University of Illinois consolidates to single logo

Really hate the shield, felt like it ha.d no legacy and forced upon us. Like the block I and I with ILLINOIS written through it.

Really hate the shield, felt like it ha.d no legacy and forced upon us. Like the block I and I with ILLINOIS written through it.

Maybe I'm being too harsh and need to try to understand others' POVs. How do you not the I withILLINOIS through it as one of the ugliest and most small-timey logos ever? To me, it just screams that we didn't really care about how our non-Chief logo looked. The new one at least looks stylish, that old one is just the epitome of us ... well, not being a "cool" athletic school.

I kind of liked the academic logo. Like these at peers:

image29a.jpg

university-of-iowa-logo.png

uva.jpg

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Don't be salty at those of us that see the shield as the type of logo you would find through a knock-off brand that doesn't want to pay for licensing rights but gets their apparel sold widely through Wal-Mart... :D

#NotTeamShield

Oh, yessssss.

I think the shield is, well, what it is. Something the university paid a lot of money for, and looks like it. It's forced and contrived, and has to be explained. If you were at a locale where a lot of people wearing college logowear are gathered, you'll recognize Alabama's A, Tennessee's T, North Carolina's NC... No one is going to know what the heck that shield is. The big orange I. Yeah, that's Illinois.

Further, on the shield, it reduces the size of the I, to achieve what? The colors even work against it. The orange stripes come out looking red, because we're used to seeing red stripes with blue. So who is this red, white and blue logo anyway?

:chief: and if not :chief:, then :illinois:.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
Literally just write fighting Illini somewhere on our jerseys. Is that so hard to ask for ?

I actually don't mind the shield logo, per say, but I do think it distracts from the overall branding of the athletics program. If you look at college sports in general, a vast majority are unified into a single logo and, in some cases, a variation of that logo (e.g. a mascot image incorporated into it sometimes, other times not). If you're a top tier program with existing brand recognition (e.g. Alabama, ND, Michigan etc.) you can experiment more, but we're nowhere close to being in a position where we can reasonably sustain two largely separate logos for the same athletic program and still be able to build an identity around both.

I've lost count of how many family/friends I've spoken to that have asked me what the shield logo was and why it exists. It just confuses the overall brand of the program. I can see having a separate one outside the athletic program for practicality purposes (as mentioned above re: the column), but I don't see any reason to have more than within the athletic program.

I disagree with two logos being confusing. There were two logos with the Block I and the Chief and it wasn't a problem because they were both known. The problem is that the shield isn't used anywhere except on some Nike shirts and hats. They need to put a shield logo on the football field at the 25s or in the endzone next to the word Illinois or something so it can be seen outside of Nike apparel

:shield::shield:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I don't mind the shield, but a shield is more like a defensive tool, whereas a Fighting Illini charges into the arena and rips the heart out of Hoosiers and Hawkeyes then holds it up while it's still beating and shows it to them before they crumble to the floor.:illinois:

Did I take it too far?:huh:

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC
I'm seriously going to miss the academic logo. I've always thought it was the best looking I in our arsenal. As bigtiny shows a few posts up, many schools that take athletics seriously still have academic logos.

Ditching the academic I is kind of missing the point; the new :illinois: isn't being used regularly by networks and recruits because we've been terrible at both football and basketball since well before its inception. It's hard to make a logo iconic when it's only being seen on BTN spillover channels and never in March Madness. An academic logo that 99% of people off campus will never see isn't the issue.

As a protest, I'm going to continue to drink coffee every morning out of my orange alumni coffee mug with the academic I. :(

Definitely a big fan of the shield

:shield:

Because of how fearsome the native Illinois people were when armed with their shields?

Yeah, that was snarky, but seriously, what's the appeal? Why not a giant, flame-throwing robot, with laser eyes?

Because of how fearsome the native Illinois people were when armed with their shields?

