Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Vaughn: 39.3% 3 pt; 48.4% FG, 6.6 rpg, ~2 apg. Good size, VG athlete. Looks like another small school guy whose game could translate to the big stage. We could do much worse.

If there was even a 1% chance we pursue Whitney it’s gotta be zero now with Alan leaving, right? There’s no way we take a guard/wing who can’t shoot.

If there was even a 1% chance we pursue Whitney it’s gotta be zero now with Alan leaving, right? There’s no way we take a guard/wing who can’t shoot.

He is working on his shot and Gentry has already been raved about improving others shots since arriving...I think there is a very strong chance we get Whitney added to our roster. For what he may not be (Griffin 40% shooting) he is something we don't have alot of (off the charts athleticism/rebounding capability). I think Whitney would be suited for BU and the staff to work with in order to get to the league.

He is working on his shot and Gentry has already been raved about Improving others shots since arriving...I think there is a very strong chance we get Whitney added to our roster. For what he may not be (Griffin 40% shooting) he is something we don't have alot of (off the charts athleticism/rebounding capability). I think Whitney would be suited for BU and the staff to work with in order to get to the league.

Not trying to discredit Gentry but have you looked at the 3 pt percentages?

Not trying to discredit Gentry but have you looked at the 3 pt percentages?

Yes, and they 309 at 5.6 a game last year vs 345 at 7.8 per game the year previous, 335 at 7.4 per game attempts before that. But having a good coach (gentry for a year) doesn't erase years of bad form, bad selection, we took less 3's last year due to better offense overall. Look at DMW towards the end of the year....there may be some truth the abilities?

The stats for the years is in same general ball park, different players shooting, better selection, more 2 vs 3's? So many variables to swing the % to be sure, either way I hope Gentry and ability is accurate for us.

Last edited:
Iowa was 5th in the nation in offensive production. They had zero great athletes, but the did have many good shooters and a monster in the middle. We have a monster in the middle, some decent athletes but we need shooters and better passing.

I would think there is a 0% chance we pass on an athlete of Whitney's caliber, given we have that opportunity. If his shooting doesn't improve, I think he would hold his own defensively at the 4 and use his quickness to get to the bucket on offense. (We've certainly had worse options at that position in recent years) Worst case scenario, he is a more athletic Kipper Nichols. If the shots start falling he could become one of the best players in the league. Sign me up.

Iowa was 5th in the nation in offensive production. They had zero great athletes, but the did have many good shooters and a monster in the middle. We have a monster in the middle, some decent athletes but we need shooters and better passing.
Curbelo and Hawkins both averaged over 6 assists/game.

our "monster in the middle" cant hit 3s from the top of the key though.

I have to say, your recollection is much different than mine. I recall lots of people being high on him, not just for the JUCO rating but also for the high school rating which was very high.

As always, there are a people who have a different opinion, but I think the people down on Feliz were few and far between.
I was high on Feliz both because he was the No. 1 JUCO PG and because of his extensive international experience.

He is working on his shot and Gentry has already been raved about improving others shots since arriving...I think there is a very strong chance we get Whitney added to our roster. For what he may not be (Griffin 40% shooting) he is something we don't have alot of (off the charts athleticism/rebounding capability). I think Whitney would be suited for BU and the staff to work with in order to get to the league.
Uhhhhhhh we were a terrible shooting team this year and our best shooter actually regressed. Whitney was unplayable last year and it was in part because of his defense.

Last edited:
Uhhhhhhh we were a terrible shooting team this year and our best shooter actually regressed. Whitney was unplayable last year and it was in part because of his defense.

Maybe so, but we still don't pass on him if A) we can find a slot, and B) he wants to take it.

"Unplayable" seems like a stretch. He averaged over 12 minutes a game. I don't think there was a game where he didn't see the floor. Being relegated to the bench on a top 10 team doesn't make you "unplayable". Nearly all freshmen struggle defensively to some degree. UK just had too many non-shooters on the floor. Most teams don't have enough elite athletes to bench a guy with Whitney's ceiling. Most programs would suffer through the growing pains, in hopes of him turning things around. UK is not most teams. They had legit National title aspirations, and will have no trouble replacing him with another NBA prospect.

"Unplayable" seems like a stretch. He averaged over 12 minutes a game. I don't think there was a game where he didn't see the floor. Being relegated to the bench on a top 10 team doesn't make you "unplayable". Nearly all freshmen struggle defensively to some degree. UK just had too many non-shooters on the floor. Most teams don't have enough elite athletes to bench a guy with Whitney's ceiling. Most programs would suffer through the growing pains, in hopes of him turning things around. UK is not most teams. They had legit National title aspirations, and will have no trouble replacing him with another NBA prospect.
He averaged over 12 minutes a game because Cal gave him the opportunity to play big minutes at the beginning of the season. Look up his game logs. He got at least 20 minutes per game the first 4 games of the year to inflate his numbers. In conference play he averaged under 7 minutes a game including playing a total of 4 minutes in his last two games before he quit on his team. He also scored a total of 3 points points throughout conference play in an incredibly weak SEC. Unplayable wasn’t a stretch.

Brandon Johnson looks to be somewhat similiar to Leron Blacks game in clips. I do like his comfort level with 15' zone jumper. That could come in very handy, also would allow Giorgi to move completely back to his more comfortable inside position most of the time as well.

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein 44m

Rider grad transfer Fred Scott tells me he has cut his list to the following programs:

Illinois
Illinois State
San Francisco
San Diego
Arkansas
Boston College

Immediately eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.