Admin
Monday, April 2nd | San Antonio, TX

1 Villanova vs 3 Michigan, 8:20pm CT, TBS

Saturday, March 31st | San Antonio, TX

3 Michigan vs 11 Loyola, 5:09pm, TBS

1 Villanova vs 1 Kansas, 7:49pm, TBS

All times CT

Last edited:
Can't even dream about pulling for Kansas or Michigan. Those two programs illicit a small regurgitation into my mouth every time.

How many times has the BIG had the national runner up since MSU won the title? Seems like a bunch. scUM can continue the trend....

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
I am as torn as one could be. I am one of the rare ones that still likes Michigan as I grew up a Michigan fan (Illinois above them forever though), and I have followed these guys all year and think MAAR is great and Beilein is the best, and just really appreciate the way this team plays. Would love to see these guys get a title, especially after vacated Louisville is the reason why the 2013 guys don't have a title.

But, I also jumped aboard the Loyola bandwagon. Since Porter Moser is a fellow Benet alum and has been fairly visible in Chicago since he got the job, I have been following the team since he got there, and and paid attention throughout the year at how they were doing. Would be a great story to see them win.

Then, if Villanova wins, I make some cash. A lot of cash if they beat Loyola, a little cash if they beat Michigan. Plus if Michigan wins the title, then my friend wins the big sum of cash, and I really don't want to see that.

So I'm really torn. Don't know who or what I want to root for (but I'm leaning towards the cash option). But at least I can say screw Kansas.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The Ramblin' Rover

[YOUTUBE]55bMnnwSlpk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm pulling for anyone but Nova. I went to the East Regional and think their fans are more obnoxious and entitled than Ohio State and Notre Dame football fans. I went to the regional thinking I'd cheer for Nova, and left disgusted that I have to watch them this weekend.

Sadly, I think we get Nova over Michigan on Monday.

haasi

New York
Maybe B1G wins both tourneys? Would be a fun capper on a "down" year.

This would be great. Second only, of course, to Illinois actually making the tourney...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 4333

D
Ran across this video of the 1963 NCAA championship game between Loyola and Cincinnati. Couple of things I remember about the game. National interest was so small in the tourney back then that it was played on tape delay after the 10:00 o'clock news . . . even in Chicago. I stayed up to watch it for awhile, but Cincinnati got so far ahead that I gave up and went to bed.

After watching this video, I'm amazed at the low quality of play back then. Especially for an NCAA championship.

[YOUTUBE]JlSMQTbXf5o[/YOUTUBE]

Red Rush with the play by play, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to final four practices today. Svi M from Kansas has a freakin stroke. Catch and shoot, dribble pull-up, step back, side step, fadeaway, on the move. He hit everything. And that’s when he was messing around with his left hand! Nantz interviewed Bill Self who encouraged Kansas fans to stay sober enough to not fall in the river. Villanova did everything with intent. Other teams came out and shot, ran through drills. Villanova came out to win practice. I was very impressed. They were super organized and very efficient. Singularly focused as a group.

Unfortunately I didn’t get there early enough to see Loyola. But if I had to pick a champ based on how they practice, Villanova for sure. I came away with a new respect for them.

My heart says Loyola.

But over the course of the year, and for the first four games of the Tourney, Villanova has been the team that looks the most capable of winning against various styles of play.

I'm pulling for anyone but Nova. I went to the East Regional and think their fans are more obnoxious and entitled than Ohio State and Notre Dame football fans. I went to the regional thinking I'd cheer for Nova, and left disgusted that I have to watch them this weekend.

Sadly, I think we get Nova over Michigan on Monday.

They are from Philly. No other explanation necessary.

Went to final four practices today. Svi M from Kansas has a freakin stroke. Catch and shoot, dribble pull-up, step back, side step, fadeaway, on the move. He hit everything. And that’s when he was messing around with his left hand! Nantz interviewed Bill Self who encouraged Kansas fans to stay sober enough to not fall in the river. Villanova did everything with intent. Other teams came out and shot, ran through drills. Villanova came out to win practice. I was very impressed. They were super organized and very efficient. Singularly focused as a group.

Unfortunately I didn’t get there early enough to see Loyola. But if I had to pick a champ based on how they practice, Villanova for sure. I came away with a new respect for them.

Anything special noted regarding MI?

Anything special noted regarding MI?

Somebody (pretty sure it was here) previously posted a link about how Belien preaches fundamentals. They worked a ton of passing and shooting, as well as some ballhandling. The article said he is big on pass/catch with two hands on the ball and two feet on the ground. That was readily apparent. Even in a full court running/passing drill like the 3 man weave, they would jump stop to catch the ball. A couple guys loosened up every now and then and threw down some sweet dunks on a backdoor cut drill and the 3 man weave. But Charles Mathews was noticeably conservative. Never dunked, didn’t seem to push himself speed wise. I’m not sure if he was being overly cautious not to get hurt, which I would understand, or if he is being slowed by something.

I assumed Ray Jackson would be around but I didn’t see him. I come across him quite a bit in the Austin prep hoops scene. There were a lot of people from the austin scene who were there, which is why not seeing him made it a bit more noticeable. Although I guess technically he doesn’t exist wrt Michigan basketball.