Transfers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an insider, but I don't think that's correct about Brown. And I didn't say he's been successful all the time, but it seems like his strategy.

That is correct about Brown. We didn’t want to play a 3 at the 4 with the aspirations we have for this year.

Re Justin Smith of IU, I did a quick look at the IU tweets at time of his transfer announcements and they generally said he was one of the best athletes/players on the team, BUT not a good enough shooter for a 3 and not big enough for a 4, so not a good fit for IU, esp w the younger players in their pipeline. Also, some middling feedback about chemistry and consistency. Said he'd fit best with a team that can go with a small 4 and play fast.

So, since we need a solid, proven, full-sized 4, I'd guess we pass on Smith.

Re Justin Smith of IU, I did a quick look at the IU tweets at time of his transfer announcements and they generally said he was one of the best athletes/players on the team, BUT not a good enough shooter for a 3 and not big enough for a 4, so not a good fit for IU, esp w the younger players in their pipeline. Also, some middling feedback about chemistry and consistency. Said he'd fit best with a team that can go with a small 4 and play fast.

Smith is 6-7, 230. I feel like that is a full-sized 4. He’s also proven and pretty solid. He started all 32 of their games last year and averaged over 10 pts and 5 rebounds. He’s certainly no sharpshooter but he’s a good defender. If the staff is holding out for Foster, then ok; but other than him, I’d say they’re not gonna find many better options than Smith for the 4 next year, especially at this point.

Smith is 6-7, 230. I feel like that is a full-sized 4. He’s also proven and pretty solid. He started all 32 of their games last year and averaged over 10 pts and 5 rebounds. He’s certainly no sharpshooter but he’s a good defender. If the staff is holding out for Foster, then ok; but other than him, I’d say they’re not gonna find many better options than Smith for the 4 next year, especially at this point.
Wonder how big Grandison is? BU said the transfers had added 20#. He is listed on last years roster at 200# and thought he was a shooter. Some guys just play big particularly on the boards. Chaundee Brown looked like one of those but don’t remember Smith that way but thought him athletic. Wing span also important and is reason DaMonte can guard a four. I think we have options at the four, just not at the level of the other positions. Size much more important if Kofi doesn’t return and guess we are all assuming he will be.

Wonder how big Grandison is? BU said the transfers had added 20#. He is listed on last years roster at 200# and thought he was a shooter. Some guys just play big particularly on the boards. Chaundee Brown looked like one of those but don’t remember Smith that way but thought him athletic. Wing span also important and is reason DaMonte can guard a four. I think we have options at the four, just not at the level of the other positions. Size much more important if Kofi doesn’t return and guess we are all assuming he will be.
Yeah I agree we have multiple options for the 4. I’m just saying that Smith seems like he’d be a good addition for the 4 if the staff is looking to add a 4.

JS and Brown are two totally different players and the staff will add smith if they can. The staff however has expressed interest in adding a more long term option at the 4 if they can who fits more of the “full-sized 4” model they are looking for, as someone stated a few posts back...

the problem with Smith is he and Grandison are the same type of player, but just have different strengthens.. and from everything I’ve gathered, the staff is not looking to add another 3/4 who really is a 3...

but Smith may be the best exception to that “rule” because of his supreme athleticism and defense which we both desperately need for this team and his defense is something BU covets! 🤷🏼‍♂🤷

Tacomallini

Washington State
Can teams still block a transfer to another school in the same conference, or is that just a thing from a bygone era?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Smith is a grad transfer, he can go anywhere he wants. He doesnt need anyone's blessings
Did the "rule" change, that stated to be a grad transfer, you had to be going somewhere that offered a major that your current school doesn't offer? I know that it really didn't stop anyone, but there used to be an appearance of a hurdle.

The Groce years had a ton of off court issues. I seem to remember like 7 different names having varying levels of issues. BU seems to have reeled that in.

I give credit to the type of guys he's recruited. Hopefully, recruits/families see that as another plus of this regime.

Feel like it's more on the players than the coach. Every coach lectures about good decisions and staying focused. Coaches can't help what players decide to do with their personal time.

I go to Indiana and after watching our games I think the best comparison is a taller, more chiseled version than Kipper Nichols. If I were Illinois I would pass a lot of weaknesses in his game, and besides maybe Joey Brunk probably most useless rotation player while on court.

Status
Not open for further replies.