UI Basketball's Biggest Rival(s)

Who do you consider Illinois basketball's biggest rival?

• Indiana Hoosiers

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Missouri Tigers

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • Iowa Hawkeyes

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Northwestern Wildcats

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Michigan Wolverines

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Michigan State Spartans

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ohio State Buckeyes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purdue Boilermakers

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

• Other (comment below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Traditionally, I would have said Indiana (and I still might consider them tied for first or a VERY close second), but I've grown to appreciate the uniqueness of the Braggin' Rights Game, and with MU/KU no longer a regular rivalry and the whole Cuonzo/Tilmon thing ... I think this one is about to be intense, and it gets my vote!

Deleted member 8213

D
I could see Indiana, Iowa, or Wisky being the answer for those from other parts of the state. But if you grew up anywhere south of Springfield in or close to the STL media market as I did, then I can't imagine you'd answer other than Miznoz.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The Loosiers. Because Bobby Knight and Lou Henson, Nick Anderson, Assembly Halls, and those stupid friggin' warmup pants.

Edit: IDKWTI

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
The answers you get will likely be very geographically-biased. It would be interesting to do a survey of both this question and a question of where you lived at the time you became an Illini fan. I would be willing to bet that anyone from south of Champaign and West of I-57 would pretty much universally answer Mizzou. Central Illinoisans from outside that region would likely answer Indiana (maybe a smattering of Purdue in there), and then those from Northern Illinois would probably be all over the place based on what teams their friends and family rooted for other than the Illini.

I'm a fairly recent graduate & I've always gotten the impression Mizzou will always be our #1 rival with Michigan being a close 2nd. I can't tell you how many students regularly wear "Muck Fichigan" shirts.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The truth is we have no one true rival. It fluctuates with the level of our program and the opponents. The four constants are Indiana, Northwestern, Missouri, and Iowa (to a lesser extent). Given recent recruiting events with Mizzou and the rise of Northwestern, I'd say those are our two biggest rivals at the moment.

In the poll, I chose Northwestern. I chose the Kitties because I think a rivalry is best when both sides see the other as a rival. NU has always seen us as a rival, but when they were awful and we were good, the feeling wasn't mutual. Now that their program is at an all-time high, I consider them a true rival.

Also, as sac points out, geography matters. I'm in Chicago, and the kittie NCAA run was soooooo painful (bandwagoners for dayyyyyyssss).

Deleted member 8213

D
Also, as sac points out, geography matters. I'm in Chicago, and the kittie NCAA run was soooooo painful (bandwagoners for dayyyyyyssss).

I don't know what I can believe in now that I found out TownieMatt doesn't live in Champaign :(

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I considered Iowa, but there has not been a great rivalry since early 90's? So, I went with IU, for several of the reasons listed above. Plus, the lifetime record is close.

All true. I probably hang on to my grudges too long. Don't even get me started on the '69 Mets.:mad:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Theres a difference for me between conference hatred (1. IU 2a. Iowa 2b. scUM 3. NU 4 OSU) and a rivalry. As someone else mentioned geography plays a huge part. There are clearly defined rivalries with IU, Miznoz (because of the Braggin' Rights game), and NU because Chicago.
For me the Iowa and scUM "rivalries" are more conference hatred than an acutal rivalry, but a good argument can be made for Iowa.

It's weird that Wisky never amounted to more of a rivalry over the years. I lived up there for a year and, man, do they hate them some Illinoisans.

I learned:
FIB = F'ing Illinois Bastard
FIBWOB = " " With a Boat:cool:
:illinois:

MSU for me. No one team has really dominated the other in my fandom. Plus, I know if we beat Sparty it's typically a "good" to "great" win.

Deleted member 8213

D
For me the Iowa and scUM "rivalries" are more conference hatred than an acutal rivalry, but a good argument can be made for Iowa.

Well I picked Miznoz for personal reasons. My 1st college hoops memories were rooting for that Stipo Sunvold Frazier Mizzou team, how embarrassing... my dad figured out what was happening when I was like 8 or 9 and staged a full blown intervention... started taking me to games in Champaign and everything to wash the Norm Stewart foulness off me. Still there will always be a special dark place in my heart for Michigan that goes way beyond "conference hatred" due to 1989.

Peoria area here, and I have to go with Mizzou. The 90's and the early 2000's when this game was always prime time ESPN. One or both teams ranked, always a battle. 1989, #4 vs #5 my first Braggin' Rights games with one of the best atmospheres I have ever been apart of. Any rivalry that has it's own Wiki page, has to be up there!

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
It's weird that Wisky never amounted to more of a rivalry over the years. I lived up there for a year and, man, do they hate them some Illinoisans.

I learned:
FIB = F'ing Illinois Bastard
FIBWOB = " " With a Boat:cool:
:illinois:

Still remember when I learned about these acronyms from a WI native friend of mine. I was in shock. Wisconsinites always seem so friendly! Since then I've worn my Dee Brown jersey every time I go up there to drink on a lake.

Still remember when I learned about these acronyms from a WI native friend of mine. I was in shock. Wisconsinites always seem so friendly! Since then I've worn my Dee Brown jersey every time I go up there to drink on a lake.

LOL, I have never, EVER had a bad experience with the folks up in Door County (top five favorite places on Earth, easily, and we go at least once per year) ... but I always sport my Illini gear, so I'm ready. :chief:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
LOL, I have never, EVER had a bad experience with the folks up in Door County (top five favorite places on Earth, easily, and we go at least once per year) ... but I always sport my Illini gear, so I'm ready. :chief:

Ha! That's where I lived for a year! Great folks up there, but they love Illinoisans when they vacay for their money. It's a different story at the local hangouts during the winter! I got harassed pretty hard, but never too mean spirited.

And you are right, summer and fall there are just glorious!

Went with my gut and hatred. I looked at the list and thought who is the one team I'd love to beat, one team to whom I hate losing?

A few made the top runner's up, but one stood out above the rest, Indiana

As someone said above, it has fluctuated based upon our level and that of the other schools. In the late 80's, it was probably Michigan. In the early 2000's, it was Michigan St. as we were both battling for Big Ten titles. In the mid-2000's it shifted some to Wisconsin. But one team has been there the whole time, Indiana. That's who I voted for.

I could also take Mizzou as an answer for those in the STL area. I do not see how anyone can vote for NW. Outside of the very recent history when we have been historically bad and they are at their absolute peak, they are not even in the same stratosphere.