Virginia 85, Texas Tech 77 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
While TT and Auburn are playing very well, my thinking is that the pressure is going to get to them more than Virginia and MSU, who have experienced more recent success.

Even though he's my least favorite person in all of college sports I would have to think that Pearl's personality would deflect a lot of the pressure and attention away from his players.

Mich St wins both final four games by double digits, Bruce Pearl is a dirt bag and a perfect fit in the Sec

I wish so badly that Bruce Pearl weren't coaching Auburn ... orange and blue school at their first EVER Final Four as a 5-seed? They'd be the easy pick for me, and now I find myself hoping they lose. Probably pulling for MSU (they have sufficiently passed us by in terms of historical prestige to the point where it'd take us years to catch them anyway) and kind of Texas Tech.

P.S. I was just thinking how no team has a geographic/hometown advantage at all in this Final Four, and it made me curious to see what teams have played in their "own backyards" in years past like we did in St. Louis in 2005:

2019 - Minneapolis, MN - No one
2018 - San Antonio, TX - No one
2017 - Glendale, AZ - No one
2016 - Houston, TX - No one
2015 - Indianapolis, IN - Kentucky (maybe Michigan State?)
2014 - Arlington, TX - No one
2013 - Atlanta, GA - No one
2012 - New Orleans, LA - No one
2011 - Houston, TX - No one
2010 - Indianapolis, IN - Butler (maybe Michigan State?)
2009 - Detroit, MI - Michigan State
2008 - San Antonio, TX - No one
2007 - Atlanta, GA - No one (maybe Florida?)
2006 - Indianapolis, IN - No one
2005 - St. Louis, MO - Illinois
2004 - San Antonio, TX - No one (maybe Oklahoma State?)
2003 - New Orleans, LA - No one
2002 - Atlanta, GA - No one
2001 - Minneapolis, MN - No one
2000 - Indianapolis, IN - No one (maybe Michigan State?)

Really makes you realize how lucky we were for 2005 to be in St. Louis when you look at how often it returns to Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio and other not-so-close locations. For anyone wondering/planning our amazing resurgence, here are the locations in the coming seasons:

2020 - Atlanta, GA
2021 - Indianapolis, IN (LET'S DO IT! :p)
2022 - New Orleans, LA
2023 - Houston, TX
2024 - Glendale, AZ
2025 - San Antonio, TX
2026 - Indianapolis, IN

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
For anyone wondering/planning our amazing resurgence, here are the locations in the coming seasons:

2020 - Atlanta, GA
2022 - New Orleans, LA
2023 - Houston, TX
2024 - Glendale, AZ
2025 - San Antonio, TX
2026 - Indianapolis, IN
I'm game for the highlighted, FWIW.

Although I'd honestly rather watch on TV with a bunch of people than sit in the rafters in a football stadium.

SKane

Tennessee
I'm happy that Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Houston, and North Carolina are gone.

I'd like to see Auburn lose next.

I'm happy with Texas Tech, MSU or Virginia.

I think that Virginia will win it all.

Anybody but Auburn

As much as Pearl is a lying sleezebag, he's a helluva coach. And the NCAA doesn't seem to do anything about sleezy coaches. Maybe some lip service, and the occasional slap on the wrist.

After watching this much of the tournament, this year seems wide open. Anyone can win it. Although Auburn should be a long shot given they're a notch below everyone else and missing a star player.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Really makes you realize how lucky we were for 2005 to be in St. Louis when you look at how often it returns to Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio and other not-so-close locations. For anyone wondering/planning our amazing resurgence, here are the locations in the coming seasons:

2020 - Atlanta, GA
2022 - New Orleans, LA
2023 - Houston, TX
2024 - Glendale, AZ
2025 - San Antonio, TX
2026 - Indianapolis, IN

Looking at all these host cities and I feel like Chicago is a glaring absence. Another reason the Bears need to build a new retractable roof stadium :p

The NCAA does not the tournament to be in world class type cities. Hence no NY LA or Chicago. They prefer middling sized big cities where they are the only show in town. In NY the FF would be just another thing to do.

