Transfers Thread

illini80

Forgottonia
When does the PORTAL OF FOOTBALL GLORY get hot? Seems soooo quite.
It’s interesting. Grad transfers may want to find their spots before all hell breaks loose. If the transfer rules get changed in April as is being speculated, it will be a whole new world out there. Players may want to see what happens before deciding. I could see that working both ways. If guys ahead of them are transferring out to bigger programs, they could move up. Conversely a player who thinks he has a secure spot could see transfers coming in and pushing them down the depth chart. Could the transfers come in waves as players continue to move through the summer? I have no idea how any of this plays out. It could be a free for all or it could be subdued.

just an fyi...Werner show this week, he interviewed Whitman and asked question on transfer rules. Whitman is apparently on a review committee, but only the chairman is supposed to say much, so Whitman didn't comment much. But after the interview, Werner commented new rule with one time free transfer w/o sitting out a year could happen this year & Lovie was hanging on to remaining 6(?) scholarships to be prepared if that happens. I think he said rule change could be April( same @illini80 above)...but it may pop when this happens

Last edited:
just an fyi...Werner show this week, he interviewed Whitman and asked question on transfer rules. Whitman is apparently on a review committee, but only the chairman is supposed to say much, so Whitman didn't comment much. But after the interview, Werner commented new rule with one time free transfer w/o sitting out a year could happen this year & Lovie was hanging on to remaining 6(?) scholarships to be prepared if that happens. I think he said rule change could be April( same @illini80 above)...but it may pop when this happens

This would make sense because of one of the DTs mentioned from Oklahoma would have to sit out currently. If the rule goes through, those guys could play immediately, and it would make sense to target guys with multiple years of eligibility left.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Keep yer powder dry!

It’s interesting. Grad transfers may want to find their spots before all hell breaks loose. If the transfer rules get changed in April as is being speculated, it will be a whole new world out there. Players may want to see what happens before deciding. I could see that working both ways. If guys ahead of them are transferring out to bigger programs, they could move up. Conversely a player who thinks he has a secure spot could see transfers coming in and pushing them down the depth chart. Could the transfers come in waves as players continue to move through the summer? I have no idea how any of this plays out. It could be a free for all or it could be subdued.

I could see it being crazy for QB and maybe RB? I kindda think the other positions will have a little lag time. But I agree there really is no telling.

Another thing is a lot of players transfer in the spring for a couple of reasons.
1. They want to finish their degree at the school they are at.
2. Some want to see if they can graduate so they can be a graduate player
3. They want to see where they fall on the depth chart in the spring
4. Some of them want to visit schools in the summer so they don't have to worry about classes

I would expect a lot of transfers to start committing in may or june

CAIllini

West Coast
Interesting take from Robert on how it will affect Illinois:

https://illiniboard.com/story/2020/2/27/transfer-changes/

I like the change even with the inevitable issues it will introduce; the waters will be muddied and as a fan it will make it harder to follow your teams if there is a revolving door of players. But it's still more fair than what's in place now.

One thing I'd like to see included is a rule that schools can only allow X% of incoming "free transfers" per season. Say 15% (would be 2 players for hoops). Maybe double it when the coach changes to 30%, but don't allow schools to swap out 70% of their roster in one go. Maybe also put the cap on Y player per 4 year period as well (appropriate for each sport) to cap single year abusers of the system as well as perpetual abusers.

So athletes get more power, but schools working the system are checked.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO

I like the change even with the inevitable issues it will introduced; the waters will be muddied and as a fan it will make it harder to follow your teams if there is a revolving door of players. But it's still more fair than what's in place now.

One thing I'd like to see included is a rule that schools can only allow X% of incoming "free transfers" per season. Say 15% (would be 2 players for hoops). Maybe double it when the coach changes to 30%, but don't allow schools to swap out 70% of their roster in one go. Maybe also put the cap on Y player per 4 year period as well (appropriate for each sport) to cap single year abusers of the system as well as perpetual abusers.

Thoughts?
Given how many transfers impacted so many teams in the Big Ten and in the NCAA overall last year, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference as far as following your team goes. It's already a revolving door. To be clear, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing...I'm all for whatever is best for the players. I would just like to get rid of the arbitrariness of the process that certainly feels like it works better for some programs than others.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Given how many transfers impacted so many teams in the Big Ten and in the NCAA overall last year, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference as far as following your team goes. It's already a revolving door. To be clear, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing...I'm all for whatever is best for the players. I would just like to get rid of the arbitrariness of the process that certainly feels like it works better for some programs than others.

