Updating the Illini Union

Deleted member 16340

D
It seems like everything is totally different since I left in 1981. My fraterity house has been torn down and rebuilt, the Assembly Hall and MS have been remodeled, the Union, new entire campus areas...It seems like adifferent place.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It seems like everything is totally different since I left in 1981. My fraterity house has been torn down and rebuilt, the Assembly Hall and MS have been remodeled, the Union, new entire campus areas...It seems like adifferent place.
Not to mention Green Street and downtown Champaign. Those have changed even since I left C-U in 2011.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

I posted this article to Facebook last week. Needless to say the outrage was absolute. I had people I hadn't talked to in years reacting with an angry face. Nobody wants this. You don't modernize historical buildings, and you certainly don't add a modern 3rd floor made of glass....

It will look exactly like Soldier Field.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I posted this article to Facebook last week. Needless to say the outrage was absolute. I had people I hadn't talked to in years reacting with an angry face. Nobody wants this. You don't modernize historical buildings, and you certainly don't add a modern 3rd floor made of glass....

It will look exactly like Soldier Field.

This is how I feel as well. Amenities and features can be added without detracting from the amazing architecture and ambiance of the place.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
They should do to the Union something similar as they did to Lincoln Hall. Respect the character and history of the place while modernizing the functionality and if more space needs to be added I'm okay with going underground.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
You expect things to change. From now back to when I graduated, is the same as from when I graduated back to the 1920s. But this would be horrendous. If you need more "student space", that could be accommodated elsewhere. More eliminate the "hotel facilities."

If we could save Harker Hall, why not the Ilini Union?