Virginia 85, Texas Tech 77 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not the standard approach, but nice to see it can be done. Rankings based on athleticism and basketball potential are way overrated imo...
TT.jpg

So what do we all think about tonight? I've got a chance to win a nice little purse if I can just pick the winner straight up (win keeps me in the top 3 which guarantees a payout, loss drops me and I will owe). I'm starting to lean towards UV even though I said in my head two weeks ago Texas Tech no matter what. If Owens was 100% healthy it'd be a no brainer but I thought they looked highly exposed at that end of the floor without him.

Virginia about the wrap it up in OT.

Great final to a great tournament.

But the BEST moment by far was Bruce Pearl's meltdown. Just hope that's his only over final four.

Bummer the game turned on a horrible foul call ... TT up 3, 73-70, 2:45 remaining in OT ... when two UVA players tripped over each other, but they called a foul against TT. Wasn’t even a hard call; both UVA players stumbled; ref made the call on assumption.

I don't know if we ever had a shot at the last coaching search, but I seem to recall many saying they didn't want Bennett because his brand of basketball was boring. I have to say I'd probably take it.

I don't know if we ever had a shot at the last coaching search, but I seem to recall many saying they didn't want Bennett because his brand of basketball was boring. I have to say I'd probably take it.

I 100% remember his name being mentioned and that luke warm reception. Not sure how valid the speculation was.

Good to see one of the good programs and good guy coaches win and not the cheaters like KU UK Duke North Carolina Auburn Oregon and so on and so forth

Bummer the game turned on a horrible foul call ... TT up 3, 73-70, 2:45 remaining in OT ... when two UVA players tripped over each other, but they called a foul against TT. Wasn’t even a hard call; both UVA players stumbled; ref made the call on assumption.
Another most Valuable Ref nominee for Virginia to ponder...

It's crazy thinking back to my EIU days. I remember vividly watching Tony Bennett play two games in little Lantz Gym (Wisconsin-Green Bay was in our conference) and he just won a national championship as a college coach. I also got to watch Sean Payton play quarterback and he even hung out in my dorm room one time, and he went on to win a Super Bowl as a coach. I also watched many Bears games in my friend's room with Jurkovic.

Who would have guessed you would see so much future greatness in Charleston, IL?

Obviously not the standard approach, but nice to see it can be done. Rankings based on athleticism and basketball potential are way overrated imo...

I wouldn't say "way" overrated. The other three teams in the final 4 were made up of top 100 talent. I think you're right that you can't rely solely on rankings and that's why coaches go to games to see their actual performance in a true setting, but age also has something to do with it. BU said it during an interview that these teams are older. TTech was made up of 4 key seniors. Freshman played a role, yes, but it was experience that led the day.

Hey, I"m a convert with BU's and the staff's ability to scout players. GB is a great example. Allan Griffin...another solid role player. I mean, these unranked players can really add to the team and provide stability over the course of their college career. We need to get older, with the right pieces.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I will admit, I was checked out of the game last night early. Those first 10 minutes hurt my eyes to watch. But Tech has a ton of ball pressure on defense like BU is trying to get. Can someone more knowledgable breakdown where we are lacking and Tech makes the pressure system work?

I am not more knowledgeable, but having someone in the Tariq Owens role would make a big difference for us. I would say his ankle injury was Virginia's true stroke of luck for last night's game.

It's crazy thinking back to my EIU days. I remember vividly watching Tony Bennett play two games in little Lantz Gym (Wisconsin-Green Bay was in our conference) and he just won a national championship as a college coach. I also got to watch Sean Payton play quarterback and he even hung out in my dorm room one time, and he went on to win a Super Bowl as a coach. I also watched many Bears games in my friend's room with Jurkovic.

Who would have guessed you would see so much future greatness in Charleston, IL?

No way! I was in Douglas Hall with Jurkovich! He was good friends with the sports writer Al Lagatolla who was later my roommate!

I am not more knowledgeable, but having someone in the Tariq Owens role would make a big difference for us. I would say his ankle injury was Virginia's true stroke of luck for last night's game.
I also think strength, experience and bulldog personalities had a lot to do with it. Mooney has as much dog in him as Dre, but is bigger and stronger.

In my 7 years between undergrad and grad school, all I saw was Jimmy Garoppolo before Dino Babers got there. Garoppolo didn't impress me before Babers was there. Unfortunately I got to Charleston the year after Romo graduated.

breadman

Herndon, VA
In my 7 years between undergrad and grad school, all I saw was Jimmy Garoppolo before Dino Babers got there. Garoppolo didn't impress me before Babers was there. Unfortunately I got to Charleston the year after Romo graduated.

I hear you. I got there the year after Boudreau left as the first undergrad ever to go pro to the Indians. And look where that got him! Looking for the proper emoji...

Status
Not open for further replies.