War Chant has been retired

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
For a lot, yes. But to pretend that there isn't a measureable amount of people that will say screw it because of the loss of every tradition this university has isn't fair either.

If "every tradition this university has" was tied to Chief Illiniwek, then we are a pretty f'ng lame university.

For all of you who think it takes away from the culture and experience of our games, something new will pop up in its place. Something new will be found to hype the crowd on third downs. Something new will be found for timeouts. In the end, Illinois athletes will still be in O+B, doing their best to win games.

I'm certainly new to U of I as a parent since 2013, so my time is very limited. I'm not an alumni and have no other connection to the school. I know Chief as been gone for 10 years and that's a very tough to those who are connected to the tradition. I can say after having attending tons of games, that his absence is a presence, which is kinda cool. I wish he was back for sure though.

But I have to say that with the removal of the War Chant, however small that might feel to some, it feels more and more like this university and its athletics have no identity. No common bond, no rallying cry, no singleness, no distinction that sets U of I apart. What fun is that in college? How can those in charge of trying to bring back crowds and enthusiasm make much progress if there's the ever present undercurrent of the past that's never really been dealt with?

Something like this has to exist for past, present and future student and fans. A long, slow fade of Chief and all that is associated with him is not a path. Either bring him back, guns a blazzin', or retire it all but have something in place to begin anew.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog on this one. This will lead to the Gameday atmosphere becoming even cheesier. Along with the MAKE SOME NOISE!!! coming from the jumbotron, we'll now have some modern crap forced upon us for third downs. Can't wait to have Bruno Mars playing during the basketball warmups too.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Along with the MAKE SOME NOISE!!! coming from the jumbotron, we'll now have some modern crap forced upon us for third downs.

As has already been said, when it comes to actually making the stadium louder, pretty much anything we do on 3rd down will be an improvement over "everybody try to slow clap in unison"

As has already been said, when it comes to actually making the stadium louder, pretty much anything we do on 3rd down will be an improvement over "everybody try to slow clap in unison"

I'm not saying the war chant was loud enough. I'd even accept moving it from third downs to other times. Just recent history shows that they replace it with cheeseball "excitement" things that make me feel like I'm at a minor league baseball game, which I would much prefer the war chant over. It's like when they do that horrible widlcat meow at Ryan Field...

...all that being said...we start winning games in 2018 and beyond, we're not going to need any of that, as Memorial Stadium will start rocking on its own again.

I'm not saying the war chant was loud enough. I'd even accept moving it from third downs to other times. Just recent history shows that they replace it with cheeseball "excitement" things that make me feel like I'm at a minor league baseball game, which I would much prefer the war chant over. It's like when they do that horrible widlcat meow at Ryan Field...

...all that being said...we start winning games in 2018 and beyond, we're not going to need any of that, as Memorial Stadium will start rocking on its own again.

Absent any real identity that sets it apart, U of I's game day atmosphere will continue to feel like a minor league baseball experience. Nobody wants that. That's what makes this so sad.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Absent any real identity that sets it apart, U of I's game day atmosphere will continue to feel like a minor league baseball experience. Nobody wants that. That's what makes this so sad.

Like, what do you even mean when you say this? What about the War Chant was giving the game day atmosphere "an identity"?

Sidenote, minor league baseball is fun as hell.

Like, what do you even mean when you say this? What about the War Chant was giving the game day atmosphere "an identity"?

I knew I was at an Illinois football game. It felt like how "Illinois football" should feel.

No reputable college football program wants to be like minor league baseball. Ever.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Seriously though, can anyone tell me one tradition that stands out to you that we still have other than the 3-and-1(which the long term goal is to get rid of). There is nothing unifying about our culture anymore, and there is nothing unique about us. We have a shield. Cool. Other than that, we're a generic orange school that plays 90s hits and has Will Ferrell saying "get louder" on the jumbo tron like every other school in the world.

I go to Notre Dame now, and I can list off literally 10-15 sport related things that are exactly the same when my brother went in the early 2000s, and a solid 5-10 that are exactly the same as when my dad went in the 70s. That is tradition. That is culture. We have literally NONE of that anymore.

Seriously though, can anyone tell me one tradition that stands out to you that we still have other than the 3-and-1(which the long term goal is to get rid of). There is nothing unifying about our culture anymore, and there is nothing unique about us. We have a shield. Cool. Other than that, we're a generic orange school that plays 90s hits and has Will Ferrell saying "get louder" on the jumbo tron like every other school in the world.