Look for metro areas of 2 to 3 million people and that is where they tend to go.

sacraig

The desert
The NCAA does not the tournament to be in world class type cities. Hence no NY LA or Chicago. They prefer middling sized big cities where they are the only show in town. In NY the FF would be just another thing to do.

Look for metro areas of 2 to 3 million people and that is where they tend to go.

The exception here is Houston, which is the 4th largest city in the country yet keeps getting the tournament.

Have to throw Purdue's Haarms in harms way as well for this category... not that i am in any way advocating violence...

It's a shame, too, because Haarms is allegedly a pretty nice guy, though I hate him on the court.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Now I’m even more pissed at that New Mexico State kid that missed 2 of 3 free throws with one second left and a chance to knock Auburn out in the first round. Auburn was peeing down their leg...and now I have to see bruce pearl have success and it grinds my gears.

Can’t believe some of the articles about how Duke’s loss is bad for college basketball and no one cares about the tournament without them and Zion. Incredible.

I know where you are coming from, but national ratings are not likely to be as high as they would have been if Zion were playing. It has nothing to do with Duke and everything to do with Zion. The non-basketball fan and casual fans tune in to watch Zion to see what freakishly athletic thing he will do next. Something they have never seen before from anyone built like him. I believe he will have that same attraction in the NBA for the casual fan and why he is so coveted by sponsors and NBA people alike. The other thing I have loved about Zion is that Kansas, Kentucky and UNC fans all got sick to their stomach every time his name was mentioned this year. :) I'm glad Michigan State won, but I have to admit, I loved watching Zion play this year and loved rubbing it in with the Kansas and Kentucky fans I know.

I remember when the Fab 5 took America by storm and everyone was amazed at how 5 freshman could dominate the college basketball landscape. They were cocky, unrelenting, dominant and fun to watch (except if they were playing your team). That team did not have anyone as talented as Zion, but they were very good. They couldn't get by Duke in the NCAA Championship game that year (1992). Duke was hailed as proving that experience was more important than youth, no matter how talented that youth was. Ironically the roles were reversed in Duke's loss to another Michigan team this year. Coach K has come full circle over the last 27 years.

Now I’m even more pissed at that New Mexico State kid that missed 2 of 3 free throws with one second left and a chance to knock Auburn out in the first round. Auburn was peeing down their leg...and now I have to see bruce pearl have success and it grinds my gears.

He also followed that up by beating Kansas, UNC, and UK. So I'm honestly not that upset.

I know where you are coming from, but national ratings are not likely to be as high as they would have been if Zion were playing. It has nothing to do with Duke and everything to do with Zion. The non-basketball fan and casual fans tune in to watch Zion to see what freakishly athletic thing he will do next. Something they have never seen before from anyone built like him. I believe he will have that same attraction in the NBA for the casual fan and why he is so coveted by sponsors and NBA people alike. The other thing I have loved about Zion is that Kansas, Kentucky and UNC fans all got sick to their stomach every time his name was mentioned this year. :) I'm glad Michigan State won, but I have to admit, I loved watching Zion play this year and loved rubbing it in with the Kansas and Kentucky fans I know.

I remember when the Fab 5 took America by storm and everyone was amazed at how 5 freshman could dominate the college basketball landscape. They were cocky, unrelenting, dominant and fun to watch (except if they were playing your team). That team did not have anyone as talented as Zion, but they were very good. They couldn't get by Duke in the NCAA Championship game that year (1992). Duke was hailed as proving that experience was more important than youth, no matter how talented that youth was. Ironically the roles were reversed in Duke's loss to another Michigan team this year. Coach K has come full circle over the last 27 years.

Chris Webber was pretty darn close.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Have to throw Purdue's Haarms in harms way as well for this category... not that i am in any way advocating violence...
To me it is Haarms' haircut that triggers the negative emotions (other than him playing for PU).

Deleted member 29907

D
To me it is Haarms' haircut that triggers the negative emotions (other than him playing for PU).
The hair is the large part of it. It's also the overly emotional reactions from a kinda wimpy looking guy.

Kyle Guy cut his man bun because it was causing too much grief. Any hair you have to play with or fix every time down the court needs to be gone. Full disclosure - never liked Finke's man bun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.