TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardsIllinifan8

C
What shows are you watching now?

I just got down with Breaking Bad. Holy cow, such a great show. The ending was perfect. Wouldn't of changed a thing at all.

Right now though, I am watching True Detective. It is on Sunday nights on HBO, and it is a anthology show. This season it has Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as the main characters. They work damn well with each other, and its like a movie but broke up in 8 segments. Episode 5 in on Sunday and should be the best one yet.

Here's the website to check out some clips if you haven't watched an episode: True Detective

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
I really enjoy Justified. The other series I can't escape after my wife got me hooked is Downton Abbey. It's nothing more than a british period soap opera but it's addictive and it's only only on for short run each year. I don't get HBO so I'll wait for True Detective to make it to DVD and get it at the library.

Presently airing:
-The Walking Dead (comics got me hooked)
-Justified

Overall:
-Breaking Bad (Like CardsIlliniFan8 said, perfect ending.)
-Dexter (Polar opposite of Breaking Bad. Still love the show though.)
-Californication (Probably my favorite show. Final season [7] coming in April.)
-Mad Men (Is this the last season?)
-Sons of Anarchy
-House of Cards (Netflix exclusive. Loved season 1. Season 2 releases Friday.)
-How I Met Your Mother (Please end it right. The last two seasons were disastrous.)

Lanphier

L
I've been watching South Park from beginning to the end, currently on season 9 of 17. I'm really enjoying seeing how the show has progressed over the years and am realizing more and more how genius those guys truly are.

Shows I've watch.

#1 of all time Boy Meets World. As a guy in his 30's I am way to giddy for Girl Meets World to come out.

Other more recent
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
West Wing
HIMYM
Big Bang Theory
Walking Dead(Has slowed a bit for me personally)
Chuck(Mainly for Yvonne)
King of Queens

I'm not big on 2-3 season shows for some reason I like the longer playing shows.

CardsIllinifan8

C
Shows I've watch.

#1 of all time Boy Meets World. As a guy in his 30's I am way to giddy for Girl Meets World to come out.

Other more recent

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

West Wing

HIMYM

Big Bang Theory

Walking Dead(Has slowed a bit for me personally)

Chuck(Mainly for Yvonne)

King of Queens

I'm not big on 2-3 season shows for some reason I like the longer playing shows.

You have no idea how giddy that I can see Taponga(sp?). I still watch BMW when I have a chance to. I felt like Feeny and BMW helped me through high school!

CardsIllinifan8

C
I've been meaning to start Dexter but True Detective came on, and this has my eyes glued. How is Dexter? Some people say it lost it's luster after season 5, I believe.

I've been meaning to start Dexter but True Detective came on, and this has my eyes glued. How is Dexter? Some people say it lost it's luster after season 5, I believe.

The first 4-5 seasons of Dexter are very, very good. There was a dip in quality in seasons 6-8. I'd recommend watching the pilot episode and see how you like it.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
True Detective is my current favorite. Just an amazing show. Great cast, great setting, great writing. Can't wait to see what happens next, episode 4 was nuts

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Justified
Rectify
The Fall
Sherlock Holmes (Moffat)
Strike Back
Banshee
GoT (of course)
Mad Men

The Americans and The Bridge are pretty good too. Last 10 years has been the golden age of TV, AFAIC.

Breaking Bad (doh!)
Deadwood
The Shield
Sopranos
<many more>

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL

Season 4 of that show might be the best single season of any show not named Breaking Bad that I've ever seen. If you start Dexter, at least make it to that season. Season 3 sucked, so you can skip that. Otherwise, I liked Dexter overall. I thought it got a little silly the last few seasons, but it was still watchable..at least to me.

Breaking Bad trumps any show ever, period.
The Sopranos is number 2 on my list.
The League is one of my favorite comedies.
Whoever mentioned South Park is spot on. The writers really are geniuses once you get past the crude humor. That was definitely my favorite show growing up.

I've heard really good things about Orange is the new Black (awesome color choice btw). I'll probably start that soon.

Could somebody give a description of True Detective? It's been mentioned a number of times already and it has me curious.

CardsIllinifan8

C
Could somebody give a description of True Detective? It's been mentioned a number of times already and it has me curious.

Here's a short synopsis--Matthew McConaughey(sp?) and Woody Harrelson are homicide detectives/partners. MM plays Rust and WH plays Marty. Rust is very smart but weird, and Marty is the gun ho type of cop. Marty also cheats on his wife with Alexandra Daddario who is a smoke show. Rust is weird, but gets what he wants from potential suspects. Those are the two main characters.

First off, they are in the year 2012 getting asked questions by the new homicide detectives. But the case they worked on was in 1995. However, They are in the setting of 1995 most of the time. MM and WH are playing virtually 2 separate roles in 2 different settings. Hard job, but both have done an awesome job. MM award type performance so far.

Ok, Rust and Marty are investigating a murder of a wife and they believe it's by a serial killer. They go talk with the deceased ladies husband in prison. He leads them nowhere, and they keep spinning the tires and getting nowhere at all. They get a break, by Rust just being persistent.

Rust does something in the latest episode he did in his past. Can't really divulge any farther without giving away too much.

This is by far the best show on TV right now. It's like a movie but broken down in 8 separate segments, and goes into depth. Next season will be a different cast and story.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Season 4 of that show might be the best single season of any show not named Breaking Bad that I've ever seen. If you start Dexter, at least make it to that season. Season 3 sucked, so you can skip that. Otherwise, I liked Dexter overall. I thought it got a little silly the last few seasons, but it was still watchable..at least to me.

