University of Illinois President Michael Hogan resigns

The camera never lies
Champaign
The U of I is starting to remind me of the movie "The Godfather", someone's always getting whacked!

KevinC, could you please elaborate? I would like to have a better understanding of your position and what you feel the UI's reputation is, etc.
I attended the U of I in the early to mid 70's and have been on campus many, many times since. And yes, I received my degree from there. Throughout this time, it has been felt by many that only lip service has been paid to hiring an African-American coach. While I, and many others are very happy with the attempt by the current AD to remedy the situation, this has gone on for such a long time that many of us feel that there has to be a strong effort made in viewing candidates (Tony Yates, Jimmy Collins, etc...). There has been a tremendous amount of bad feelings pushed at us by the community (both the UI and surrounding) from names, jests, comments, and otherwise. These types of things get out to prospective candidates for athletic positions and to incoming recruited student-athletes. I am sure that there will be disagreement but, there is a need to recognize that these things do exist. I have no problem with the hiring of a non-African/American coach. I simply desire, after all of this time, that true consideration be given to all candidates without the joking that comes about from many that have no idea as to what the past has represented.

Thank you for shedding more light on the subject for me. Your desire seems very reasonable to me.

Thanks Sybok. The consideration is appreciated.

"The Good Land", WI
The turmoil at Illinois has been practically non-stop for the last five years. This is simply another link in the chain of clusterf***s that is the University of Illinois.

Without being asked, I'm now going to summarize the lowlights of our dear Alma Mater roughly since I entered college (2007):

-Forced retirement of Chief Illiniwek
-"I" or "Clout List" scandal----President White, Chancellor Herman, and most of BoT steps down
-State of Illinois falls behind on payments to University by as much as $500,000,000 at certain points. Furlough days, hiring freezes, and Exodus by faculty to better jobs ensues
-President Hogan resigns

And in Illinois Sports specifically:

-IDKWTI flip flops on us
-Jamar and Carlwell get drunk and drive
-Richmond is a headcase, ends up in jail
-Illinois AD resigns (finally)
-Multiple football players involved in stabbings over the last few years
-New AD fires three coaches within three months
-New AD DOES NOT hire a minority football coach. Illinois is racist. Blah, blah, blah
-transfers galore

No wonder SS decided not to come here. It's not the recruiting of Chicago that would have scared me. It's the circus of a University itself that probably kept him away.

Oregon
Maybe Shaka was just waiting for this job to open up? Shaka for President of the UofI!

Round Lake, Illinois
I attended the U of I in the early to mid 70's and have been on campus many, many times since. And yes, I received my degree from there. Throughout this time, it has been felt by many that only lip service has been paid to hiring an African-American coach. While I, and many others are very happy with the attempt by the current AD to remedy the situation, this has gone on for such a long time that many of us feel that there has to be a strong effort made in viewing candidates (Tony Yates, Jimmy Collins, etc...). There has been a tremendous amount of bad feelings pushed at us by the community (both the UI and surrounding) from names, jests, comments, and otherwise. These types of things get out to prospective candidates for athletic positions and to incoming recruited student-athletes. I am sure that there will be disagreement but, there is a need to recognize that these things do exist. I have no problem with the hiring of a non-African/American coach. I simply desire, after all of this time, that true consideration be given to all candidates without the joking that comes about from many that have no idea as to what the past has represented.
Makes sense.

It's gonna happen (our hiring an AA coach), and I think sooner rather than later, but I do not think it is going to be easy on him. He will have the pressure to succeed that any coach would have, plus the pressure relative to the 'historic' nature of his appointment - both from those who have yearned for an AA coach and from the ignorant doubters. Thankfully, I believe the latter are greatly in the minority now (optimistic? naive? meh).

The job has pressure enough without the added factors, but I am confident the right hire is out there that will satisfy all factions (except obviously
the NU alum sportswriters) and return the Illini to the top again. I will support whomever it is in doing so.

As long as it is not Chrissy. :)

Why do I get the feeling that is only the last straw for the inevitable downfall of Illini sports? Dark days indeed...
I think it could be very bright days ahead as I was never enthusiastic about having a president from UConn, not the cleanest reputation in sports and not a stellar academic institution. I was worried when we hired a UConn president at a time when Illinois sports were in decline, worried that hiring a UConn president might signal some attitudinal shift about "winning at all costs."

Kevin C: I think you are absolotely correct and stated it well. I think there are two unfortunate aspects to these recent events, however. One is that Coach Law seems to be completely overlooked as an Illinois "top coach" when these matters are discussed and I think, out of respect to her and to accuracy, she should be mentioned. Second, I think that the BOT members who - rightly - made a strong point about this when the football coach was hired should not have done so in the way they did. Reportedly, they made that public statement AFTER Beckman was hired and they made it as a PUBLIC statement. That was unfair to Beckman and to everybody else! If they had told Thomas and the U of I administration what they expected privately and beforehand - in keeping with appropriate personnel behavior - then the candidates for basketball coach would have been named but without that additional, unnecessary (and incorrect) "stigma". Doing that publicly, as they did, may have made the two BOT members look noble and righteous, but it created an unnecessary "issue" for the candidates to face. Making the BOT expectations clear to Thomas would have accomplished their goals without giving the "nay sayers", for wont of a more acceptable term, unwarranted opportunities to "nay say".

