TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaytonIllini

D
Lots of great shows mentioned. Many of you have excellent taste in television!

Did anyone mention Homeland? Shameless? True Blood? Curb Your Enthusiasm? The Tudors? John Adams miniseries?

I loved Breaking Bad.

Justified is now number 1 to me. I've been watching it since the jump. I just dig the different sub cultures involved with crime, and this gives you a great feeling of Kentucky crime.

Person of Interest

My wife doesn't allow me to watch Shameless or House of Lies anymore. They are very explicit shows, but a lot of entertainment. I still watch them, but don't tell her ; )

Comedies I dig :
Last Man Standing - My favorite show outside of Justified
Mindy Show
The League
New Girl - Meh sometimes, but it has moments
Modern Family
Suburagatory
Curb your enthusiasm - I haven't watched the last season, but I'm not sure if it has came out yet? It never gets old watching Larry fight, and argue with everybody. The Black family was pretty comical too. Leon is a clown
Real Husbands of Hollywood

Reality -
Gold Rush
Bering Sea Gold
America Unearthed

Futuristic -
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
Futurescape with James Wood

Gangland, Border Wars and American Gangster

Too much T.V. but all of those are quality programs. I'm sure there are a couple that I didn't mention too.

Last edited:

CardsIllinifan8

C
I loved Breaking Bad.

Justified is now number 1 to me. I've been watching it since the jump. I just dig the different sub cultures involved with crime, and this gives you a great feeling of Kentucky crime.

Person of Interest

I love that show!! I like how they added a female partner. She actually adds a lot to the show!

My wife doesn't allow me to watch Shameless or House of Lies anymore. They are very explicit shows, but a lot of entertainment. I still watch them, but don't tell her ; )

Comedies I dig :
Last Man Standing - My favorite show outside of Justified
Mindy Show
The League
New Girl - Meh sometimes, but it has moments
Modern Family
Suburagatory
Curb your enthusiasm - I haven't watched the last season, but I'm not sure if it has came out yet? It never gets old watching Larry fight, and argue with everybody. The Black family was pretty comical too. Leon is a clown
Real Husbands of Hollywood

Reality -
Gold Rush
Bering Sea Gold
America Unearthed

Futuristic -
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
Futurescape with James Wood

Gangland, Border Wars and American Gangster

Too much T.V. but all of those are quality programs. I'm sure there are a couple that I didn't mention too.

CardsIllinifan8

C
Lots of great shows mentioned. Many of you have excellent taste in television!

Did anyone mention Homeland? Shameless? True Blood? Curb Your Enthusiasm? The Tudors? John Adams miniseries?

The Tudors? What's that show about?

eMitch

Quincy, IL
I really like the serial type shows on cable whose plots don't start and end with each episode, which is so typical of the networks.

Deadwood (ended too soon)
Walking Dead - I love almost anything post-apocalyptic - zombies or not
Breaking Bad
Homeland
Vikings
Rome (also ended too soon)
Dexter
Banshee - Lots of sex and really good violence
The Americans
True Detective
Survivors (1975) - Really good 1st season
Survivors (2008) - Still needs a better remake

On the networks I like The Blacklist

Tried Game of Thrones once for about an episode and a half and just couldn't get into it. I'm not real big on LOTR fantasy type stuff and GoT seemed to be a lot like that.

I was a big fan of Rome too. Deadwood, Weeds, and Nip Tuck were also favorites too.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Let's see here:

I have to echo the sentiments for Justified. Probably my favorite show on TV right now. For anyone with an Amazon Prime membership, I highly recommend their streaming service. I have a Roku with Amazon Instant Stream, and it streams almost as much content as Netflix and is included in what you already pay for the Prime Membership. I dumped Netflix as a result. Anywho, every episode of Justified is included in the Prime instant stream through Amazon (you can also rent all sorts of tv shows and movies through Amazon, similar to Google Play... don't think that is a Netflix option right now).

In addition to Justified:

Sherlock (British version featuring Benedict Cumberbatch, outstanding)
Modern Family (every episode is so consistently high quality)
Walking Dead (Still not a big fan of watching it after dark)
Psych (just announced this is the last season)
The Goldbergs (way funnier than expected)
The Big Bang Theory (It has won so many awards for a reason)
Parks & Recreation (Ron Swanson!)
Revolution (very interesting concept, some episodes can be hit or miss though)
Men at Work (guilty pleasure)
Workaholics (less funny now that I have quit certain habits... still a guilty pleasure)

Not currently on air, but recently watched:

Deadwood (Timothy Olyphant is the man)
America: The History of US (Very excellently details the history of the United States)
24 (re-watching it in preparation of the new season to come this May)

I work from home, so I watch quite a bit of tv as my background noise. Other shows I watch, but aren't everyone's cup of tea include: The Mentalist, The Good Wife, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Elementary, How I Met Your Mother (this one has gotten brutal, used to be one of my favorites), Comic Book Men, Newsroom. There are more, but that covers off the most relevant to me.

Whew, I think I need to cut down on my TV habits... :eek:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Homeland season 1. Talk about intensity.

Damian Lewis' previous show, Life, prematurely canceled by NBC after 2 very good seasons. Sarah Shahi, smoking eye candy.

Terriers, great show. Still grieving over that cancellation.

The Blacklist is brutal, but a very good show thus far. Spader, say no more.

Louie (Louis C.K.) is uneven, but can be hilarious.

Friday Night Lights (Full hearts, clear eyes...) was an excellent show.

