UI Basketball's Biggest Rival(s)

Who do you consider Illinois basketball's biggest rival?

• Indiana Hoosiers

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Missouri Tigers

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • Iowa Hawkeyes

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Northwestern Wildcats

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Michigan Wolverines

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Michigan State Spartans

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ohio State Buckeyes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purdue Boilermakers

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

• Other (comment below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 8213

D
IU might put Purdon't first, maybe. MSU 2nd? UI wouldn't be worse than 3rd, I'd think. Hopefully with BU we can get back to national relevance and be a better rival.

I think they'd say PU, UK, MSU .

I think they'd say PU, UK, MSU .

LOL, I think we all know the answer:

If it were a poll that they knew Illini fans might see (like on a national board), we wouldn't get any votes. If it were a poll done of what they all really thought, I would think it'd be 1) UK, 2) PU, 3) UI with a clear dropoff after 3. A huge part of Indiana fans' completely forced and hilarious Napoleon complex is being absolutely adamant that Illinois is NOT a rival. I guess mingling with teams that have no National Championships (minus, ya know, Purdue, LOL) is just so below them*.

* (Who they think they are/want to be)

HoosierFan

Fishers, IN
As and Indiana fan I can assure you our biggest rival is Kentucky. Thankfully we now have a coach who will stand up to a challenge (and get UK back on the schedule). I do, however, consider Illinois a great rival of ours. We have had many great games throughout the years.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
As and Indiana fan I can assure you our biggest rival is Kentucky. Thankfully we now have a coach who will stand up to a challenge (and get UK back on the schedule). I do, however, consider Illinois a great rival of ours. We have had many great games throughout the years.

Thanks for chiming in.

jmilt7

Waukegan

But does Kentucky feel the same way? I would venture to some extent but wouldn't their biggest rival be Louisville? This is kind of the question that has been posed in this thread. Does the rivalry have to be mutual? I don't know.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
But does Kentucky feel the same way? I would venture to some extent but wouldn't their biggest rival be Louisville? This is kind of the question that has been posed in this thread. Does the rivalry have to be mutual? I don't know.

Kentucky's fans definitely see IU as a rival. Louisville as well, but Ky fans HATE IU. It's the only thing about Ky fans I like.