Yeah, that was snarky, but seriously, what's the appeal? Why not a giant, flame-throwing robot, with laser eyes?

I like this.
The engineering department should start working on the mascot before first tipoff this season.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I don't mind the shield, but a shield is more like a defensive tool, whereas a Fighting Illini charges into the arena and rips the heart out of Hoosiers and Hawkeyes then holds it up while it's still beating and shows it to them before they crumble to the floor.:illinois:

No, not at all. In fact, not far enough. You didn't include Ohio State, Michigan and Mizzou.

But shield? I don't think so. Look how good the :illinois: looks here:
giphy.gif

Just ignore that fuzzy guy in the background.

Oh, yessssss.

I think the shield is, well, what it is. Something the university paid a lot of money for, and looks like it. It's forced and contrived, and has to be explained. If you were at a locale where a lot of people wearing college logowear are gathered, you'll recognize Alabama's A, Tennessee's T, North Carolina's NC... No one is going to know what the heck that shield is. The big orange I. Yeah, that's Illinois.

Further, on the shield, it reduces the size of the I, to achieve what? The colors even work against it. The orange stripes come out looking red, because we're used to seeing red stripes with blue. So who is this red, white and blue logo anyway?

:chief: and if not :chief:, then :illinois:.

Someone on here once opined that the mark of a good logo is the ability for the average fan to recognize it in neutral colors. That is probably true of all the logos you mentioned, but ours, not so much. I like the shield, it's unique and took at least a tiny bit of imagination to come up with.

:shield:

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Just right. :thumb: :illinois: :chief:

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

Not to relitigate the Shield Wars of 2014, but this whole notion of "the Shield was pulled out of thin air" is only true in the most literal sense (in that it is, in fact, only three years old). It's based on some very legitimate elements of Illinois-specific history (many of which were things people openly wished would get more visibility in the run-up to the rebrand announcement).

Setting aside the "superhero" stuff, which is marketing jazz-hands at its absolute lamest, the rest of this sits just fine with me:

A lot of the updated identity is based on the history of Fighting Illini, the soldiers of World War I and how the teams fought on the field back in the 1920s. The columns of Memorial Stadium are truly unique in college football. Each one is dedicated to Illinois veterans that died in WWI. When Nike learned the history behind the columns, combined with how much of a force Red Grange was to college football in the early 20th century, they came up with the Victory Badge. It incorporates a military style theme (like the Badge of Honor), the columns, Grange's original jersey design in the 1920s and the look of a modern superhero.

We once had one of the trendiest, coolest logo's for any team nationally, it was retired for reasons that don't need to be beaten to death any longer. It is not coming back, but we have got to come up with something better than simply an "I" right?

I am not interested in a mascot, but an engaging, marketable logo that would go along way to helping the university.

image29a.jpg

university-of-iowa-logo.png

uva.jpg

100% agree. Especially since our academics is so much better than our athletics at the moment.

Also, while we're on this topic...Dan, what are the odds of getting the colors on the website updated to match the orange coloring now being used?

Meh... all these are totally outdated and contrary to modern logo design. Old logos with implicit and explicit shadows, ionic columns, domes, etc. will eventually be replaced. Modern logo design favors very simple, flat designs that are much easier and clear in multiple format implementations, including various web, mobile, etc.

peace davids

Colorado
100% agree. Especially since our academics is so much better than our athletics at the moment.

Also, while we're on this topic...Dan, what are the odds of getting the colors on the website updated to match the orange coloring now being used?

Anyone notice that although the blue is the same for both athletics and academics, the academic branding has chosen a different orange?

Athletics = #e04e39
Academics = #E84A27

I'm not surprised, the new Nike athletic orange was significantly different than I have ever known us to use.

Liked the academic I. Bummed to see it go.
Don't like the shield. Let it go.
Block I is good. Make it the only.
Loved the Chief. Understand why we don't have the Chief. Still kind of melancholy about it, though.