War Chant has been retired

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Which makes the hunt for cultural appropriation even more ridiculous. It never ends. Why should I, or anyone, take these hunters seriously?

I agree. I had a couple posts pretty much saying that but they were deleted. It's a losing battle for everyone. Even those who are 'anti-appropriation', they just don't realize it. It's senseless and a waste of time.

illini80

Forgottonia
I find it interesting that everyone in the Administration continues to say the 3 in 1 is safe. Why? How is it any less (or more) offensive than the war chant? How is Oskee Wow-Wow not offensive if the war chant is? Whether or not any of this pre-dates the Chief has nothing to do with the offensiveness or lack of any of the Native American imagery, so that argument makes no sense whatsoever.

This controversy will never go away while they are piecemealing items away one at a time, which only reignites things over and over.

If it's going to end, do it now. All of it. And let this chapter be over.

I believe retiring the Chief and eventually all things Illini is a marketing problem. I might have taken my family to a game just to "see the tradition" even if the product on the field or court was bad. Currently, I decide to go if I think we might compete at a level that has some significance. For football that would be a chance to compete in the west.

Back to traditions you can market. First one is winning. It cures everything. The Chief wasn't a bad second tradition you could sell. I realize the Chief isn't coming back but building a similar tradition that sticks probably isn't happening either.

I'll confess that I was at a tailgate on Saturday with my wife and son (15) and chose not to buy tickets and go inside. The Ball St matchup seemed like a no win watch. No big deal if we won and a real disappointment if we didn't. It did cross my mind that I would have taken my kid in to see the Chief dance if it was still a tradition. Otherwise, we had other things we needed to do while in CU.

Later that night, I watched the FSU Seminole ride his horse around their stadium like a crazed warrior. Seemed silly I couldn't have experienced a ceremonial dance. Anyway, not a big deal. It is what it is.

Last edited:

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

He called on the UI to stop the sale of merchandise with Chief logos, end the association of the nickname "Fighting Illini" with Native Americans, stop supporting appearances by unofficial Chief portrayers at UI events, and stop the appointment of new Chiefs by others, as the symbol is the property of the university.

Kaufman, an emeritus UI professor, said the UI has failed to fulfill the original resolution retiring the Chief, which called for an end to the use of Native Amerian imagery as an athletic symbol along with "the related regalia" and logo.

"There is no place in America for the perpetuation of of racism and racial stereotyping," Kaufman said.

Notably, Kaufman didn't call for dropping the name "Fighting Illini" but restoring it to its "original connotation." He pointed out that the agreement with the NCAA allowing the university to continue using the name urged that it conduct an educational campaign to help people understand its origins and "the lack of any direct association with Native Americans.

The name was originally used to honor soldiers who fought in World War I.

Illinois "can be a leader" in the national movement to remove racial symbols that "dishonor, promote discord & perpetuate racial hostility," Kaufman said said.

Honestly? I would take that arrangement in a heartbeat, and from reading this thread, most of you people who are allegedly afraid of the slippery slope should, too. The 3-in-1 without the Chief is a bizarre shell of itself, anyway.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora

This professor can't have it both ways. He wants to stop the University's use of the symbol in clothing, AND wants the University to assert its ownership control by preventing others' use of the symbol. It doesn't work like that. #1 The University can't prevent other organizations from designating Cheifs. But #2 if the University wants to maintain its ownership of the Chief Illiniwek trademark, they must continue to use it in commerce. Once they cease using the trademark in commerce, they abandon the trademark, and it becomes fair game for others to use it however they would like. The University appears to understand this, but it goes to show how much this opposition (one noisy professor) understands the issue.

SKane

Tennessee
"Once they cease using the trademark in commerce, they abandon the trademark, and it becomes fair game for others to use it however they would like."

I believe that this is a correct statement. I am wondering how much the trademark has to be used for the University to maintain control?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
"Once they cease using the trademark in commerce, they abandon the trademark, and it becomes fair game for others to use it however they would like."

I believe that this is a correct statement. I am wondering how much the trademark has to be used for the University to maintain control?

I don't think they need to use it at all. I believe the trademark is associated with the school paying to keep the TM attached to it.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I don't think they need to use it at all. I believe the trademark is associated with the school paying to keep the TM attached to it.

It has to be used, otherwise the trademarked item can fall into the public domain.

http://www.theipcenter.com/2005/03/consequences-for-failure-to-use-a-trademark/

Abandonment of Trademarks
A trademark owner will lose their rights to the mark if they abandon it. The Lanham Act defines “abandonment” as non-use of a mark with intent to not resume such use. A trademark shall be considered “abandoned” in the event of either of the following:
Its use has been discontinued with intent not to resume such use; or
An act or omission of the owner causes the mark to become a generic name for the goods or services for which it is used.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora

What was said in the last post is correct. Trademarks as a right do not actually require any money to be paid for it to exist. It only requires use in commerce. Paying for trademark registration can help give you certain protections for your already existing trademark. But if a trademark no longer exists, paying the government for it does nothing, and once the PTAB discovers that the trademark as been abandoned, it will cancel the registration.