UI Basketball's Biggest Rival(s)

Who do you consider Illinois basketball's biggest rival?

• Indiana Hoosiers

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Missouri Tigers

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • Iowa Hawkeyes

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Northwestern Wildcats

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Michigan Wolverines

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Michigan State Spartans

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ohio State Buckeyes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purdue Boilermakers

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

• Other (comment below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Theres a difference for me between conference hatred (1. IU 2a. Iowa 2b. scUM 3. NU 4 OSU) and a rivalry. As someone else mentioned geography plays a huge part. There are clearly defined rivalries with IU, Miznoz (because of the Braggin' Rights game), and NU because Chicago.
For me the Iowa and scUM "rivalries" are more conference hatred than an acutal rivalry, but a good argument can be made for Iowa.

It's weird that Wisky never amounted to more of a rivalry over the years. I lived up there for a year and, man, do they hate them some Illinoisans.

I learned:
FIB = F'ing Illinois Bastard
FIBWOB = " " With a Boat:cool:
:illinois:

Edit: FIBWAB.....:tsk:

I am (so far) the lone vote for Michigan. I was back and forth with a few different schools, but, for me, it's probably just the fact I was around ten years old during the Flying Illini days and that semi-final loss completely gutted me. I am still not completely over it and I'm almost 40. Losing to a Big Ten rival in that spot, with that team was excruciating. So that's where I put my vote until we get revenge in a similarly important game.
I was born and raised in Chicago, so didn't really grasp the hatred many Illini fans had for Missouri until I actually got to CU for college. As any good alum, I have adopted that disdain for Missouri, but still consider the Big Ten teams our bigger rivals.

I was in door county last week. Not bad up there. Had no issues with my illini gear on except for another illini fan telling me to watch out for those badgers.

sacraig

The desert
His name is Eric Gordon. It was over 10 years ago.

Ie17FZ6.gif

The Iowa stuff is pretty generational, imo. I'm about to turn 29, and I actually find most Iowa fans my age to be pretty chill. Certainly none of them take ownership for anything Pearl did 25 years ago. It's the Iowa State fans that are more aggravating from that state.

Besides, I find Fran to be a highly entertaining coach.

My friend showed me Iowa's basketball center where they have the chair Fran broke at MSU on display behind glass. By far the funniest official/sanctioned/approved/whatever thing I've ever seen done on a campus.

My first two years of undergrad were the two years of probation.

The answer to the question is Iowa. It will always be Iowa. I hope they all die in a fire.

Losing to Iowa in basketball will never be acceptable.

Or another way to put it...

There are a lot of teams we've had tough games with, cheap shots, harsh words, trash talk, Ill feelings...

But only one school made a literal effort to actually destroy our basketball program. The answer is Iowa.

And I respect that. It's legit. As somebody who's been watching Illinois basketball since shortly after learning how to walk, I've taken the time to learn the history, etc. I've chosen Pearl as my outlet for the bad feeling rather than present-day Iowa or its fans. But if something similar were to happen today I absolutely would lump the school, its fans, and its team all together. Completely understandable, from a purely pathos standpoint.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Seems as if our rivalries are based on a specific person or event. But on the other hand I don't know what they should be based on.

I have to go with Indiana because of Bobby "dimwit" Knight and the coaching matchups with Henson and later with Krueger. And Krueger would outcoach Knight almost or every time. That was the best. But as TownieMatt (sp?) pointed out, the rivalry is best when it is reciprocal. I just don't think Indiana feels the same way about us. Unrequited hate is the worst.

Runner up would be Michigan because of 1989, Bo Schembechler (sp?), and just the general arrogant attitude they seem to have. But again, I don't think they see us as their rival (because we are beneath them).

And I can understand the hatred for Iowa but that never seemed to affect me much. My ire was more directed toward the NCAA.

So back to the question. Is a person or event enough to establish a rivalry? Is that the case for the long term rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan in football or NC and Duke or Kentucky and Louisville?

