Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feliz a reach? I don't think our staff ever felt that way.

By reach I meant a JC player...Feliz was wanted by staff, but many "in the know", not really fans weren't sure about a JC player. If you have time go back and find all the naysayer posts that now are all in love with the kid (for good reasons).

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
It amazes me that many on here even after we have had some success' are still hung up on the superstar recruits or the big names. Some of the lesser names helped get us here...by the way it may have not panned out at Tennessee but this kid as a 3/4* out of high school? Either way I doubt we would go for him, but OA did once before, and yes he did also with Feliz IIRC?
get us here?? We don't really need to be touting where we are.

We've thus far taken just one small (yet much needed) baby step. I saw the recent Jay Bilas interview discussing the Illinois program and he emphasized how important it is to get elite players year-in/year-out. We need Ayo/Kofi level skills at a significant clip over the next 7-8 years in order to build the program back to where it was, and needs to be. 90% of our transfers over the past 6-7 years have added very little value. With the new transfer rules going into effect, our success rate needs to increase.

get us here?? We don't really need to be touting where we are.

Where we are is a nationally discussed program again, as high/prominent as we would like, maybe not, but still being talked about.

Bilas or any others would not have wasted one single TV/Radio second and katz certainly would not have "bought" into us and hyped us ALL year if not for Giorgi/Griffin/Feliz contributions to "help get us here".

Ayo and Kofi have certainly been added and produced as they were EXPECTED to do, but without the less heralded players, we are simply not standing where we currently do, so drink som kool aid and enjoy the fact that we can actually TOUT our basketball once again.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
By reach I meant a JC player...Feliz was wanted by staff, but many "in the know", not really fans weren't sure about a JC player. If you have time go back and find all the naysayer posts that now are all in love with the kid (for good reasons).

Meatballs gonna meatball. Who cares what they think?

Meatballs gonna meatball. Who cares what they think?

1585362530138.png

If Whitney hasn’t improved his shooting, is that the guy you want to take with limited spots on your roster? You already have players playing significant minutes that struggle offensively.
Whitney brings athleticism—pressure on defenses to defend the alley oop, can be a shot blocker on defense, and would probably be encouraged to run and get buckets in transition. That said, not sure how the staff prioritizes the limited spots. Does Whitney have to sit a year? Would it be an either/or with recruits like Etienne who maybe look more promising to develop an outside shot?

Even with AG transferring out and the likely going pro of Ayo (usually felt pretty good about it when he shot a three late in the season) we have an opportunity to improve 3 pt shooting overall with Miller, the transfers (Grand/Hutch or both), and someone else stepping up.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
If Whitney hasn’t improved his shooting, is that the guy you want to take with limited spots on your roster? You already have players playing significant minutes that struggle offensively.
He was terrible at UK and quit on his teammates midseason the first time he faced on court adversity.

“ESPN NBA Draft analyst Jonathan Givony — whose mock draft had Whitney at No. 17 overall at the beginning of this season — noted that he voiced concern in August about some major questions regarding the future UK player.

“Already then, there was some concern there that he’s a guy that is probably a ‘4’ man who needs shooting around him,” Givony told the Herald-Leader this week. “This Kentucky roster has a lot of things, but shooting isn’t really one of them.”

At the time of Whitney’s departure, UK was shooting just 31.6 percent from three-point range and averaging just 4.7 made threes per game.

“And then, Kahlil himself, he’s not a very skilled player,” Givony continued. “His basketball IQ is not very high. And so he really struggled. That’s the only way to put it. And I don’t think he made up for it with his defense. He was a step slow there, too. And he didn’t even rebound. I think it was a real struggle for him. He kept getting minutes, but he just didn’t produce.”

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article240658556.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
He was terrible at UK and quit on his teammates midseason the first time he faced on court adversity.

While I have no issue with the rest of your post, this is such a BS statement, even if technically correct. Given the current transfer rules, leaving when you know that is your plan can make some sense if it lets you become eligible at your destination school sooner.

While I have no issue with the rest of your post, this is such a BS statement, even if technically correct. Given the current transfer rules, leaving when you know that is your plan can make some sense if it lets you become eligible at your destination school sooner.
That wasn't the case with Whitney. He already had played second semester

He was the No. 1 rated JC PG. No one who had a brain thought this was a reach

Maybe a "reach" in certain terms was a reach as a word, however alot and I mean ALOT of no brains on here back in 2018 were raving about Ramey at the same time Feliz/Griffin were announced and visiting. Many really wanted Ramey, I was one, but agreed that the #1 juco PG would be a good pickup if Ramey couldn't be gotten.

Again, maybe not a reach in that term, but certainly not many were overly enamored other than the Juco ranking. In fact most of the conversation was around his lack of offers in one camp, and his PR international exp in the other.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Maybe a "reach" in certain terms was a reach as a word, however alot and I mean ALOT of no brains on here back in 2018 were raving about Ramey at the same time Feliz/Griffin were announced and visiting. Many really wanted Ramey, I was one, but agreed that the #1 juco PG would be a good pickup if Ramey couldn't be gotten.

Again, maybe not a reach in that term, but certainly not many were overly enamored other than the Juco ranking. In fact most of the conversation was around his lack of offers in one camp, and his PR international exp in the other.

Virtually anyone in their right mind would have preferred Ramey over Feliz. That didn't make Feliz any sort of a reach.

illini80

Forgottonia
For those who have asked, Tate said the transfer rule meeting has been delayed until June.

With that in mind, I don't think there is any chance it is not approved. Not that there was much chance anyway, but waiting that long and being denied eligibility would throw everyone's roster into chaos.

I have to say, your recollection is much different than mine. I recall lots of people being high on him, not just for the JUCO rating but also for the high school rating which was very high.

As always, there are a people who have a different opinion, but I think the people down on Feliz were few and far between.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
As always, there are a people who have a different opinion, but I think the people down on Feliz were few and far between.

Minor quibble with "few and far between." It was more than that. The malcontents and/or ignorant crowd. Like death and taxes, a fact of life.

Looks like we are kicking the tires on G/F Dimencio Vaughn out of Rider. 6’5 220. Lefty who looks strong. Shot well from deep and can rebound the ball. Griffin replacement?

Looks like a very good replacement
Grad transfer for one year at a position with DaMonte, Hutch, and Grandison? Would rather have a another big or pg in development for 4 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.