Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
I saw Okoro play on tv probably a dozen times over last two years. He started a lot of games but was never a difference maker imo. Averaged 3 pts and 4 rbs last year. He is a big dude if the staff could coach him up.

Staff still have intrest in Okoro?
I'm not too big on these top 100 guys who don't show well at school #1. For example, I don't really have an interest in Whitney. So my interest is pretty minimal with Okoro, but there's a part of me that thinks Antigua turns him into a beast. :)

Btw, I'm all in with whatever the staff does. Just my personal preference on these types of transfers.

I'm not too big on these top 100 guys who don't show well at school #1. For example, I don't really have an interest in Whitney. So my interest is pretty minimal with Okoro, but there's a part of me that thinks Antigua turns him into a beast. :)

Btw, I'm all in with whatever the staff does. Just my personal preference on these types of transfers.
My big concern next year are two things without Kofi. Rebounding and a stretch 4 that can board. I think in 2 years, Hawkins can be size but not next year. I think Giorgi can be good again, but who is going to board? Okoro would allow for Damonte or Grandison to play some 4.

My big concern next year are two things without Kofi. Rebounding and a stretch 4 that can board. I think in 2 years, Hawkins can be size but not next year. I think Giorgi can be good again, but who is going to board? Okoro would allow for Damonte or Grandison to play some 4.
Hawkins is much more ready than u think. immediate impact. high 4 star/5 star talent. just got overshadowed

If Kofi were to stay in the draft which I think personally would be a mistake. And Okoro was to transfer here and take his scholarship then Giorgi would be your post offensively where he excels and Okoro would defend the post defensively where he excels. It would be an excellent fit in that respect.

If Kofi were to stay in the draft which I think personally would be a mistake. And Okoro was to transfer here and take his scholarship then Giorgi would be your post offensively where he excels and Okoro would defend the post defensively where he excels. It would be an excellent fit in that respect.
For some reason, this made me think of a tag match, where these two guys stand on the sidelines with their hand out and tag in and out as the ball moves up and down the court. Never have to run more than half court, never have to play their weaker end of the court. I must have too much time on my hands these days :rolleyes:

Hawkins is much more ready than u think. immediate impact. high 4 star/5 star talent. just got overshadowed

Sure like everything I have seen on video and coaches comments. Seems like a perfect, fit but how can he be ranked 156?
Really don’t care as I trust the coaches but reinforces my opinion of the rating system.

Yep, I agree with you. Hawkins is going to be a contributor next year. 6.5 assists/game by a guy that's 6'10", plus good 3 point shooting %! Yes please. He's long and a good athlete who has great handles for a big, since he was a guard that grew. People are way underestimating this kid, just like services were because he, like Kofi the year before, was on a really good team with highly ranked players, so he got a bit overshadowed.

Yep, I agree with you. Hawkins is going to be a contributor next year. 6.5 assists/game by a guy that's 6'10", plus good 3 point shooting %! Yes please. He's long and a good athlete who has great handles for a big, since he was a guard that grew. People are way underestimating this kid, just like services were because he, like Kofi the year before, was on a really good team with highly ranked players, so he got a bit overshadowed.
I agree..his film highlights are strong...he has a lot of tools, and he has time to muscle up a bit. I thing he is definitely getting overshadowed. This guy will be a handful for opposing teams IMO.

Deleted member 747080

D
For some reason, this made me think of a tag match, where these two guys stand on the sidelines with their hand out and tag in and out as the ball moves up and down the court. Never have to run more than half court, never have to play their weaker end of the court. I must have too much time on my hands these days :rolleyes:

I agree. I will not be as high on getting Okoro as others on here will be. If he came here I wouldn't be completely disappointed as he is a good athlete and would contribute defensively and with rebounding but wouldn't be overly excited as well. Would only be interested if the sit out rule is still in place to have another year of development. If his injury highly contributed to his lack of offense then I might be a little more exited about that potential. Was the shoulder injury on his shooting shoulder?

Maybe ISU would be a better destination. His relatives live in Normal and attended Normal West. I'm sure Dan Muller would be tickled pink to add him to the roster. The MVC may be a better

I agree..his film highlights are strong...he has a lot of tools, and he has time to muscle up a bit. I thing he is definitely getting overshadowed. This guy will be a handful for opposing teams IMO.
Do think it is a negative if the team is not together in the summer. Real advantage in weight training and working with the veterans for the frosh.

Do think it is a negative if the team is not together in the summer. Real advantage in weight training and working with the veterans for the frosh.

Of course it's a disadvantage, but not a relative one, since all college hoops programs are in the same boat. The relative advantage or disadvantage will be determined by how committed the players are to putting in the work without the motivation of being together, being pushed by each other and the coaches, etc. It's more a character and "want to" issue, IMO.

Deleted member 747080

D
What are you smoking we take him in a heart beat, have you seen our staff with big men
Just curious, what big men have we had that we have seen a jump in development? I am not being negative toward our staff, I absolutely love our staff and wouldn't want to change a thing in our staff. Your post implies we would see a big jump in Okoro's development. I just don't see that happening on the offensive end.

I only mentioned ISU because Okoro's family lives in Normal and would be assured of a starting position. He would thrive immediately in the MVC. If Okoro is able to play next season and Kofi is back, he would be in a reserve role. He is not a stretch 4 player as BU has mentioned as a current need. Coleman Hawkins is a future stretch for ,but he may be a year away. If Kofi is gone next season and Okoro can play, sign him up. If he has to sit a year, then it's ideal for Okoro.

Just curious, what big men have we had that we have seen a jump in development? I am not being negative toward our staff, I absolutely love our staff and wouldn't want to change a thing in our staff. Your post implies we would see a big jump in Okoro's development. I just don't see that happening on the offensive end.

Antigua came here with a reputation as a developer of bigs. My observation is Leron Black made a huge offensive jump from his r/s junior to his r/s senior season. Both GB and Kofi outperformed expectations as freshmen starters. Especially GB, who did not even start for the Patrick School. He had some struggles moving to the 4 last season, but had played well in the post in 2018/19. Kofi went from the 247comp 12th ranked class of 2019 center to the B1G freshman of the year.

He is extremely skinny right now. Without extra muscle, I think he is probably a year away. If he can just add 10 lbs, my opinion changes. However, I would pump breaks on saying 5 star talent. Skilled, yes. Down the road could be a very good player.

Read your post i know your kidding

Deleted member 747080

D
Black Kofi Big G
Is Kofi a product of development or would he be monster no matter where he played this year? Don't get me wrong, I think we used him well in our offense and got him several touches every game but development is still TBD. If he comes back for a second year and the staff works on his hands and his back to the basket moves and elevates his game then that would be considered development to me. Again I don't want to sound negative. I think our coaching staff is doing a wonderful job. I'm not saying we do a poor job of developing our bigs, I was just asking for evidences that proves we could develop Okoro into more of a offensive threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.