Breaking Bad trumps any show ever, period.
The Sopranos is number 2 on my list.
The League is one of my favorite comedies.
Whoever mentioned South Park is spot on. The writers really are geniuses once you get past the crude humor. That was definitely my favorite show growing up.

I've heard really good things about Orange is the new Black (awesome color choice btw). I'll probably start that soon.

The League is great. Another good comedy is Shameless.

Orange is the New Black is pretty good, but not even close to great.

Another excellent show is the Starz Spartacus series, by Jupiter's c*ck!

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
I cannot believe nobody has mentioned Game of Thrones. It's the best show on TV right now.

Dexter is really good. I think the first 4 seasons are all great. Just starting season 5, where I've also heard the series takes an odd turn.

I watched the first episode of True Detective. It's slow, but I'm going to keep watching.

I have been catching up on HBO shows lately as well. Band of Brothers, if you haven't seen it, is a MUST watch. No doubt about it. The Pacific is next, then probably Deadwood and The Wire.

I'm watching The Walking Dead, but it's coming down from it's peak in Season 3, I believe. But I'm still giving it a chance.

Sons of Anarchy is really good, but it's getting to where it's just outrageous with the violence they all seem to live through. The ending of season 5 was stellar though.

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned Game of Thrones. It's the best show on TV right now.

Dexter is really good. I think the first 4 seasons are all great. Just starting season 5, where I've also heard the series takes an odd turn.

I watched the first episode of True Detective. It's slow, but I'm going to keep watching.

I have been catching up on HBO shows lately as well. Band of Brothers, if you haven't seen it, is a MUST watch. No doubt about it. The Pacific is next, then probably Deadwood and The Wire.

I'm watching The Walking Dead, but it's coming down from it's peak in Season 3, I believe. But I'm still giving it a chance.

Sons of Anarchy is really good, but it's getting to where it's just outrageous with the violence they all seem to live through. The ending of season 5 was stellar though.

I love reading TV fans discuss the best shows on TV right now. Presently, there are so many high-quality programs that 10 different people could believe there is a "best" show. It's a great problem to have.

That being said, I haven't started Game of Thrones (much to many of my friends' disbelief).

Based on the comics, The Walking Dead should be picking up. I was disappointed with the second half of season 3, but I think that was largely due to the great mid-season finale. I've got my own crackpot theories as to where this season will end, but that is for another discussion.

Here's a short synopsis--Matthew McConaughey(sp?) and Woody Harrelson are homicide detectives/partners. MM plays Rust and WH plays Marty. Rust is very smart but weird, and Marty is the gun ho type of cop. Marty also cheats on his wife with Alexandra Daddario who is a smoke show. Rust is weird, but gets what he wants from potential suspects. Those are the two main characters.

First off, they are in the year 2012 getting asked questions by the new homicide detectives. But the case they worked on was in 1995. However, They are in the setting of 1995 most of the time. MM and WH are playing virtually 2 separate roles in 2 different settings. Hard job, but both have done an awesome job. MM award type performance so far.

Ok, Rust and Marty are investigating a murder of a wife and they believe it's by a serial killer. They go talk with the deceased ladies husband in prison. He leads them nowhere, and they keep spinning the tires and getting nowhere at all. They get a break, by Rust just being persistent.

Rust does something in the latest episode he did in his past. Can't really divulge any farther without giving away too much.

This is by far the best show on TV right now. It's like a movie but broken down in 8 separate segments, and goes into depth. Next season will be a different cast and story.

Thanks for a detailed synopsis without spoilers! Sounds like I have to give it a chance. McConaughey has just had a HUGE 2013.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
I love reading TV fans discuss the best shows on TV right now. Presently, there are so many high-quality programs that 10 different people could believe there is a "best" show. It's a great problem to have.

That being said, I haven't started Game of Thrones (much to many of my friends' disbelief).

Based on the comics, The Walking Dead should be picking up. I was disappointed with the second half of season 3, but I think that was largely due to the great mid-season finale. I've got my own crackpot theories as to where this season will end, but that is for another discussion.

On GOT - I just happen to think it's the most in depth story as far as shows go right now. It's just high quality with great acting. But you are right, many people say that about different shows.

This will be unpopular, but I saw 3 seasons of Breaking Bad and turned it off. I was not a fan at all. I found myself bored and couldn't pay attention. But that's just me.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Game of Thrones (amazing)
Walking Dead (was slow for a little while but it's picking up again)
South Park
Family Guy
Watched the first 4 seasons of Mad Men and then lost track (love the show, though)
About to start House of Cards.

Game of Thrones (amazing)
Walking Dead (was slow for a little while but it's picking up again)
South Park
Family Guy
Watched the first 4 seasons of Mad Men and then lost track (love the show, though)
About to start House of Cards.

Enjoy House of Cards. Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, and Kate Mara are all awesome. It's easily my favorite of the Netflix exclusive programs (wow, that was a specific category).

CardsIllinifan8

C
Thanks for a detailed synopsis without spoilers! Sounds like I have to give it a chance. McConaughey has just had a HUGE 2013.

He's been money since Lincoln lawyer!!

If you like any of his previous movies, you will love this!

He's been money since Lincoln lawyer!!

If you like any of his previous movies, you will love this!

Oh believe me, I was all over that! It was streaming on Netflix for the longest time. I think it got pulled with the new year.

CardsIllinifan8

C
Oh believe me, I was all over that! It was streaming on Netflix for the longest time. I think it got pulled with the new year.

No!!!! I want to watch it now :(, Looks like I have to go but it

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
True Detective, Game of Thrones are my favorites. I loved the League and I still watch Grimm.

House is my all time favorite serial. Band of Brothers was also fantastic. The Pacific was good, not as good as Band of Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.