Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I will not be as high on getting Okoro as others on here will be. If he came here I wouldn't be completely disappointed as he is a good athlete and would contribute defensively and with rebounding but wouldn't be overly excited as well. Would only be interested if the sit out rule is still in place to have another year of development. If his injury highly contributed to his lack of offense then I might be a little more exited about that potential. Was the shoulder injury on his shooting shoulder?
Don’t think he is a game changer but certainly would be a good piece if we don’t have Kofi. Not worried about our offense even without Kofi but Giorgi will need help defensively against the BIG’s bigs.

Is Kofi a product of development or would he be monster no matter where he played this year? Don't get me wrong, I think we used him well in our offense and got him several touches every game but development is still TBD. If he comes back for a second year and the staff works on his hands and his back to the basket moves and elevates his game then that would be considered development to me. Again I don't want to sound negative. I think our coaching staff is doing a wonderful job. I'm not saying we do a poor job of developing our bigs, I was just asking for evidences that proves we could develop Okoro into more of a offensive threat.
I watched Kofi in highschool games against elite competition. Did you get a chance to watch any of his games? I was impressed with his size but he did not use it well. He played in spurts and gassed easy. He wasn't even a focal point of Oak hills offense believe it or not. Fast forward to his freshman year, the staff got him in shape, Kofi learned a couple of decent moves/ proper angles and positioning and the coaching staff made him one of the focal points of a bigten offense. In fact, Mac Entienne mentioned this very thing in his latest interview a couple days ago being impressed by how our offense ran thru a big first. The Big ten freshmen of the year was definitely developed here and we could see an even bigger jump in development if he returns...

I watched Kofi in highschool games against elite competition. Did you get a chance to watch any of his games? I was impressed with his size but he did not use it well. He played in spurts and gassed easy. He wasn't even a focal point of Oak hills offense believe it or not. Fast forward to his freshman year, the staff got him in shape, Kofi learned a couple of decent moves/ proper angles and positioning and the coaching staff made him one of the focal points of a bigten offense. In fact, Mac Entienne mentioned this very thing in his latest interview a couple days ago being impressed by how our offense ran thru a big first. The Big ten freshmen of the year was definitely developed here and we could see an even bigger jump in development if he returns...
I watched several Oak Hill games also and I totally agree with this.His defense is also waaay better than it was in highschool.And you could see the improvements in his first game.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It just gets completely brushed over because of his struggles with the move this year and Kofi taking over the 5........but what Giorgi did his freshman year cannot be overstated.
He went from an unranked "who's that guy" while watching other players.....to legitimate B1G FOY numbers.

He had one of the best freshman big seasons.....in Illini history. That....is development.

An offense/defense rotation of Okoro and Giorgi..with a chance for this staff to work with Okoro's post offense.....yeah.....

giphy.gif

I watched several Oak Hill games also and I totally agree with this.His defense is also waaay better than it was in highschool.And you could see the improvements in his first game.

IMO, there's little doubt another year of seasoning at Illinois would benefit his development. He made immense (unexpected, really) strides last season, and could be dominant next season (if there IS a season).

Deleted member 747080

D
Perfect. This are the type of examples I was looking for. I just saw one televised game and and a few highlight videos on youtube. I see your point about proper angles and positioning and totally agree with making him a focal point of the offense without taking away the strengths of the other players like Ayo and Feliz. I thought the coaching staff did a great job of balancing that and finding an offense that best fit the team.

I only brought up the question because Oregon is not a slouch of a program and Dana Altman has done a great job there so to say that we can take Okoro and coach him up and do something that Oregon couldn't do in two years is saying a lot. If the staff believes they can coach him to another level then I will trust them. At this point in my opinion one of our greatest strengths is our ability to evaluate talent when recruiting. Kofi, Giorgi, Griffin, and Feliz exceeded my expectations and played better than their rankings. This could just be evaluations or a combination of evaluating and developing them into what they believe they can be. I have a feeling both Curbelo and Hawkins will also play better than their rankings.

