USF 25, Illinois 19 POSTGAME

JJE

Bethalto, IL
USF absolutely shot themselves in the foot left and right all stinkin game. That was a tough one to lose. While I’m proud that they kept it close, that almost made it worse when they lost. Keep improving guys.

We played them much closer than everyone expected. There are good moments, and wins, ahead this season.

Wow, Freshman playing across the board, no Dudek, no Bush, and people are going to complain about that?! That team we just allowed 25 points to averaged 44 ppg prior to today. 3 Star true Freshman QB vs their former 5 star (Alabama) QB and we had a drive to win? So it feels worse because of how it ended, when our clearly undermanned team was exhausted.

Anyone who isn't beyond excited by this game really need to go become Alabama fans because if you're going to watch Illinois football (clearly a basketball school) and not be thrilled with how far we've come I don't know what to tell you.

The outcome is disappointing, and clearly have plenty to work on, but there's a lot to be happy about too. Pretty much everyone thought this was a decently easy USF win. At least we beat the spread.

Epstein had a great game. And McLaughlin was great. But other than that, I didn't really see many bright spots on offense. The defensive line just isn't good. Felt like South Florida could run for 3-4 yards every time if they wanted to. I don't blame the secondary for giving up 411 yards. When you get no pressure, it's easy for the QB to pick you apart especially with walk-on caliber players in the secondary

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I guess the question is do you just go with Rivers now and get his freshman season out of the way when you aren't going to win anything anyway in 2018 or go back to Bush.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
I went out on a limb and said we'd hold USF to less than the 680 yds we gave up last year. Held them to 626 yds. Improving? The guys aren't quitting. They deserve better, but sometimes you need to make your own fortunes.

Epstein had a great game. And McLaughlin was great. But other than that, I didn't really see many bright spots on offense. The defensive line just isn't good. Felt like South Florida could run for 3-4 yards every time if they wanted to. I don't blame the secondary for giving up 411 yards. When you get no pressure, it's easy for the QB to pick you apart especially with walk-on caliber players in the secondary

O-line looked better than I expected (last drive notwithstanding).

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Given where we've been the past few years, with a backup QB and injuries/suspensions, this is way better than I expected. It definitely hurts given how close we were to pulling it out, but I was expecting to lose by 20+. The team is young, they are getting better (especially the defensive front), and I definitely see some more wins this year. We have to at least be on the same level as Purdue, Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland...

If it makes you guys feel better almost everyone else in our division sucks too....

Nebraska, Rutgers, and Purdue have all had horrible losses to start the season. It'll be a fireable offense if the team doesn't win at least 1 Big 10 game this year.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Given where we've been the past few years, with a backup QB and injuries/suspensions, this is way better than I expected. It definitely hurts given how close we were to pulling it out, but I was expecting to lose by 20+. The team is young, they are getting better (especially the defensive front), and I definitely see some more wins this year. We have to at least be on the same level as Purdue, Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland...
The defensive front? Did you watch the game? They made a few plays here and there but were road-graded most of the game. Pass rush was non existent in the second half.

Tough, tough loss in a game we deserved to win. SF played awful but we also had so many key injuries and suspensions. Overall, really encouraging performance but hate seeing it not rewarded with a win.

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Well, I missed the last hour, so the last thing I knew about was a missed FG by South Florida.
Oh well.
But... we covered the spread. Did anyone predict that? I didn't.

WE WILL WIN (just not today / wasn't meant to be i guess) . Props to all the Illini fans that came out and big ups to Lovie & the team for playing a very close game that came down to the final play . We were big time underdogs in this game .

We'll probably get KILLED by Pedo State but I think we'll be competitive in our other games & potentially play for a bowl game. GO ILLINI!

We had 380 yards on O with a true frosh backup QB, 3 top receivers out and no depth in the O-Line. Not sure what you expected

If I'm on that Illini team, I'm coming out white-hot angry on Friday, rankings be damned.

If I'm a returning suspended player, I'm coming out extra white-hot angry.

the national

the Front Range
It’s sooo hard to be patient when the win was sooo close. Can’t we just get stuff together and actually win a game we aren’t supposed to?? We are young, we did start a true freshman, we did beat the spread, I didn’t turn off the game until the end, all things true. It’s just hard to be patient. This rebuild has been painful, and shows just how low we were. It’s a long way to the top.

I guess the question is do you just go with Rivers now and get his freshman season out of the way when you aren't going to win anything anyway in 2018 or go back to Bush.

A bowl game is clearly up for grabs after today’s results. You go with the best QB, which I do think is AJ Bush. But I’m excited for MJ Rivers. This year we just don’t have the receivers and O-line to let him sit in the pocket and be the gunslinger that he is. O-line looks like it’s close. Injuries obviously hurt the receivers. Next year both could be strengths.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Better performance than I was expecting, so I can't be too mad. But jeez, when are we going to start winning games? Up 12 points going into the 4th quarter -- these are games we need to start winning ASAP.

SKane

Tennessee
It was a very disappointing finale but ILL should win a couple more games this year.