University of Illinois President Michael Hogan resigns

Mike Thomas and Pres. Hogan were not buddies. Disagreed on quite a bit.

Pres. Hogan was very good friends with a couple of the BOT. That made it very difficult to deal with the Prof. and employee complaints. BOT, were happy with Pres. Hogan for the most part.

AD Thomas will not be a bit unhappy with Hogans departure.

No links, just pretty solid info.

Easter is a very good guy. I have no doubt that the UI comes first and foremost with him. If he wants it, the permanent position should be his, but I doubt he ever gets it. Too many politics involved for that.
Easter has the respect of all stakeholder groups at the U of I. Many on the BOT wanted him to throw his hat in the ring during the hiring process after Joe White stepped down but at the time he had retirement plans.

It reads like it is his already though..
Personally I hope so, He is an Illini all the way. I just wonder what president-designate actually means? Sounds like political speak to me. Anyone here know what that means for sure?

St. Joseph, IL
Soooo how much money did we waste on a search firm that got us a president who lasted all of less than two years? It was in the hundreds of thousands if I recall correctly. Perhaps we should avoid that search firm this time around...
From what I understand it is the same search firm that we currently have hired for the basketball coach hire. In light of what happened with Shaka and now Hogan I have to ask what exactly are these search firms responsible for? I would have to say that the last two days have not exactly been a ringing endorsement for this search firm.

From what I understand it is the same search firm that we currently have hired for the basketball coach hire. In light of what happened with Shaka and now Hogan I have to ask what exactly are these search firms responsible for? I would have to say that the last two days have not exactly been a ringing endorsement for this search firm.
There is usually a clause in these contracts that if the person hired leaves within a specified period of time the fees are refunded. No idea if that is the case here but it would be typical of the industry.

If anyone will step up from within it will be Phyllis Wise. She was interim president at the University of Washington and I thought did a very good job.
Perhaps the plan is to groom her for the post. If Easter stays as President a while, passing the torch to Wise with a few years under her belt as Chancellor will provide some much needed continuity for the university. I think by all accounts she has made a very favorable impression on campus.

The only negative I can think of on Wise is that I get the impression she wonders how players dribble a football. Easter I think is a sports fan and I see him and Thomas working well together.

Chicago, IL
I think we should be asking for a volume discount.

Chicago, IL
Will Trustees Oliver and Montgomery demand we hire a minority candidate for the new UI President?

Just North of the Southern border!
The next Prez "hire" will be extremely important. For education and sports.

Chicago, IL
I've got no information on whether Shaka considered the instability or not when he said no. I made the comment more as a discussion point rather than one based on specific knowledge. As mentioned before, there have been rumblings that prospective candidates have been concerned about the instability. From personal experience, I know I used to look at a company's leadership before deciding whether to take a job there.

Seattle area
You know Tom Izzo is gonna blame Mike Thomas and the fanbase on this one too.
And rightly so! Hogan intimated to his lieutenants that MT's antics and the Smart turn-down, for him, were the final straw. Sources close to the ousted president, requesting anonymity, report that the BOT would have held the line with Hogan were it not for MT's lack of open and ebullient support for Bruce Weber near the end of the season and his subsequent utter unprofessionalism in the recruitment of Shaka Smart.

This should come as no surprise, since King Izzo made it clear to the world that MT was to blame for the team's loss of 10 of its final 12, for shattering its fragile ego, and for failing to offer disingenuous support for the man in charge.

Florida
He probably resigned because Mike Thomas was gonna fire him, saying that we're here to win championships at being the best school in the country ;)

Seattle area
The next Prez "hire" will be extremely important. For education and sports.
It appears the BOT is prepared to move slowly, and perhaps to let things settle for an indefinite period under Dr. Easter. He is not the interim president, he is the president-designate, and will resume the position fully on July 1. Sounds to me like he IS the president and no hiring activity is contemplated, at least not at this time. Much of this is due to the relentless turbulence under Hogan. I'm sure everyone is ready for a period of relative calm and unity. Easter offers that.

Seattle area
From the UIUC newsroom-
Check out those choppers on Kennedy. No wonder Hogan was chewed up and spit out. :eek: If that's a current picture, he's a relatively young guy. Anybody know Kennedy's age?

Will Trustees Oliver and Montgomery demand we hire a minority candidate for the new UI President?
This post is why the subject was brought up by them. There were NO demands just a request that there be more scrutiny of diverse candidates. Many don't realize the reputation that the university has with past African-American athletes, of which I am one.

Seattle area
Mike Thomas and Pres. Hogan were not buddies. Disagreed on quite a bit.

Pres. Hogan was very good friends with a couple of the BOT. That made it very difficult to deal with the Prof. and employee complaints. BOT, were happy with Pres. Hogan for the most part.

AD Thomas will not be a bit unhappy with Hogans departure.

No links, just pretty solid info.
If true, these are reassuring statements. Who hired MT? He answers to Chancellor Wise. Who preceded whom? They both are recent hires.

It's a turbulent, dynamic situation, and that could be the biggest deterrent. If I'm a HC elsewhere and in a solid position, as most/all of our targets are, I might be disinclined to step into the middle of a pseudo-rebuilding situation at an institution in transition of leadership at many critical levels.

Maybe as long as MT is on firm footing with the BOT and Wise, he's fine and it won't significantly adversely impact the search. I'm far from sanguine about that.

Seattle area
Quick, somebody call Guinness (call both of them, for crying out loud . . .)

This post is why the subject was brought up by them. There were NO demands just a request that there be more scrutiny of diverse candidates. Many don't realize the reputation that the university has with past African-American athletes, of which I am one.
KevinC, could you please elaborate? I would like to have a better understanding of your position and what you feel the UI's reputation is, etc.

Tyngsborough, MA
KevinC, could you please elaborate? I would like to have a better understanding of your position and what you feel the UI's reputation is, etc.
Me too. Thanks.