Also, a little surprised that no one has mentioned Ohio State. After all, we have a long standing tradition of a traveling trophy, the Illibuck, which would seem to indicate there at least was some kind of heated rivalry.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It was clsoe for me between the Loosiers and Miznoz, but had to go with Team Clownpants. They are in the same conference and we have a longer history there. Plus they stole our Assembly Hall name.

Traditionally, I would have said Indiana (and I still might consider them tied for first or a VERY close second), but I've grown to appreciate the uniqueness of the Braggin' Rights Game, and with MU/KU no longer a regular rivalry and the whole Cuonzo/Tilmon thing ... I think this one is about to be intense, and it gets my vote!

I am in agreement, historically one would have to choose Indiana. The problem is that the last 10 years occurred with our beloved :shield:, and the only real interest as far as rivalry in the same time frame would have to be the Bragging Rights game, thus my vote.

You are correct, this will become way more intense than already, before the Illinois/Indiana rivalry heats back up like the 80's 90's.

Indiana... Bobby Knight sealed our hatred forever...and Nick Anderson's shot will never be forgotten. :thumb::illinois:.
Muck Fichigan has to be close 2nd.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
Indiana, Iowa and Michigan are all 1A. Went to UI in the late 80s so that should explain my equal hatred/rivalry for all 3.

One more in addition to FIB is FISHTAB which stands for F'n Illinois S'head towing a boat. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Wisconsin and will always and forever hate them in all sports at all times, and they will always be the team I want to beat most. The team that if we lose every other game but beat them I'll be happy. But, as I posted on the football page, I tried not to let my person bias come into play with my vote. As much as I still hate IU for the Cellvin Samscum/Gordon mess (I was in the same class, 07), and as much as I hate Iowa and NW I still couldn't vote for them.
As weird as it is I think Mizzou is the vote for me. If you'd asked me 5 years ago I wouldn't say that, and I can't explain why I voted that way now.

Now that I live in Indianapolis, I've come to realize that Indiana fans do not view the rivalry with Illinois the way we do with them. It is all about the Purdue rivalry here.

Now that I live in Indianapolis, I've come to realize that Indiana fans do not view the rivalry with Illinois the way we do with them. It is all about the Purdue rivalry here.

My sister lives in Indianapolis (went to Butler, works at Chase now), and she has had different experiences. She said that a lot of hardcore (and disproportionately male) IU fans take some strange pride in pointing out (over and over and over) that Kentucky is their biggest rival and Purdue is second and Illinois doesn't touch either ... but the more casual IU fans absolutely see UI-IU as "rivalry #3," and people in Indiana absolutely hate the Illini.

I voted Loosiers. I know most Indiana fans don't view us as their biggest rival, while NU fans probably do. Indiana-Purdue rivalry is big (the in-state rival thing and all). Do Mizzou fans in general view us a their big rival? I am class of '85. I grew up in NW 'burbs, and wasn't a big fan until I arrived on campus, so I had no preconceived notions really.

I voted Loosiers. I know most Indiana fans don't view us as their biggest rival, while NU fans probably do. Indiana-Purdue rivalry is big (the in-state rival thing and all). Do Mizzou fans in general view us a their big rival? I am class of '85. I grew up in NW 'burbs, and wasn't a big fan until I arrived on campus, so I had no preconceived notions really.

I think MU fans focused near 100% of their "year-round hate" on KU until they moved to the SEC, but it doesn't look like Kansas and Missouri are going to be playing anytime soon. I think the Braggin' Rights Game has ALWAYS been huge for both sides of the river, but I think it's primed to really move up a slot in both schools' rivalry listings.

Caveat: IMHO, we don't have a natural rival, so it shifts depending on the landscape.

I'm an outlier, but I voted Northwestern. I think they poked the bear when they claimed they were Chicago's BIG team (according to an NYT survey, it's actually more Notre Dame than anything). On top of that, we're historically a much better program that has had a down cycle, while they're the exact opposite. With our new coach, new arena, and renewed interest, I think this sets up well for some nice years of rivalry as we reassert ourselves.