Not to mention, eliminating the hypocrisy that some sports require a one year sit out, while most don't.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong. Is Werner saying that anyone who transfers before the rule changes is not treated the same as someone who transfers after it changes? I would think the rule would apply to anyone who transfers in 2020. Then again, it is the NCAA.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong. Is Werner saying that anyone who transfers before the rule changes is not treated the same as someone who transfers after it changes? I would think the rule would apply to anyone who transfers in 2020. Then again, it is the NCAA.
I don't think so, but Werner didn't really say much other than hint that Lovie was choosing to hang onto some scholarships in case the rule took effect, and as I recall it may have been geared more to additional freshman...I may have to go back and listen to the podcast to see what he did say now...but the way I have broken this down since is if the rule happens, the transfer market likely blows open considerably. Maybe a senior or junior that really doesn't want to sit out a year all of a sudden reconsiders (Jeff Thomas could be a prime example), maybe the kid who is on the 2 deep behind an all-american sees an opportunity to start and increase his playing time to look better for the NFL.

Personally, I think if it is a Luke Ford level talent you take him and sort out the sit out year later, if it is a grad transfer on the level we were able to grab last year you pull the trigger now, especially if you find multiple years like we did with most of last year's Grad transfers, but somewhere in the equation of added depth or questionable impact down the road, you don't reach as far this year because it sounds like the game and available talent could change dramatically in April and Lovie wants to be prepared by having some scholarships available.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don't think so, but Werner didn't really say much other than hint that Lovie was choosing to hang onto some scholarships in case the rule took effect, and as I recall it may have been geared more to additional freshman...I may have to go back and listen to the podcast to see what he did say now...but the way I have broken this down since is if the rule happens, the transfer market likely blows open considerably. Maybe a senior or junior that really doesn't want to sit out a year all of a sudden reconsiders (Jeff Thomas could be a prime example), maybe the kid who is on the 2 deep behind an all-american sees an opportunity to start and increase his playing time to look better for the NFL.

Personally, I think if it is a Luke Ford level talent you take him and sort out the sit out year later, if it is a grad transfer on the level we were able to grab last year you pull the trigger now, especially if you find multiple years like we did with most of last year's Grad transfers, but somewhere in the equation of added depth or questionable impact down the road, you don't reach as far this year because it sounds like the game and available talent could change dramatically in April and Lovie wants to be prepared by having some scholarships available.

This. Well done.

I like the change even with the inevitable issues it will introduce; the waters will be muddied and as a fan it will make it harder to follow your teams if there is a revolving door of players. But it's still more fair than what's in place now.

Thoughts?
So what happens if a team is full of young players and is doing really bad and half of the team decides to transfer and the school doesn't have enough players for a season?

So what happens if a team is full of young players and is doing really bad and half of the team decides to transfer and the school doesn't have enough players for a season?
Too many on here are trying to defend the NCAA's dictatorship. People are forgetting that there are a very limited supply of scholarships. If any double digit amount of athletes all over the country decide to transfer, there will not be enough scholarships for them. A school can only give out a finite number of scholarships. If half of the team entered the transfer portal, how many schools will have saved all of their scholarships just for transfers?

1. If they are that bad, good chance all those players can't all find homes.
2. If it is a coaching disaster on the order of PED state let them leave & forfeit
3. Even in the PED state case, where they had a free transfer option & a very bad situation they didn't lose enough players to get to that sort of situation. (granted I think this is a different situation where it was a moral dilemma for an institution devoid of morals) But if they could still field a team, I suspect it takes more than a few losses to get half the team to leave

CAIllini

West Coast

I I thought about that too after posting. If you set some sort of limit on how many "free transfers" a team could accept each year and/or 4-year period, you'd also need to change that threshold based on how many transfers that team lost that cycle....how to differentiate between true lost transfers vs. creaned transfers I'm not sure....

Gets pretty murky quickly.

1. If they are that bad, good chance all those players can't all find homes.
2. If it is a coaching disaster on the order of PED state let them leave & forfeit
3. Even in the PED state case, where they had a free transfer option & a very bad situation they didn't lose enough players to get to that sort of situation. (granted I think this is a different situation where it was a moral dilemma for an institution devoid of morals) But if they could still field a team, I suspect it takes more than a few losses to get half the team to leave

technically, if a coach left, players were released, and it didn’t impact things nearly as much as you would expect

Too many on here are trying to defend the NCAA's dictatorship. People are forgetting that there are a very limited supply of scholarships. If any double digit amount of athletes all over the country decide to transfer, there will not be enough scholarships for them. A school can only give out a finite number of scholarships. If half of the team entered the transfer portal, how many schools will have saved all of their scholarships just for transfers?
How am I defending the NCAA? Do the kids know how many scholarships are available at a given school and do they care if they still think there good enough?

How am I defending the NCAA? Do the kids know how many scholarships are available at a given school and do they care if they still think there good enough?
The athletes generally have very little idea and only find out when schools tell them that they don't have a scholarship available for them. The NCAA has used the type of thinking that was stated in your post, to defend their propaganda for many decades.

The new transfer rule could not only cause chaos, but would nearly make Spring Practice worthless. Surely there would be a deadline on when these players could make there decisions to transfer.