Oh, yeah, The Wire. Best show ever. Jimmy, Bunk and "all in the game, yo" Omar. Masterpiece. Can't believe I forgot it on my first post.

David Milch's Deadwood is right up there too. Phenomenal writing, cast, production.

Damages, season 1 in particular.

Six Feet Under was a damn good show too.

House of Cards. Can't wait 'til 3:01 tonight. lol

Last edited:

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Many good shows listed so far, but did anyone else watch season one of Orphan Black? It is a sci-fi show on BBC America, and Tatiana Maslany has already won awards for her performance. Nearly anything I would say or that you would read would be considered spoilers, but let me highly recommend it. Season 2 starts in April.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
My list:
Homeland
Strike Back
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Revolution
The Americans
Big Bang Theory
Blue Bloods
The Amazing Race

24 is my all-time favorite show. Nice to see that Jack Bauer will be back for an encore appearance in May. Cant wait...

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
A few mentioned Justified and the Lincoln Lawyer. Both derived from novels. If you enjoy crime fiction give Elmore Leonard a try. He created Raylan. The Lincoln Lawyer is a terrific novel from Michael Connelly. The main character continues on in a couple novels that followed the Lincoln Lawyer.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Many good shows listed so far, but did anyone else watch season one of Orphan Black? It is a sci-fi show on BBC America, and Tatiana Maslany has already won awards for her performance. Nearly anything I would say or that you would read would be considered spoilers, but let me highly recommend it. Season 2 starts in April.

Doin' a doh! now. That's an excellent show. Been waiting for season 2 far too long.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
A few mentioned Justified and the Lincoln Lawyer. Both derived from novels. If you enjoy crime fiction give Elmore Leonard a try. He created Raylan. The Lincoln Lawyer is a terrific novel from Michael Connelly. The main character continues on in a couple novels that followed the Lincoln Lawyer.

Anything by Connelly is worth reading. The Bosch series is fantastic (better than Haller IMO, which is saying something). Another excellent writer is Ian Rankin.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
The Bosch series is fantastic (better than Haller IMO, which is saying something).

Amazon has a Bosch pilot available for anyone to watch and review. They are considering it as one of their upcoming Prime exclusives. I watched it a few days ago and was quite impressed w/ Titus Welliver as Bosch.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
Doin' a doh! now. That's an excellent show. Been waiting for season 2 far too long.

Tried Orphan Black a while back but couldn't get into it. Does remind me of one that I forgot though, Luther, from BBC. Start Idris Elba or something like that - he starred in Pacific Rim also. If you do watch Luther, probably a good idea to turn on closed captioning.

Leonardite

Mississippi
I haven't seen it mentioned (maybe it has been), but has anyone watched Boardwalk Empire? I've been wanting to watch it.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I haven't seen it mentioned (maybe it has been), but has anyone watched Boardwalk Empire? I've been wanting to watch it.

Any show that has Omar in it is worth watching. :D

Joking aside, very good show, but not quite elite. Buscemi is great, Bobby Cannavale kills it (literally) on season 3. Jimmy, his mom, and his wife become tiring (gets fixed though, lol). The ensemble cast of mobsters (Rothstein, Capone, Manny Horvitz, etc.) is great.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Boardwalk empire
House of cards
Arrested D
Justified
Walking dead
Hell on wheels
Deadwood (I really wish this would have lasted another season or two)
The BBC Sherlock
And I hope to dive in to The Americans and True Detective

I enjoy a lot of what has already been talked about. A couple that I don't think have been mentioned are Castle and (please don't judge me please don't judge me) Small Town Security (you judged me didn't you?).

I enjoy a lot of what has already been talked about. A couple that I don't think have been mentioned are Castle and (please don't judge me please don't judge me) Small Town Security (you judged me didn't you?).

I won't and can't judge. I'm a 23 year old male and I love Pretty Little Liars on ABC Family. Every Tuesday night; Pretty Little Liars followed by Justified. Two drastically different hours of television.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I won't and can't judge. I'm a 23 year old male and I love Pretty Little Liars on ABC Family. Every Tuesday night; Pretty Little Liars followed by Justified. Two drastically different hours of television.

Got you beat, man. Used to watch (or be in the room, anyway) Barney, every friggin' day (BJ is the one!). Those were the days, lol.

CardsIllinifan8

C

I laffed pretty good. I miss The OC, that show was the ish.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
Any show that has Omar in it is worth watching. :D

Joking aside, very good show, but not quite elite. Buscemi is great, Bobby Cannavale kills it (literally) on season 3. Jimmy, his mom, and his wife become tiring (gets fixed though, lol). The ensemble cast of mobsters (Rothstein, Capone, Manny Horvitz, etc.) is great.

I agree. Season 3 was the best so far. I haven't seen 4 yet.

It has its slow moments though. But like all HBO shows, the detail and depth is incredible.

I'm in the group who loves Parks and Rec. 30 Rock is very funny too.

USA - Burn Notice, White Collar, Hank Med, and I watched the first few seasons of Psych.

Is always Sunny re-runs usually are good for a few laughs.

Boardwalk is a show I also like.

Sons is probably my second favorite show after Justified.

I seriously recommend watching Last Man Standing which stars Tim Allen.

My favorite shows to watch with my 1 y.o. son are College basketball, NFL football, and Mickey Mouse Club House. Miska mouska, Mickey Mouse!!!! The kid loves all three, and I hope to add baseball this spring. I would love it if he were a soccer fan too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.