he keeps it is a much better question. Heck, if he committed to Illinois today, he would have a pretty decent shot of starting a few games (not saying I want this or think its remotely possible).

P5 teams always need QBs. Hornibrook has played at borderline all B1G levels before, his inconsistency is what kills his value. He will find PT at a P5 school.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Hmm. He very well could have been a second string LB getting some good minutes this year. I wonder what happened...

Did Cooper jump him on the depth chart?

Hmm. He very well could have been a second string LB getting some good minutes this year. I wonder what happened...

Did Cooper jump him on the depth chart?
Cooper isn't enrolled yet, but I doubt Hollins would be ahead of him on the depth chart for too long.

Hollins is probably staring at third string after a couple freshman get on campus, and Nickerson was his lead recruiter.
He was a late addition and didn’t pan out. With the players that are taking snaps at lb, he is likely not to see any playing time.

Clue was the Ware move.
Urlacher was a safety then moved to LB....Adam archuleta was a safety/lb I think. Hopefully this works 1/20 as well. Btw, don’t even know if I have my facts right, or if lovie was the coach for these moves. But never stopped anyone on the internet before!

Urlacher was a safety then moved to LB....Adam archuleta was a safety/lb I think. Hopefully this works 1/20 as well. Btw, don’t even know if I have my facts right, or if lovie was the coach for these moves. But never stopped anyone on the internet before!
Archuleta stayed at safety for his career and Lovie was not the coach at the beginning of Brian's career, just FYI

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Archuleta stayed at safety for his career and Lovie was not the coach at the beginning of Brian's career, just FYI
Urlacher player a dual S/LB role in college some, and it was Dick Jauron who was coach of the Bears at the time who recognized his talent at LB and played him there. He initially started at OLB but then the Bears MLB got injured so he played there and that's when he really burst onto the scene.

Urlacher player a dual S/LB role in college some, and it was Dick Jauron who was coach of the Bears at the time who recognized his talent at LB and played him there. He initially started at OLB but then the Bears MLB got injured so he played there and that's when he really burst onto the scene.
No offense to Dick, as I enjoyed his time with the Bears, but everyone knew Lach was playing LB in the NFL. It didn't matter what team drafted him

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
No offense to Dick, as I enjoyed his time with the Bears, but everyone knew Lach was playing LB in the NFL. It didn't matter what team drafted him
Don't disagree there. The dude was 6'4 258lbs at the combine. Already prototypical NFL LB size, if not even a bit bigger than most.

With all due respect I question your memory of the Jauron years...
What I remember is Keith 'Tractor' Trailer rumbling down the sidelines after a recovered fumble, and teaming up with another even bigger DT, who's name escapes me, eating up blockers for a young BU to roam free. The A train at RB was fun....for like a season. Mike Brown's OT victory vs SF.
Wasn't DJ the coach when Hugh Douglas speared Jim Miller in the playoffs? Yes there was some fun with his teams

What I remember is Keith 'Tractor' Trailer rumbling down the sidelines after a recovered fumble, and teaming up with another even bigger DT, who's name escapes me, eating up blockers for a young BU to roam free. The A train at RB was fun....for like a season. Mike Brown's OT victory vs SF.
Wasn't DJ the coach when Hugh Douglas speared Jim Miller in the playoffs? Yes there was some fun with his teams
Big Ted Washington. Traylor was listed at 6'2", 340 lbs. Ted listed at 6'5", 365 lbs.

Here they are flanking Mike Brown

Big Ted Washington. Traylor was listed at 6'2", 340 lbs. Ted listed at 6'5", 365 lbs.

Here they are flanking Mike Brown

That is right, Ted Washington! Great Pic.....I think that is ol Rossie Colvin there also

Status
Not open for further replies.