Unofficial 2012 - University of Illinois - March 2nd-3rd

Former Krush Cow
South Bend, IN
I got invited to the Facebook event in like November or October from someone that doesn't go to U of I haha.

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
Hopefully someone will post the link to the campus police scanner again. I listened to it all day at work last year (or maybe the year before?) and the crazy calls kept me extremely entertained.

The paign born and raised
I've lived here my whole life and celebrated this once. The real St Patricks day is more appealing to me, maybe cause i'm not a douchey frat boy or in college anymore. All i know is the streets will be filled with drunk jackasses, some driving and some not.

I've lived here my whole life and celebrated this once. The real St Patricks day is more appealing to me, maybe cause i'm not a douchey frat boy or in college anymore. All i know is the streets will be filled with drunk jackasses, some driving and some not.
Your a Debbie downer aren't u?!?!

'03 IMPE All Star
Brooklyn, NY
Woo hoo! I'm a douchey frat boy wandering the streets!
I loved fakey St. Pats. It was one of my favorite days of the year, and also signaled the impending Spring Break.

Doesn't sound like Josh and I would have been friends.:rolleyes:

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
U of I prof to governor: End Champaign’s ‘orgiastic defilement of Saint Patrick’

A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign law professor is asking Gov. Pat Quinn to stop the area’s “unofficial” St. Patrick’s Day celebration, calling the annual drunkfest an “orgiastic defilement of Saint Patrick.”

Prof. Francis Boyle, who teaches international human rights law and has nominated former Gov. George Ryan for multiple Nobel Peace Prizes, wants Quinn to invoke emergency powers to suspend all Champaign liquor licenses on March 2, this year’s date for the party known simply as “Unofficial.”
:doh:

Former Krush Cow
South Bend, IN
My Professor in Geology 100 decided it would be a good idea to give us a walking fieldtrip for each discussion. Fine for the Thursday discussions, but my class will be walking around campus looking at rocks at noon in the middle of Unofficial. It is going to be hilarious.

Police say focus during 'Unofficial' will be on pedestrians, parties

Police say they have public safety on the top of their minds as they prepare for this Friday's inevitable Unofficial St. Patrick's Day celebration.

And on Tuesday, they wanted to deliver a clear message to Campustown residents who plan on hosting parties.

"Keep it small, keep it legal and allow only invited guests in," said Champaign police Lt. Brad Yohnka.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/po...s-during-unofficial-will-be-pedestrians-parti

'03 IMPE All Star
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like they are being cool about it at least.

When I was at UI it wasn't really acknowledged, outside of cops coming into every bar a couple of times.

Is it just me or are most of the "craziest" people not even attending U of I? Whenever somebodys real hung over or somethin they seem to not be a student. Just an observation.

I think it's dumb that the bars are 21 and up only. It encourages more house and apartment parties.

In a bar the chaos is more controlled and the drinking is held in a confined area.

In an apartment or house party you can be doing beer bongs or shots every 10 minutes and get drunk much more quickly than in a bar where you have to wait to be served drinks. If they regulated it so that each person could only be served one drink at a time in the bars it would really limit how much someone could drink quickly.

Also it was pretty stupid to release that map. It doesn't even include senior land (west of first street). If students are smart enough they'll figure out that if they want to do crazy crap and have a good chance of getting away with it, go to some part that's west of first street and the cops won't be nearly as common.

Additionally, since police are going to be in the bars anyways, they might as well make some money and hand out drinking tickets, right? (this won't happen with the bars being 21 and up, but the cops still come in to check that the bars are following protocol)

'03 IMPE All Star
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's dumb that the bars are 21 and up only. It encourages more house and apartment parties.
Agreed. I worked at a pretty crazy bar (Kams, don't judge), but it was nothing compared to some of the parties. Anywhere with kegs (i.e., non greek) is likely to be crazier than a bar on fakey St. Pats.

I believe this is why the bar hours were extended back in 2003/2004. Is that still the case?