Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I was trying to find Jon Rothstein's article or whatever for his sources about why he thinks the NCAA will delay the "immediate eligibility" rule to the 2021-22 season and found these two articles in case anyone wants more information. Both are basically an elaboration of Rothstein's Sunday twitter assertion. Both say that Rothstein quotes anonymous sources.

Report: Immediate eligibility likely off the table for college football, basketball student-athlete next season

Report: No immediate eligibility change for transfers in 2020-21

FatRealAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif
That quote from Cool Hand Luke is one of my all time favs! Strother Martin is one of my all time favorite supporting actors.

Deleted member 747080

D
That poses a fun scenario, would you take Griffin back if he wanted back even knowing he'd be gone in 2021? I probably would.
If he was a Jr. and was coming back for his Sr. year then yes but coming back for his Jr. year just to leave for Syracuse for his Sr. year then heck no. It would be clear to us that he would be using us to avoid sitting out a year. If he doesn't want to be here and would rather be at Syracuse then let him walk.

Imo our standards should be higher than that.

Understandable, and I would agree, not sure A) our standards are not higher than that B) we are quite to the point of our ability to constantly recruit better than that and our expectations meeting at least in the middle somewhere-just yet.

I think with the transfer ruling now being slated to commence in 2021-2022 and not this upcoming year, this will change ANY transfer that we may take this year anyways. I would think BU would now ONLY take an immediate help...not sure he would want any others, although he did just that with Hutch and Grand last year.

Don’t need a 6’6” 175# forward IMO. Suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. Rather see a big 4 and/or a shooter.

BTW, understand the point, however we have been linked already with:

Immediate Availibility-May be others?

Vaughn 6-5" 220
Towns 6-7" 215
Scott 6-8" 230
Minlend 6-4" 208
Jones 6-1 180
Hardy 6-2 190
Antonio 6-5 170

Not available this year-probably others missed.

Carton 6-2 180

Point is it would seem as if the staff is looking at high standard guards, athletic wings, or stretch undersized 4's?

BTW, understand the point, however we have been linked already with:

Immediate Availibility-May be others?

Vaughn 6-5" 220
Towns 6-7" 215
Scott 6-8" 230
Minlend 6-4" 208
Jones 6-1 180
Hardy 6-2 190
Antonio 6-5 170

Not available this year-probably others missed.

Carton 6-2 180

Point is it would seem as if the staff is looking at high standard guards, athletic wings, or stretch undersized 4's?

Would seem they have one in Jacob, DaMonte and Austin. Why wouldn’t they want a right sized?

think with the transfer ruling now being slated to commence in 2021-2022 and not this upcoming year, this will change ANY transfer that we may take this year anyways. I would think BU would now ONLY take an immediate help...not sure he would want any others, although he did just that with Hutch and Grand last year.

Brad Underwood a couple weeks ago: “I love sit-out guys. It’s a year of knowing a system, learning terminology, getting in the weight room, getting stronger, and that's happened in both our guys’ cases where they've added close to 20 pounds. They deal with our nutrition. In my time as a coach, it's very, very seldom has there ever come anything bad from a guy sitting out. They get academically acclimated. Basketball, they get acclimated. There's very little failure or anything negative that happens to a guy that comes in and sits out and continues his career after that.”

Brad Underwood a couple weeks ago: “I love sit-out guys.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant only this upcoming year. I believe I saw where he also stated IF the right grad transfer came along? I meant this to mean he was stating this year with the last possible opening would only go to the right fit. Again, eligible immediate this year. Future years yes he would take a sit out or two?

Deleted member 747080

D
what can I say, I'm a sucker for winning basketball games.
But if he came back next year knowing he is going to leave the following year for Syracuse, what would his "buy in" be? How hard would he work to get Illinois to that next level? He would be playing more for himself rather than team and we would be worse off having him.

Understandable, and I would agree, not sure A) our standards are not higher than that B) we are quite to the point of our ability to constantly recruit better than that and our expectations meeting at least in the middle somewhere-just yet.

I think with the transfer ruling now being slated to commence in 2021-2022 and not this upcoming year, this will change ANY transfer that we may take this year anyways. I would think BU would now ONLY take an immediate help...not sure he would want any others, although he did just that with Hutch and Grand last year.

BU just had a press conference where he said he loves taking sit out guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.