TV Shows

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Peaky Blinders season 4 just dropped (on Netflix). For those who haven't seen this show, watch it!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Great news: Peaky Blinders season 5 has been confirmed by the BBC. Season 4 was very good.

Stranger things is great (obviously) and I’m also about halfway through season 1 of narcos. Netflix rules. Hopefully it will still exist in its current form soon.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Stranger things is great (obviously) and I’m also about halfway through season 1 of narcos. Netflix rules. Hopefully it will still exist in its current form soon.

Eh?

Narcos: haven't watched season 3 (yet), but the first two seasons are VG. The actor who plays Escobar is outstanding

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Peaky Blinders season 4 just dropped (on Netflix). For those who haven't seen this show, watch it!

We enjoyed the first 3 seasons. Seemed to get better and better as it went along. Looking forward to starting Season 4 soon.

Also really looking forward to Black Mirror Season 4. :thumb:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
2.5 episodes into Godless (Netflix). It's great, so far, and I'm not a big westerns guy. Script, cast, cinematography, scenery, this show has it all.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
2.5 episodes into Godless (Netflix). It's great, so far, and I'm not a big westerns guy. Script, cast, cinematography, scenery, this show has it all.

What is this Godless about? Anything like Hell On Wheels? Watched that series and enjoyed it. Last I looked there were some rumblings of a continuation or offshoot of that series.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
What is this Godless about? Anything like Hell On Wheels? Watched that series and enjoyed it. Last I looked there were some rumblings of a continuation or offshoot of that series.

Godless is not much like HoW other than the general Western setting, but I think if you liked HoW you'll like this.

The gist of it is (hopefully no spoilers)--there's a silver mining town in New Mexico where the majority of the men are killed in a mining accident, leaving just the women and a very small handful of men. Meanwhile, there's a gang on a vendetta ride going through the area, and eventually the two converge.

I binged the whole thing in a weekend--it was pretty well done, great actors (Jeff Daniels as a villain was terrific, Sam Waterston as a crusty old sheriff was also great, Denise from The Walking Dead, and Maryy Crawley from Downton Abbey), and good production values.

The narrative jumps across locations and time period, so things can be a little tough to keep up with for a while, but once everything starts to move toward a climax it's really, really good TV.

8/10 from me.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Godless is not much like HoW other than the general Western setting, but I think if you liked HoW you'll like this.

The gist of it is (hopefully no spoilers)--there's a silver mining town in New Mexico where the majority of the men are killed in a mining accident, leaving just the women and a very small handful of men. Meanwhile, there's a gang on a vendetta ride going through the area, and eventually the two converge.

I binged the whole thing in a weekend--it was pretty well done, great actors (Jeff Daniels as a villain was terrific, Sam Waterston as a crusty old sheriff was also great, Denise from The Walking Dead, and Maryy Crawley from Downton Abbey), and good production values.

The narrative jumps across locations and time period, so things can be a little tough to keep up with for a while, but once everything starts to move toward a climax it's really, really good TV.

8/10 from me.

Excellent summary. Finished it yesterday. Thought it was compelling. I give it 8.5 or 9/10.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Thanks guys, I'll get it in the que. Is this an ongoing thing or was it all played out?

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Almost for sure it's a one off. 7 ~1 hour episodes.

Agree.

Funny thing, I thought it was an 8 episode show. I get to the end of episode 7 and think "where does this go next" waiting for NF to roll to the next ep....I really didn't want it to end, kind of like Deadwood.

BTW, the Deadwood movie looks like it's actually going to happen.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Fearless (Amazon): British legal drama, starring Helen McCrory (Aunt Polly of Peaky Blinders). Good cast, good writing, very good show. 8.0.

Mary Kills People: Canadian show. 2 seasons, 6 episodes per. Caroline Dhavernas of Hannibal stars. very good, 7.7.

Strike Back (Cinemax): yes, it's back, in rebooted form. 2 episodes in. Pretty mindless entertainment, lots of action, leavened with humor. Not as good as the original, but good. 7.5

Happy (SyFy): Tripping hit man. VG. 8.0

Counterpart (Starz): great, so far. JK Simmons stars. 9.0

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Altered Carbon on Netflix is good. That is all.

I've only watched the 1st episode so far, but it seems interesting. They must have had a nice budget to work with. This visuals are outstanding.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I started Peaky Blinders. I like it, but probably not something I'm going to binge.

Having said that, I did binge Ozark a few weeks ago. Very well written and it's a blast seeing Jason Bateman break bad. I can't remember if I've mentioned GLOW in the past, but that's also a lot of fun and Marc Maron was made for his role. I think it's getting another season.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon's Jack Ryan series looks like. I've got a feeling Ryan will be far deeper in the action than Clancy ever envisioned.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
I started Peaky Blinders. I like it, but probably not something I'm going to binge.

Having said that, I did binge Ozark a few weeks ago. Very well written and it's a blast seeing Jason Bateman break bad. I can't remember if I've mentioned GLOW in the past, but that's also a lot of fun and Marc Maron was made for his role. I think it's getting another season.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon's Jack Ryan series looks like. I've got a feeling Ryan will be far deeper in the action than Clancy ever envisioned.

I liked Ozark and then went to Quarry, which I liked a whole lot. The older you are, the more you'll like it. It's set in the early 70's. Should check it out.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Quarry and Ozark are both worthy of one's time. Looking forward to Jack Ryan, while trying not to get my hopes up too much. New seasons Sneaky Pete and Bosch coming soon. Yipee! So much good TV!

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Jessica Jones - Season 2 tomorrow
Sneaky Pete - Season 2 Friday

:thumb:

Definitely late to the ballgame, but I am two episodes into season one of Better Call Saul and I'm hooked.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Definitely late to the ballgame, but I am two episodes into season one of Better Call Saul and I'm hooked.

Slippin' Jimmy, great stuff!

Am 20 minutes into Sneaky Pete S02 and, hot damn, I forgot about how good S01 was.

Slippin' Jimmy, great stuff!

Am 20 minutes into Sneaky Pete S02 and, hot damn, I forgot about how good S01 was.

it starts off good and gets much better. Enjoy the ride.

I have shamefully watched too many episodes over the last several says... Going back to the Breaking Bad days, Mike is one of the most fascinating characters to watch. The writing of his character and his approach to the various situations he finds himself in is so impressively clever.

Also, for fans of standup comedy, Joe DeRosa plays the veterinarian.

Finished season 2 of Better Call Saul just in time for season 3 to arrive on Netflix!

Other shows I've been watching: Penny Dreadful and BoJack Horseman. The former is entertaining, but I have to watch it in smaller doses. The latter might be my new go-to animated show on Netflix since the departures of both Bob's Burgers and Archer.