Transfers Thread

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
How?? You still have probably 70+ guys getting reps even if 15 guys transfer out.
There seems to be this idea that entire teams are going to transfer mid-game or something. Doesn't seem like all that much will change.

The one downside I see is that it could open up more cherry picking of specific talents to certain schools, especially those able to offer more TV exposure or other benefits.

The positive here is it would give the players more freedom to go where they want to go. It would be in line with what other NCAA athletes can do and it might help eliminate some of the total nonsense that happens now with transfer waivers.

Players should get the same rights as coaches, plain and simple in my opinion. Any coach leaving should allow for immediate transfer and they should get 1 free transfer. Anything less is treating the players like servants. Let's be real, playing college football is just a job, and in the US, jobs are at-will.

Players should get the same rights as coaches, plain and simple in my opinion. Any coach leaving should allow for immediate transfer and they should get 1 free transfer. Anything less is treating the players like servants. Let's be real, playing college football is just a job, and in the US, jobs are at-will.
Treating like servants....hyperbole...free education, room, and board, and whatever else they get..the value of which is probably more than the average Illinois citizen makes. Making them wait to be eligible to play, guarantees an additional year of free ride. These people don't want to be in college...they want to be professional athletes...we need to give those that don't care about education alternative avenues or stop the charade and make class optional. They could take the education or given money worth the value of education. A bit of hyperbole from me...but my point stands..to mešŸ˜

Plenty of professional occupations in competitive industries have noncompete clauses.

So coachs can be fired in a moments notice as well should we fire student athletes and kick them out of school for not performing...

Deleted member 654622

D
If we stay mature, that would break a long tradition. Here's a fun read on some of the history of transfers:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/9/24/20844018/college-football-transfer-rules-history
I meant more in society terms but I did not word that correctly. And honestly there is an even worse tradition. I just hear so many good points on both sides of the discussion that it should be looked at in terms of realism.
How much is a college education worth?
How much is room an board worth?
How much is a nutritionist providing your food worth?
How much is access to elite trainers and coaches worth?
How does that compare to the big wig compensations within universities and the NCAA?
Are universities investing all those cost in an individual player to reap possible rewards later on?
I do not know most of those answers, and I don't really have a set opinion either. Just listing some talking points I find interesting

Wow! Coaches get fired and still receive compensation from the school that fired them while, a lot of athletes' find that their scholarships don't get renewed with no compensation.
Coach's sometimes owe money as well.

They don't leave unless they are taking a job elsewhere in those circumstances. Did an athlete take your money or something?
No, I'm ok with "students" having a choice but when you start comparing coachs because they make more money with a student your argument diminishes that's all. My "opinion" is student athletes are students first athletes second but in most cases they will leave the school for an athletic reason and not what might be best for them..most wont make it to the NFL so that education is important.

No, I'm ok with "students" having a choice but when you start comparing coachs because they make more money with a student your argument diminishes that's all. My "opinion" is student athletes are students first athletes second but in most cases they will leave the school for an athletic reason and not what might be best for them..most wont make it to the NFL so that education is important.
That's great but, you are the one that made that comparison.

illini80

Forgottonia
The basketball transfer portal is growing quickly. It seems awfully quiet in football. I hope the recruiting restrictions donā€™t hurt Lovieā€™s chances to land some much needed pieces. Not being able to get guys on campus to show off the new facilities hurts.

I got a couple names to look out for
1. Rico Bussey-WR
2. Je'Vari Anderson- UCLA LB/SDE
3. Jovan Swann- Indiana lean right now
4. Brandon Council- Baylor lean right now
5. Michael Thompson- Mizzou lean
6. Jaylen Kelly-Powell- Migh S
7. Cj Pollard- USC saftey
8. Jaquez Jones- Tenn WR with 3 years left (he just received a 5th year from the NCAA). I think we get him if we want him.
9. Mannie Netherly- former LSU DB that the staff wants as a WR. Market on him has cooled. I think he's holding out for a baylor offer.
10. Chris Murray- former UCLA G. Don't love our chance but i know the staff had interest.

I got a couple names to look out for
1. Rico Bussey-WR
2. Je'Vari Anderson- UCLA LB/SDE
3. Jovan Swann- Indiana lean right now
4. Brandon Council- Baylor lean right now
5. Michael Thompson- Mizzou lean
6. Jaylen Kelly-Powell- Migh S
7. Cj Pollard- USC saftey
8. Jaquez Jones- Tenn WR with 3 years left (he just received a 5th year from the NCAA). I think we get him if we want him.
9. Mannie Netherly- former LSU DB that the staff wants as a WR. Market on him has cooled. I think he's holding out for a baylor offer.
10. Chris Murray- former UCLA G. Don't love our chance but i know the staff had interest.
Thanks for the run down Sneaky. Be safe everyone!

USC QB JT Daniels to transfer. 5 Star out of High School and we've got a little "USC Pipeline." Maybe we make a move on him?