I go to Notre Dame now, and I can list off literally 10-15 sport related things that are exactly the same when my brother went in the early 2000s, and a solid 5-10 that are exactly the same as when my dad went in the 70s. That is tradition. That is culture. We have literally NONE of that anymore.

NAILED it, well done.

It isn't that it's one song, it's that it's the continued erosion of identity that's long, slow and frankly painful to see.

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA

Minor League baseball is indeed "Where it is at"

Also, agree with everything you've said, thanks for being a voice of reason I can vicariously live through! :thumb:

Well said. Although, as an Irish Catholic, I am deeply offended by the hostile and abusive leprechaun they have prancing on the sidelines. Doesn't represent my culture. Not all Irish people are little gingers that always seem to be picking fights. Also, their fight song has a chime that has a hint of Irish music; get rid of it. The tartan/plaid on the band uniforms - offensive and appropriating my culture. Notre Dame should not be allowed to host post-season activities until it has removed all vestiges of Irish-ness and changed its mascot to the Indiana Dunes, as surely sand is not offensive.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
How are you gonna pay for the tickets? Barter?

Because somehow you can't put two and two together i'll make it as easy as i can on your head.... I'll buy tickets but never make large donations again. Does that make it easier to understand my good sir?

ScalpEmIllini1980

Southern California
Man there are a lot of cry baby's in here. The funny thing is that the people who cry out against political correctness and say "just because you are upset by something, doesn't mean we should get rid of it," are being quite hypocritical. You are saying that political correctness upsets you?

OK, well, just because political correctness upsets you, it doesn't mean we should get rid of it.

Also, it's a song. If one song was the only thing keeping you a fan of the team/university, then you are an awful fan.
Fair point, but you're overlooking why this is beyond offensive to those who support Illiniwek, the 3-in-1, and the War Chant.

Political correctness is responsible for removing these entities from our university's long line of historical traditions, right? We would all agree on that. However, supporters of the symbol and accompanying songs are indicted by proxy AT A MORAL LEVEL thanks to those who wish to reduce them to cultural appropriationists and racists. Those people, of course, are the governing body of the institution. The same ones we publicly entrust with the well-being of the institution. That doesn't exactly go over well with decades-old scores of alumni who do not consider themselves any of these villifying terms based on their appreciation of a well-respected symbol and some sheet music. And it never will.

FWIW, if people are reading this thread (and contributing to it) 10+ years post-Chief, I think they're probably still loyal fans of the university. Would you agree?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Crazy Joe Davola

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Well said. Although, as an Irish Catholic, I am deeply offended by the hostile and abusive leprechaun they have prancing on the sidelines. Doesn't represent my culture. Not all Irish people are little gingers that always seem to be picking fights. Also, their fight song has a chime that has a hint of Irish music; get rid of it. The tartan/plaid on the band uniforms - offensive and appropriating my culture. Notre Dame should not be allowed to host post-season activities until it has removed all vestiges of Irish-ness and changed its mascot to the Indiana Dunes, as surely sand is not offensive.

robin-williams.jpg

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
This thread is like a fireworks display of posts highlighting why Illinois Football and Basketball need a prolonged period of winning.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

You know what Notre Dame has done a lot of since the '70s? Won football games.

Everyone up in arms about "ermagehrd we're losing the traditionz!" - traditions of what? Losing seasons? Half-full stadiums? I'm pretty ok with breaking those links to the past. Win games and the new culture will take care of itself.

Alcohol got me more fired up than that damn fake Indian music from old Westerns. I vote for FREE BEER at the games!

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
You know what Notre Dame has done a lot of since the '70s? Won football games.

Everyone up in arms about "ermagehrd we're losing the traditionz!" - traditions of what? Losing seasons? Half-full stadiums? I'm pretty ok with breaking those links to the past. Win games and the new culture will take care of itself.

New culture by erasing the past? Guess all those hype videos from illini vids about respecting our past were not true. You know what? I'm beyond appalled that anyone would think that using spartans as their school mascot would think its ok. Its degrading to my Greek Heritage. I demand MSU and USC remove any half naked statues and cartoon mascots of my proud heritage from their campuses immediately

First they take our confederate war memorials, now are indian war chant? Is nothing from 1867-1999 sacred? SAD! :tsk: