Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep an eye on the portal today and over the next few days.

There are some names that will be entering soon, that the staff is extremely interested in along with one or two already in the portal.
Indy did we back off Brown or did he back away from us? Guys we are interested in portal post or guards?

sacraig

The desert
saztEbi.gif

This isn't referring to any transfers this year, but Mississippi Valley State Center Richard "Big Tuna" Rivers is going JuCo this upcoming year and wants to reach a high major squad in the future. He's 6'11 280 and can shoot pretty well. Didn't get much PT at MVSU for whatever reason but I think this is a name to watch out for next year, absolutely love his potential.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Reliving the heartbreak Jordan gave him over and over in The Last Dance AND Man McClung enters the transfer portal. Guess it's not your week Ewing.

Reliving the heartbreak Jordan gave him over and over in The Last Dance AND Man McClung enters the transfer portal. Guess it's not your week Ewing.
Reliving the heartbreak he gave us in the hall 2 years ago, I'd take him in a heartbeat. When he out hustled Kipper to the ball and went in and slammed it, I remember thing "why don't we get payers like him".

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Reliving the heartbreak he gave us in the hall 2 years ago, I'd take him in a heartbeat. When he out hustled Kipper to the ball and went in and slammed it, I remember thing "why don't we get payers like him".
The best part is, since that game, we have gotten players like him. Several of them.

hin10

O'Fallon, MO
Regarding Painter - didn't he very publicly flirt with taking the Miznoz job a few years ago in order to coax a raise out of Purdue? Wasn't that only for his own best interests? But hey, take a college kid to task for wanting to try and put themselves in the best position they can to achieve their goals. Sure, maybe the kid is wrong about their potential and work ethic to achieve those goals, but this seems like a real bad take by Painter in my opinion.

sacraig

The desert
Regarding Painter - didn't he very publicly flirt with taking the Miznoz job a few years ago in order to coax a raise out of Purdue? Wasn't that only for his own best interests? But hey, take a college kid to task for wanting to try and put themselves in the best position they can to achieve their goals. Sure, maybe the kid is wrong about their potential and work ethic to achieve those goals, but this seems like a real bad take by Painter in my opinion.

Miznoz fans very publicly expressed the idea that Painter was flirting with taking their job. I don't know if it was ever clear how seriously Painter himself was considering it or if it was just pure Miznoz narcissism.

I think Painter has a good point about the players who want to be a pro but haven't put in the work necessary to make it, to be honest. There is a lot of entitlement that some of these players have based heavily on how great they were in high school, how many stars 247 gave them, the praise of the sycophants around them, etc. So yeah, I think Painter is right on the money there. He just perhaps didn't need to be quite so publicly blunt in how he said it. But, you know... it's the Dan Dakich show, so it you aren't being a blunt a-hole, would you even be invited back?

The comments about not being a Boilermaker if you walk out even if you got your degree already just reek of sour grapes, though. That's not cool.

His comments about giving them too much freedom to move around ring especially hollow to me, though. He claims it lets them move around instead of having to deal with adversity and that's not how life is. But moving around often creates at least as much adversity as it solves and as many of these transfers end up in worse positions as they do better positions, so I don't see how this is somehow abdicating the responsibility of forcing the players to deal with adversity. If they don't like the situation they are in and have the power to change it, then they should be able to do so.

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
You would think Eastern would maybe wait, I don’t know, more than a half hour after entering the portal before announcing his decision in order to hide the obvious that Michigan tampered-but whatever. Won’t be long before the smoke catches up and burns Howard.
Coach Painter's comments make more sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.