USF 47, Illinois 23 POSTGAME

Deleted member 29907

D
Those 7 straight passes were at 6-2. I don't care about the last quarter and a half, sure, pass when you're down 24. But before that we blew our chance to compete in this game by deciding not to run with a good running QB and RB, but instead to pass with a bad passing QB.

agree - i don't get it - we ran a Jeff George offense with an option quarterback. Play calling was not good - our only hope when the line could not keep them out was to break through a hole. Puzzling.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I'll be watching the game from video tape tonight. If what you guys are saying about JGJr replacing Crouch, well, they already replaced last year's starting running back. Why stop there. As for his stronger arm, I would be very disappointed if JGJr did not have a stronger arm this year. Let the total replacements begin!!

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
I'll be watching the game from video tape tonight. If what you guys are saying about JGJr replacing Crouch, well, they already replaced last year's starting running back. Why stop there. As for his stronger arm, I would be very disappointed if JGJr did not have a stronger arm this year. Let the total replacements begin!!

I'm not sure how strong his arm is but he seems to make far better reads and more timely throws than crouch. I see them both playing all year depending on what we need in a particular game.

Dorsey, Dudek, Epstein and Smalling all had flashes and we had some defensive flashes as well.

Turner needs to stop running backwards. Too many drops. Line play on both sides needs to get better. The game was a little too fast for many last night. All that said, we will get better and eventually we will win.

Our special teams play was pretty good. Agree about the puzzling play calling. How the coaches and team handle the Nebraska game should tell us a lot.

Deleted member 11159

D
I don't blame the kids one bit. The offensive playcalling, on the other hand, was... well, offensive. Very poor.

We will be very close to bowling this year. Next year, I really believe we spend a solid chunk of the season in the latter-part of the top 25 polls...whatever that means. We have something going here in Champland.

I feel surprisingly calm and at ease after seeing some of the teams Tweets and Coach Lovie's post game comments.

Hopefully it's not false hope from Jeff George Jr offensive spark. I'm hoping that was legit earned yards and touchdowns and not just given to us by South Florida's defense letting up.

Either way I have faith and hope they'll right the ship and we'll have a better showing against Nebraska.

The good news is that with this three weeks of experience, we can win all the freshman games going forward. ��

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
If you are Lovie........You have to have a LONG talk with his OC about either changing the offensive play calling to almost all read option pass with Crouch or all shotgun with George.

We have to find an identity on offense.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
I'm not completely sure I agree with all the criticism of the play calling. It is true that we were struggling mightily on offense and part of that is on the OC. However, we simply had less talent and speed in this game. At the beginning we were unable to run the ball in any way because their defensive line was getting so much penetration and doing it quickly. So, to counter that we attempted screens and bubble screens that were also shut down completely because they covered those well. So, the only real option was to get the ball down the field a bit more to open up other plays and unfortunately, Crouch was unable to find open receivers and hit them as quickly as he needed to in order to complete those passes and even when he did, we seemed to either drop the ball or get another penalty. George was far better at being able to make the quick decision and throw a more accurate pass and when he started hitting those passes, it started to open up a few more things. I believe we learned last night that we are going to have to pick our QB based upon what the opponents defense is going to give us and Crouch is probably going to struggle to complete passes until our very young line can start protecting him enough to give him the kind of time he requires to make a throw. With what the defense was giving us, we probably could have made some better calls but they were probably also not going to work until we got George in game. For whatever reason, I am not concerned with the coaching staff failing to adjust. We will be fine but we are still really really young.

Deleted member 590820

D
Outside contain needs to improve. USF dominated inside running game by just being bigger and stronger. But DE's need to be more disciplined on outside contain. George gotta be starter from now on I assume. Crouch a situation QB. I'm happy to finish non con 2-1. Bowl possibility looks brighter with George at QB.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
I don't understand. Why people are saying crouch should be in depending who the opponent in. The offense has NO rhythm when he is in. Is it ideal that JR is our best hope at QB? No... but you deal with it and cater to what you have. And what we have is 1) good running backs and 2) a QB who can throw the ball to young dynamic receivers and running backs. ... USE IT. I saw the inadequacy of crouc the first week and questioned how he got the starting position and after the second game questioned why he was still getting reps.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
We were getting hits but they were breaking tackles or dragging a couple of our guys along for three or four more yards--or five--and bingo, first downs. And they were converting third downs after we had held them for third and long. So frustrating. It seemed we we're perpetually so close...but of course the old horseshoes and hand grenades conundrum.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
We were getting hits but they were breaking tackles or dragging a couple of our guys along for three or four more yards--or five--and bingo, first downs. And they were converting third downs after we had held them for third and long. So frustrating. It seemed we we're perpetually so close...but of course the old horseshoes and hand grenades conundrum.

I'd be interested to compare the yards after contact numbers. We were bouncing off those guys like they were superballs covered in Vaseline and they didn't miss many tackles at all.

I'd be interested to compare the yards after contact numbers. We were bouncing off those guys like they were superballs covered in Vaseline and they didn't miss many tackles at all.

That is a direct result of our youth and disparity in physical strength between teams.

The good news is I fully believe that once our athletes mature they are plenty gifted enough to win a bunch of games. This team is loaded with athletes and good football players. They are just a bit young at this point.

Deleted member 16340

D
I'm sorry, but I'm calling out the coaching staff on this one. Too many penalties goes to discipline. They had to know the make up of USF's defense. Why no miss direction running plays? Put two running backs in and use a lead blocker quickly up the middle or a fake hand off. Have we thrown a screen pass all year? What about a hurry up offense for a change of pace. I'm sorry, but the lack of imagination on offense and the questionable on field discipline, really has me concerned. I have this sick feeling that JFG May be calling the offensive plays. That said, I do see light at the end of the tunnel.

Deleted member 533939

D
Hate to break it to you all, but George isn't the answer. He may very well be better than Crouch, but either way, the offense is going to struggle this year. McGee would love a QB like that kid on USF. That's the type of offense he wants to run.

IlliniRocketFan

Rochester, IL
Hate to break it to you all, but George isn't the answer. He may very well be better than Crouch, but either way, the offense is going to struggle this year. McGee would love a QB like that kid on USF. That's the type of offense he wants to run.

But he doesn't have a QB like the kid at USF, so you work with what is best for your situation. When you have Dudek, Turner, Smalling, Dorsey and Epstein, how is having a QB that can't throw better then George? I feel sorry for Dudek because he is finally healthy and now doesn't have a QB to get it to him. Is George the the second coming of his father, probably not, but he seemed to move the ball last night.

If you brought Lovie and Company in here to install their system and style of play, then that is what you let them run. This is just the prelude for better days ahead. Our future qb will keep defenses honest with the run threat. Is Crouch good enough? No but they think he fits their system better. Small consolation but it's where we are at after years of irrelevancy.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
That is a direct result of our youth and disparity in physical strength between teams.

The good news is I fully believe that once our athletes mature they are plenty gifted enough to win a bunch of games. This team is loaded with athletes and good football players. They are just a bit young at this point.

There were a number of times that Flowers looked like he was going to get plucked. It looked like a wildlife video where lions have a zebra cornered and about to roll him--you could see fear in his body language--but (as in a Disney wildlife movie) the zebra manages to escape. Dang it, we were too close to Disney Word. And we need for our lions to get a little stronger. And that will happen. It's a shame Flowers won't be coming to our Serengetti.