My thanks to all of those giving serious intellectual support to my thoughts. My initial commentary was directed to the inaccurate comment about what the trustees really said. I am not judging the appropriateness of the trustees' timing but, I do have a problem with misrepresenting what was truly said by them.

P.s. No disrespect to Coach Law. I did not include her because the trustees' comments were directed to the sports of men's basketball and football.

Pacifica, CA
And rightly so! Hogan intimated to his lieutenants that MT's antics and the Smart turn-down, for him, were the final straw. Sources close to the ousted president, requesting anonymity, report that the BOT would have held the line with Hogan were it not for MT's lack of open and ebullient support for Bruce Weber near the end of the season and his subsequent utter unprofessionalism in the recruitment of Shaka Smart.

This should come as no surprise, since King Izzo made it clear to the world that MT was to blame for the team's loss of 10 of its final 12, for shattering its fragile ego, and for failing to offer disingenuous support for the man in charge.
I'll say one thing OF... When you get an agenda, you don't let go of it....

Champaign
If anyone will step up from within it will be Phyllis Wise. She was interim president at the University of Washington and I thought did a very good job.
I think given the tension between the two, there was no way they could have spun replacing Hogan with Wise as anything other than admitting they made a huge mistake in backing him to begin with.

I would also take it mostly at face value that they thought this was a time to have a leader who really understood the system of UI. Changing any large organization is difficult. It is probably impossible for those changes to be improvements without getting buy-in from many levels (although a person at the top can certainly damage an organization alone). Easter proved in his time as interim Chancellor that he could lead the charge on major changes without alienating lots of people. Sounds like what we can continue to use.

Pacifica, CA
The turmoil at Illinois has been practically non-stop for the last five years. This is simply another link in the chain of clusterf***s that is the University of Illinois.

Without being asked, I'm now going to summarize the lowlights of our dear Alma Mater roughly since I entered college (2007):

-Forced retirement of Chief Illiniwek
-"I" or "Clout List" scandal----President White, Chancellor Herman, and most of BoT steps down
-State of Illinois falls behind on payments to University by as much as $500,000,000 at certain points. Furlough days, hiring freezes, and Exodus by faculty to better jobs ensues
-President Hogan resigns

And in Illinois Sports specifically:

-IDKWTI flip flops on us
-Jamar and Carlwell get drunk and drive
-Richmond is a headcase, ends up in jail
-Illinois AD resigns (finally)
-Multiple football players involved in stabbings over the last few years
-New AD fires three coaches within three months
-New AD DOES NOT hire a minority football coach. Illinois is racist. Blah, blah, blah
-transfers galore

No wonder SS decided not to come here. It's not the recruiting of Chicago that would have scared me. It's the circus of a University itself that probably kept him away.
If you reach farther back, you'll find even more problems.... this is just the tip of the iceberg....

Last edited:
Herndon, VA
Maybe Shaka was just waiting for this job to open up? Shaka for President of the UofI!

Illini_1979: Dude, you stole my thunder!! Turn the Shaka watch back on Mr. MT!!! Dual hat him as both Prez and HC!!!

New York, NY
This post is why the subject was brought up by them. There were NO demands just a request that there be more scrutiny of diverse candidates. Many don't realize the reputation that the university has with past African-American athletes, of which I am one.
You mean there were no public demands.

Oregon
Illini_1979: Dude, you stole my thunder!! Turn the Shaka watch back on Mr. MT!!! Dual hat him as both Prez and HC!!!
I like the dual hat idea...you are thinking bigger than I was. I only had him for Prez. Good out of the box thinking.

Admin
According to UI documents, Mike Hogan will take a 1 yr sabbatical after he resigns on July 1st w/ a $285,100 salary.

On July 1, 2013, Hogan will return to the UI as a tenured history faculty member on the campus of his choosing...salary to be determined.

As a part of his resignation agreement, Hogan will forfeit more than $800,000 as a part of a severance package and deferred compensation.

Meanwhile, Bob Easter will make $250,000 as President-designate between now and July 1st.

Once Easter steps in as President, he will make $450,000 per year. He will work under a two year contract.

http://twitter.com/wdwswhmsnews

Forgottonia
Bob Easter is a good man and has likely done more good for the University the past few years than anyone.

Northbrook
It is possible...turmoil at the top would turn me off to certain jobs.
Possible, but unlikely. If there was uncertainty about the AD position (which we had with RG in his last years), that would be be a concern in my mind were I a candidate.

I shoulda listened to my Mom and been a college president!
Being a college president requires a PHD, a long tenure at universities, and much admin experience....and compared to what you would make in other disciplines (head of a company for example) your salary is pretty low. A person running a company of IL's size would be making well over a mill, with littel more than an MBA, or even possbily a BA/BS.