Villanova 79, Michigan 62

All the touch fouls going Villanova's way so far this game. Every time they drive and they are bumped, there's been a foul called. Michigan drives, gets bumped, no foul called.

It is obvious that we need better athletes and guys that can shoot the three.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
So if Brunson uses his elbow to knock his defender out of the play it isn’t a foul but if Wagner does it to Brunson that’s a foul. I get it.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
I have to admit there are lots of no-calls I don’t agree with and several calls that really weren’t there. It’s a fast game to officiate but it doesn’t seem very well done to me.

And yes, Wagner has great footwork and is a bit of a freak. (German edition)

Nice of the announcers to mention the Tarheels win in '05. :(
& why does the horn down there sound like it was stolen out of an 80's compact car? ;)

Villanova with a 2nd national title in 3 years. 2nd championship for the city of Philadelphia in the last couple months.

First time a city has a Super Bowl champion and the men's national champion in the same year.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Throwback to 2014 when Jalen Brunson announced his college decision and watching it live, I thought (for a split second) that the shirt underneath was an ILLINOIS shirt due to what I thought was "INO".

DZ1HNqsU0AI25po.jpg:small

Interesting that two small, private, Catholic universities win both national Div. 1 titles in basketball and another makes the FF. So much for large public universities and their 150 million athletic budgets (Ky., UNC, KU, Mi., MSU, UCLA, etc. Maybe there are a good % of talented kids who believe in their coach and are not all about greed.

Interesting that two small, private, Catholic universities win both national Div. 1 titles in basketball and another makes the FF. So much for large public universities and their 150 million athletic budgets (Ky., UNC, KU, Mi., MSU, UCLA, etc. Maybe there are a good % of talented kids who believe in their coach and are not all about greed.

Private schools can choose to admit anyone.

Been that way all night.

Was that way all tournament. Villanova was the best team and would have won regardless. But, in every game I watched they got favorable officiating. And the fact that I have turned to a Nova hater after interacting with their fans a bit has nothing to do with my opinion.

haasi

New York
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Since 2010, Wright has never had a recruiting class finish inside the top 20 in 247Sports’ rankings. In 2013 his class finished 36th, in 2014 it was 48th, in 2015 it was 29th, in 2016 it was 45th and in 2017 it was 28th. With those classes, from 2013 through this season, Villanova has a record of 165-21 (.887). The Wildcats have won four Big East regular season titles, three Big East Tournament titles, three Final Four appearances and two national titles.
Talk about doing more with less.

Wright consistently finds smart, versatile, disciplined players. Guys like Ryan Arcidiacono, Kris Jenkins, Josh Hart, Phil Booth, Mikal Bridges and Donte DiVincenzo were all undervalued nationally. They’ve been key cogs on national championship teams for Wright.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/03/jay-wright-villanova-college-basketball-best-coach/

Pretty amazing. Put Jay Wright among those select high major coaches who consistently recruits for fit, develops players, and wins. (Beilein, Bo Ryan...) There aren’t many. We can just hope Brad has some capability on this front.

haasi

New York
Best NBA player from last nights game?

Tempted to go DiVincenzo.

I’d probably agree, either him or bridges.

Wagner, Matthews, and Brunson will all get shots, but hard to see any of them being a serious impact player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d probably agree, either him or bridges.

Wagner, Matthews, and Brunson will all get shots, but hard to see any of them being a serious impact player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridges is a future lottery pick and the latest mock draft has Brunson late in the 1st round. Matthews can't shoot.

Since MSU won it all in 2000, below are the Big Ten teams that have been in the NCAA finals. Why is it that Big Ten teams have had success getting to the finals, but then can’t win the big game? For all the talk about the Big Ten’s football struggles in the BCS, the basketball struggles seem even worse.

2002: Indiana (lost)
2005: Illinois (lost)
2007: OSU (lost)
2009: MSU (lost)
2013: Michigan (lost)
2015: Wisconsin (lost)
2018: Michigan (lost)

Andre Miller can't jump over a phone book and played in the NBA for 16 years. Brunson has that kind of intelligence on the court and is a better shooter, I wouldn't bet against him.