Giorgi (as a freshman), and Kofi unquestionably performed far above expectations. Likewise Leron Black. Whether credit goes primarily to Antigua, I don't know, but it's clear the staff does a great job with bigs. I also think Feliz exceeded expectations, and Ayo made huge strides between Fr and So campaigns. I think Underwood and his staff have a demonstrated ability to get the maximum out of most players (Jones being a notable exception, but I put that on him; Trent is another anomaly that I can't explain).

Ryan Betley to Cal. Nolley down to Memphis, Georgia and Ole Miss.....now there's a 3 some. Haarms still in the portal.
P.S. CB from Evan Daniels for Nolley to Memphis.

Last edited:

philcon

Plano, TX
T H I S.....I watched a lot of Kofi's high school games and I agree 100%. Raw talent but gassed easily and you could see the potential but he was far from developed

Giorgi (as a freshman), and Kofi unquestionably performed far above expectations. Likewise Leron Black. Whether credit goes primarily to Antigua, I don't know, but it's clear the staff does a great job with bigs. I also think Feliz exceeded expectations, and Ayo made huge strides between Fr and So campaigns. I think Underwood and his staff have a demonstrated ability to get the maximum out of most players (Jones being a notable exception, but I put that on him; Trent is another anomaly that I can't explain).
Put Trent in the success column. Smith and Jones only negatives IMO. Don’t count the ones that left who were stretches to start with.

Trent made huge strides defensively and my take is he sacrificed offensively for the good of the team.

True, to an extent, and kudos to him for taking one for the team. Maybe he hit his ceiling.

Trent made huge strides defensively and my take is he sacrificed offensively for the good of the team.
I appreciate those who can see the game completely and understand how contributions needed by players may change. Trent’s 3 point percentage went down as a result of his new role. He accepted that role gracefully. Had he not taken over the point, who knows where the season would have gone. In 50 years as a fan, Trent is one of my faves.

Deleted member 747080

D
Jones didn't work out but the potential was definitely there. Can't fault the staff for recruiting an athlete like Jones.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm not a big fan of this sentiment. Part of good coaching is to move players into new roles and not force them to take one for the team.

I think the staff has been great but they need to figure out the Trent and Giorgi problem.

What? These two are not a "problem". Individually, or together.

In fact, Trent actually solved our "problem" last year.

This is like saying, "I need to figure out my excess gold and silver problem".

Absolutely...so tired of reading comments from people that have no clue about basketball criticizing a player because he isn't scoring big numbers. Have read this about Trent, Damonte and early in the season Ayo. Trent is an absolute stud that had some bad shooting nights. He also took the #1 PG on opposing teams defensively. When Damonte hit a couple of 3's, all of a sudden he could play. Back to Trent, without him we are a bottom 5 team.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, successful teams require players to give up their own stats and play roles. This team was best when the focus was on maximizing roles.

Well of course it's their number one job. And the best coaches can do their number one job while also accomplishing other jobs like "Getting players to excel in their new position."
Be generous, they exceeded most expectations as a team and it didn’t seem the players were complaining.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Do think it is a negative if the team is not together in the summer. Real advantage in weight training and working with the veterans for the frosh.
Do we know that the team will not be back in June? I easily could have missed an announcement.

High majors after Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez

Thus far, Perez, a 6-foot-5 guard out of the Bronx (N.Y.), has heard from DePaul, Memphis, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Marquette, Rhode Island, Dayton, Illinois, Iowa State, Missouri, BYU and New Mexico.

As a sophomore Perez averaged 15.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists a game. During his freshman campaign, Perez averaged 15.1 points, while shooting 38.1-percent from three and tossing out three assists a game.

“In a lot of ways, I had to develop a pro mindset,” Perez said. I played with a lot of people that are in the NBA right now. Thanks to coach Munch [Williams] and his AAU style, he developed a lot of pros. I developed the pro mindset where I’m always in the gym, I’m always working out as well and trying to take my game to the next level.”

https://247sports.com/college/illin...rgia-Marquette-Illinois-Iowa-State-146263314/

Status
Not open for further replies.