TV Ted Considering Retirement

Deleted member 29907

D
Dont tease me! :eek:

Probably thinking people will be begging him to stay. Always ego first. I thought the blond haired red during the minn game was actually trying to show up BU trying to push him back to the is hthe s box while little Ricky got to roam the court.

Teddy was on full display at the Bragging Rights game. Strutted around like royalty, made every call as dramatically as possible.

Teddy was on full display at the Bragging Rights game. Strutted around like royalty, made every call as dramatically as possible.

True, but there'll always be a little soft spot in my heart for the beat-down he put on Knight.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Pleeeeeaaaaaase.

Maybe he'll negotiate some kind of live TV retirement announcement.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Teddy is one of those rare referees that makes calls that absolutely nobody else sees, even on replay. Those are the officials that in my opinion went the attention on themselves.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
He is a very good ref, as his assignments show. One of the very, very few to stand up to Knight. The whole TV Ted garbage was because of that game. Initiated by hick hoosier fans. So much for the herd.

If the hoosier's incident was the only example of TV Ted's "TV'ness", I'd agree. But....

He is a very good ref, as his assignments show. One of the very, very few to stand up to Knight. The whole TV Ted garbage was because of that game. Initiated by hick hoosier fans. So much for the herd.

In fairness, there is probably some confirmation bias on my part based on the confidence level displayed on obviously wrong (from the comfort of my living room TV) calls, but my initial reaction is I assumed he had dirt on somebody to get his assignments.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
In fairness, there is probably some confirmation bias on my part based on the confidence level displayed on obviously wrong (from the comfort of my living room TV) calls, but my initial reaction is I assumed he had dirt on somebody to get his assignments.

LOL.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I was sitting behind the basket, 3rd row when Illinois played Auburn in Atlanta, and the seats are really, really close to the floor. Ted's assignment had him in that corner of the court a big chunk of the time and I came away with almost 2 different opinions of him--

When the cameras were off--pre-game and commercials--he's a very amiable guy. He was talking to the arena staff, people close to the court, etc. and seemed like a genuinely good guy.

While the game is going on, he's performing. He's a good ref, and his numbers and reviews support it, but they guy definitely plays to the camera. But the other thing I'll concede to him, and the camera doesn't always pick this up--if he makes a call that a player doesn't like, he goes back to that player and talks about it. The handful of times I saw that fairly close, it was a constructive conversation and the players seemed to walk away understanding why they got that call.

To compare him to another b-ball personality, I'd say he's a lot like Dickie V. Loves the spotlight, has the ability to alienate people with his persona, but overall understands the game and his job.

I think he is a very good ref who loves the camera and is an overly dramatic persona. However, I do think he has actually toned it down just a little bit over the last 5 years. Not enough for my tastes, but I've come to peace with TVT and would not complain a bit if he continued to do games. That is a change for me. One man's opinion, obviously.

I think he is a very good ref who loves the camera and is an overly dramatic persona. However, I do think he has actually toned it down just a little bit over the last 5 years. Not enough for my tastes, but I've come to peace with TVT and would not complain a bit if he continued to do games. That is a change for me. One man's opinion, obviously.

If some of these games this year have taught me anything, TVT at least in the top half of refs out there, in terms of getting calls correct. I know its recency bias but I swear reffing gets worse every year. I'd even say TVT has calm down this year considerably. I didnt even realize he was reffing a game of ours until the end of the first half!

We all know that theoretically, home court should not matter to college basketball referees, but we also know that, in reality, it matters a lot. The Illini never get a call from TV Teddy at home. In fact, time and time again, we usually get the nut-crunching call late (usually with a TV flourish) to ruin the evening for Illini fans. Not a fan of Ted Valentine, no matter how many Final Fours he has worked.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
From the OP's link - "something that happened in the battle of the game".

Uhh, you're not in "the battle". My biggest gripe about refs.

I was sitting behind the basket, 3rd row when Illinois played Auburn in Atlanta, and the seats are really, really close to the floor. Ted's assignment had him in that corner of the court a big chunk of the time and I came away with almost 2 different opinions of him--

When the cameras were off--pre-game and commercials--he's a very amiable guy. He was talking to the arena staff, people close to the court, etc. and seemed like a genuinely good guy.

While the game is going on, he's performing. He's a good ref, and his numbers and reviews support it, but they guy definitely plays to the camera. But the other thing I'll concede to him, and the camera doesn't always pick this up--if he makes a call that a player doesn't like, he goes back to that player and talks about it. The handful of times I saw that fairly close, it was a constructive conversation and the players seemed to walk away understanding why they got that call.

To compare him to another b-ball personality, I'd say he's a lot like Dickie V. Loves the spotlight, has the ability to alienate people with his persona, but overall understands the game and his job.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ne-lost-his-voice-found-his-calling/86816584/

This story matches what you are saying. I have always thought Valentine was one of the best and actually like it when he calls an Illinois game.